Builds Meet Phoenix aka Zombie (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Valve train

IMG_7868.JPG

IMG_7869.JPG

IMG_7870.JPG

IMG_7871.JPG

IMG_7872.JPG

missing firewall grommet.
broken or disconnected vac lines near charcoal can.
disconnected and missing vacuum lines at ABV and VSVs.
no IASC air tube.
aaaaaand.....

how about compression test this sucker and stop keeping us in suspense. Why did they park it??
The next plan of action is to get a couple ounces of mystery oil in each cylinder, rotate by hand and set valve lash at the same time. Go through the distributor while it's out, put some Rotella in, prime oil pump and check top end flow, crank with starter a little to push all the mystery oil out, Then compression check.
No clue why it was parked, I'm hoping to find that out.

better yet, just fire it up.....
Bear with me bud, I'm glad you're keeping an eye on this. I'm going to rely on your knowledge as I work through it. Just trying to be methodical to bring it back right and give this motor a chance.

Squirted a couple ounces of mystery oil into each cylinder and onto all rockers/pushrods. Let that sit while I pulled the distributor. I was surprised how clean it was inside. End play checks good and it spins smoothly. Looks nice and clean inside the hole, cam gear looks good and no sludge visible.

Moment of truth, put a 17 on the power steering nut and it just started smoothly turning. In the process of checking lash. #1 both were at .010 . Have to take care of a few things then get back to it. Didn't change #1 exhaust yet, I'm going to check 5 and see if it's the same.
I did get to break this thing out again..

IMG_7890.JPG

Ended up adjusting all but 2 valves.
Finished that up and primed the pump. Started seeing oil up top right as #1 intake valve was closing.
Borrowed the battery out of the 60 and ran the starter a bit, let it rest, ran it again.

Compression Check numbers...

IMG_7894.JPG

2 and 4 were low, rechecked valve lash, it was good. Ran 2 again, same result. Started thinking about it and took a ball peen and rapped on the rockers about 15 times each, rechecked and compression came up. Rapped some more, ended up right at 140. Couldn't believe that worked. I will go back and check measurements on 2 and 4 tomorrow.

Last edited:
Ended up adjusting all but 2 valves.
Finished that up and primed the pump. Started seeing oil up top right as #1 intake valve was closing.
Borrowed the battery out of the 60 and ran the starter a bit, let it rest, ran it again.

Compression Check numbers...

View attachment 1578106

Wow that looks good

So you knocked on the rocker to loosen them sticking? Then checked the lash again then did the test? Where’d you rap on them? Middle pretty much?

I was thinking there was some junk on the back side of the valves. When I pulled the #2 plug, I could see the valve sticking down. Not sure if that was it or just wasn't seating right, it worked though. I'm going to check all of them again tomorrow and double check valve lash before I button it back up.
I hit it on the valve side.

Ah I wondered that too. Interesting thought to knock loose carbon. I’d gather in that heat it would be more dry then grimy?

It is really starting to look like the engine is fairly sound. It may have been parked for something as simple as not passing smog.

It is really starting to look like the engine is fairly sound. It may have been parked for something as simple as not passing smog.
I think so too. I spent a lot of time last night thinking about 2 and 4. Looking back at the pics before the motor was turned, #2 intake was open most of the way and #4 intake was open a little. I put it back to that today and drug a scribe along the top of the valve. Quite a bit of junk for just dragging not scraping. I think a few doses of seafoam after it's running will clean it all up and compression numbers will all even out.

IMG_7904.JPG

IMG_7905.JPG

Some good news on the pillar rust, it's on the outside surface, not coming from the inside out. Haven't taken it all down yet but there's shiny metal under the deepest spot, pitted for sure.

IMG_7926.JPG

IMG_7834.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom