Pulling Motor Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserkreutz

SILVER Star
Threads
It has been determined that the F motor in my 1974 FJ55 needs to be rebuilt. I have a mechanic friend doing the work, we're considering pulling the motor, transmission and transfer case all together. Curious as to what extra things will need to be removed (transmission cover, front bib and grill etc.).

Thanks in advance, and yes I did a search.

I’ve pulled my engine/transmission/transfer case as a unit several times now and for me it’s faster and easier to pull the outer fenders then pull the inner fenders and core support off so just the frame rails and engine is exposed. The time it takes to remove the sheet metal is more than made up with the convenience of working on it without standing on a platform our laying on your back to reach all the fasteners/wiring/plumbing etc.

Good luck!

Thanks @J Mack! I should have included in my question that most of the tear down has been done. The head and alternator, water pump etc. has all been removed. I don't know if that would change your answer? I should have taken a picture dang it! Sorry, I will tomorrow.

Thanks!

Yes we are going to need pictures…

Your F engine is narrower than my BT engine and I also have about a 3” lift so that my make a difference but no I wouldn’t pull my engine or try to unhook/rehook everything climbing over the top of the fenders.

J Mack is right, it's a lot easier in the big picture to take off fenders, dog house, front bib, radiator, shifters, driveshafts, etc. Then think about putting in the new clutch and ass. parts while it's on the bench. Good time to clean and paint stuff also.

Good luck with it!

Any comments on rebuilding the F vs swapping in a 2F?

I ask because before I became caretaker my 74 has acquired a 2F...and I know my dad had already gone to a 327 when his 1970 was 4 years old due to motor issues with the F.

Any comments on rebuilding the F vs swapping in a 2F?

I ask because before I became caretaker my 74 has acquired a 2F...and I know my dad had already gone to a 327 when his 1970 was 4 years old due to motor issues with the F.

Funny you should ask. I have a freshly rebuilt 2F sitting on my engine stand. I had considered throwing it in my pig once we discovered the F was bad, but finaly decided against it. The 2F is ear marked for my FJ45 that I'm doing a frame off on. Also, contrary to what I've read on here, my machine shop said they can still get all the necessary parts for the F motor rebuild (albeit not OEM). Therefore I personally can't see any reason not to rebuild the F motor and keep this truck original. Here is a poser shot of my 2F because this thread desperately needs some pictures.

20170427_113714.jpg

J Mack is a lot smarter than I am...you CAN lift the monster with the fenders on if you are determined and like to work in the mud...

J Mack is a lot smarter than I am...

No one has ever accused me of being smart before…

you CAN lift the monster with the fenders on if you are determined and like to work in the mud...

Like Lamby said it can be done and I believe most work around the fenders when removing monsters.

If you plan to remove the fenders might be a good idea to get these on order and just use the impact to remove or break all the bolts.

Grab a couple of these to drill a hole somewhere around the center of the broken bolts, McMaster-Carr

Chuck one of these in your cordless drill to remove the remainder of the bolt and tap the holes.

McMaster-Carr

I used these bolts in the hope that future removal won’t require a drill and tap.

McMaster-Carr

Curiosity...why is it sick? Drinking oil/coolant or down on compression or ??

Curiosity...why is it sick? Drinking oil/coolant or down on compression or ??

I bought this rig off Craigslist. It ran just enough to get it loaded on the trailer...

It had two dead cylinders and a pretty bad thump towards the front of the motor, so my buddy took the head off to investigate. He discovered a bad head gasket that was most likely causing the lack of compression and the cylinder walls are determined to be scored beyond a honing job.

I did remove my hump, but maybe that was cause I needed to get to something up above the split case...

Funny you should ask. I have a freshly rebuilt 2F sitting on my engine stand. I had considered throwing it in my pig once we discovered the F was bad, but finaly decided against it. The 2F is ear marked for my FJ45 that I'm doing a frame off on. Also, contrary to what I've read on here, my machine shop said they can still get all the necessary parts for the F motor rebuild (albeit not OEM). Therefore I personally can't see any reason not to rebuild the F motor and keep this truck original. Here is a poser shot of my 2F because this thread desperately needs some pictures.

View attachment 1577400
Please excuse me while I turn green with envy. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom