Advice on 1996 LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
28348439-C23E-49EF-A545-323A12F719E9.jpeg
7096E0AC-C735-4491-ABAF-5CE5D9A524E2.jpeg
960D7673-5217-4FD2-B75C-FED1BFBC8952.jpeg
Thanks for advice in advance.

1996 LX450 with 280k miles. Runs and drives fine. Standard oil leak on the front.

I am third owner.

I have the standard EGR codes throwing a CEL. I am cleaning the intake, EGR, etc and replacing all the tubing. Pulling the top portion of the intake off this afternoon and the intake is covered in black carbon. Is this somewhat normal?

How should I attack cleaning the lower portion of the intake? Need to remove it to clean or is there another way to clean it.

Finally, if the intake is this covered, should I be concerned about the condition of the head and valves?

Again thanks for the honest feedback.

Edit for grammar and spelling

Last edited:
... Runs and drives fine. ....

What problem are you attempting to solve? It looks dirty, motors do that, a perfect cleaning job is likely to net somewhere around zero percent change, power improvement.

What problem are you attempting to solve? It looks dirty, motors do that, a perfect cleaning job is likely to net somewhere around zero percent change, power improvement.

To pass inspection, the vehicle cannot have any error codes/CEL. It currently is throwing P0401/P0402. Wondering if I am OCDing or should I go further in.

To pass inspection, the vehicle cannot have any error codes/CEL. It currently is throwing P0401/P0402. Wondering if I am OCDing or should I go further in.

Clean it and get a new EGRif you have not already, and check your O2 sensors

It is pretty typical of high mileage engines. If you clean it out, it will come back. It is time for a rebuild.

Clean, replace ALL EGR/VSV system, after inspection put in a catch can on the PCV hose.

Yeah, but it'll make you feel better after you've spent all that time doing it ;)

Seriously, it's normal. It will come back, in about 100k miles. EGR codes are a PITA. Sometimes you can follow the FSM and get rid of them, sometimes they defy logic. Follow the FSM guidance and do the easy, inexpensive stuff first.

The EGR passage where the throttle body attaches at the upper portion of the plenum was completely blocked with carbon. Used a pick and throttle body cleaner to remove it. Going to go ahead and clean up the remainder of the plenum since I already have it apart.

F2B305DD-998A-4DB3-A251-99B86D80DBA0.jpeg

62BC4BC8-F4E6-4051-A321-B212087F52DA.jpeg

Last edited:
Pulling the lower intake means fully unplugging the wire harness for you guys.
Might as well go full HG at that point.

Or chop the lower intake flange like I did. -That's still my personal best mod.

I hotsie'd my intakes & brake/carb cleaned the throttlebody when I did my HG.

take some time to search for the resistor mod

Beyond all of the other cleaning/etc you are doing, while you've got the throttle body off be sure to check/clear the vacuum ports. Port R and E are related to p0401 if clogged. If the vacuum modulator diaphragm has failed and was putting carbon into your vacuum system there's a good chance that carbon has been sucked/lodged in one/both of these vac. ports on the TB.

Last edited:
Cleaned the plenum, throttle body, related ports and metal hoses. Replaced the VSV and with new OEM. Replace all the rubber hoses.

Drove it about 30 miles on Saturday, then on the way to work this morning, CEL. Going to check the code, the recheck everything again and and test the EGR again and may pull the trigger on a new EGR vavle.

Whoops...P0401....these two could have something to do with it.

ECC4B14F-D5E9-4974-9297-7DC663DCBBD4.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom