Accelerator cable help for 78 FJ40 RHD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having trouble finding a throttle/ accelerator cable for my 78 FJ40 RHD version. I was told that the RHD FJ40’s may have had a “bolt” through the throttle arm that actually clamps the end oF the throttle cable to secure it. Can anyone verify if this is correct? Doesn’t the US versions have a rod or something that attaches in this position? Was mine simply rigged up by the previous owner? Does anyone else have this setup? Let me know. I need to try and find a new cable, and no one seems to have one for my setup where it goes through the bracket and has the adjusting nuts, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch,

Andy
agouge888

FC0E3C24-DB38-4977-9DDD-9A3B5FD3046C.jpeg

1D76224E-93B0-446F-89F9-21614DA57022.jpeg

7F99672F-DD7A-4324-9F0D-1BFF57C0D6BB.jpeg

Andy,

I can try to check on mine this weekend. Out of town at the moment. But the last time I looked for a RHD cable in the US, I could not find one. I do carry a bicycle brake cable with me as an emergency spare (It would need some modifications). Will look when I get home and see if I can take some photos.

Guy

Andy I will check this evening and see if I still have mine left. The RHD cable and bracket are quite unique on the gas motors.

The problem you have is the cable/wire does not turn/pivot as the linkage arm on the Holley is turning, soooo you are twisting the wire every time you give throttle. Next problem, your cable/wire should be approaching the rear of the carburetor on an up hill angle since travel on the carburetor linkage arm is rearward and downward (i.e. your wire needs to travel down hill into the cable housing). I have a new cable (upgraded from the Toyota style), a new die stamped cable mounting bracket (that bolts onto the rear corner bolt of your carburetor, shown in your photos), and I have a brass cable fitting that the wire goes through, then it attaches to the linkage arm on your Holley- - -so that wire never twist, it turns as the linkage arm turns (i.e. it pivots in the linkage arm). I don't have photos handy, will get for you. Cost on my pieces is about $40.00 for new adjustable cable, bracket, and brass fitting, plus about $6.50 for flat rate envelope postage.

$_0-1.JPG
Ok, look at my ebay #253264248936 to see the new throttle cable. Not in my ebay store is the cable mounting bracket, so I have posted up a photo of it here. This bracket bolts onto the rear corner of your Holley carb, then creates the mounting platform for the carburetor end of the throttle cable housing.- - -easy deal.

View attachment 1575858 Ok, look at my ebay #253264248936 to see the new throttle cable. Not in my ebay store is the cable mounting bracket, so I have posted up a photo of it here. This bracket bolts onto the rear corner of your Holley carb, then creates the mounting platform for the carburetor end of the throttle cable housing.

Jim

With his gas pedal being on the RIGHT side of the truck, all the way up against the door jamb, and the carb still on the LEFT side, I have to wonder if your cable is long enough??? I seem to recall seeing a RHD cable on a vehicle and noting to myself that it was close to three feet long.

The RHD cable is very long and has a rotating cam action on the bracket bolted to the back of the carb. I'm not sure if the original bracket would operate the aftermarket carb.

The RHD cable is very long and has a rotating cam action on the bracket bolted to the back of the carb. I'm not sure if the original bracket would operate the aftermarket carb.

Yes, that's right! I remember that now too. The bracket looks similar to the US version, but the pivot rotates on a post instead of a rivet.

Then you could use my 44" long cable (trimmed down to length needed), we use it on V8's that have the throttle body up at the front of the engine.

Then you could use my 44" long cable (trimmed down to length needed), we use it on V8's that have the throttle body up at the front of the engine.

You da man!

Here are the pics of my 78' RHD AUS spec accelerator cable for a 2F engine.

It measures 51"

IMG_1894.JPG

Carb end

IMG_1895.JPG

Pedal end.

I hope this helps.

IMG_1896.JPG

Here is what mine looks like with a Aisin Carb and what I believe is an original Toyota accel. cable. Australian spec. Completely different to what you have.
IMG_2276.JPG

Thanks for the replies.

Yes the cable I have is around 48-51” long as 76 FJ40 has pictured. Do u have an extra cable by chance?

Downey, I see what your sayin by my cable angle from carb into the cable housing. It used to run down hill like u said it should, I had bend the bracket forward so that the old cable end would reach the mounting screw. Now it is at that bad angle and does wear on the cable. I’m not sure the 44” cable will be long enough still. Mine is roughly 48”-51” long. Have u used the 44” cable and bracket on my type setup with the Holley? Works fine and cable reaches? Let me know...I’m interested.

Thanks guys for pics and info. Keep it comin...I gotta get this fixed:)

Andy
agouge888

76 FJ40,

That would be great. Might make it easier on me than having to mod or fab something up. Let me know what I need to do.
Thank you,

Andy
agouge888

I can actually have the Downey cables made in any length desired, just takes 4-5 days before they let me pick them up. Plus may cost slightly more??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom