Bolt on turbo kit (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HP range of the turbo is not an accurate way of measuring flow. This turbo will flow around 75lbs/min at an PR of 3.8 but it will be pushed no where near that. I have attached the compressor map which is the best way to judge flow. You have to look at the flow at the PR you will be running.

S362SX-E-Compressor-Map-800x623.png

Boost range? boost is a measurement of air flow restriction of a particular engine. This turbo maxed out on a 1.8L could probably push 50psi on an 9L engine It might only muster 8psi.

The exhaust A/R is 0.88.
Yes maybe I should have been more clear and just asked for the model turbo lol. This map shows I would be in the .72 efficiency range. I am looking for around 55 Lb/min flow and 2.2 P/R. I would rather sign up for the whole kit with the turbo included just wanted to make sure it meets my needs. I was also looking at a Garrett GTX3582r or Borg Warner S400SX3 which would meet my needs more efficiently.

Last edited:
The goal is to go from 130-135awhp to just under 200awhp. The exact number will be detailed later.

What about torque at 2000-3000 rpm? 50% gain at the wheels there too, not just top end?

What about torque at 2000-3000 rpm? 50% gain at the wheels there too, not just top end?
It would be interesting to see a torque curve turbo vs supercharger.

The goal is to go from 130-135awhp to just under 200awhp. The exact number will be detailed later.

Great answers above Ryan. One question, would the upper horsepower estimate range require a intercooler or stand alone engine management or is it done on the stock computer, no intercooler etc?

Well you're actually at the 74% efficiency map at 2.2 and 55lbs/min with this turbo which is the exact same efficiency island you would be at with the GTX3582R but this turbo is probably half the price, which is what is allowing us to be even close to the price point we set out to reach. A GTX3582R is ~$2450 alone so there would be no way to provide a kit at the prices people want to pay. This just recently became available when the BW line went from cast wheels to CNC wheels in their turbos.

Garrett GTX3582R map below.

GTX3582_COMP_0.jpg

Yes maybe I should have been more clear and just asked for the model turbo lol. This map shows I would be in the .72 efficiency range. I am looking for around 55 Lb/min flow and 2.2 P/R. I would rather sign up for the whole kit with the turbo included just wanted to make sure it meets my needs. I was also looking at a Garrett GTX3582r or Borg Warner S400SX3 which would meet my needs more efficiently.

Oh and @scottryana thanks again for putting this together. Its a lot of time and effort and I'm sure we all appreciate it.

What's most exciting to be is the chance for a legit 320 horsepower without a complicated amd expensive swap. Plus I really like the idea of keeping the 1FZE. Its such a durable motor.

Last edited:
That hp number of just under 200awhp is with an intercooler but stock computer. It is still ballpark but I am very certain it is close to target. So to put it in more meaningful numbers somewhere between 290-320hp at the engine, because I know people are just waiting to say they can swap an LS and get 360hp not knowing how much loss is in the Cruiser drivetrain.

Great answers above Ryan. One question, would the upper horsepower estimate range require a intercooler or stand alone engine management or is it done on the stock computer, no intercooler etc?

That hp number of just under 200awhp is with an intercooler but stock computer. It is still ballpark but I am very certain it is close to target. So to put it in more meaningful numbers somewhere between 290-320hp at the engine, because I know people are just waiting to say they can swap an LS and get 360hp not knowing how much loss is in the Cruiser drivetrain.

See thats value! Say a 40% increase in horsepower for a third of the price for a swap. Plus there is more power available way past 320 with a stand alone computer and exhaust. Seems like a no brainer to me

Well you're actually at the 74% efficiency map at 2.2 and 55lbs/min with this turbo which is the exact same efficiency island you would be at with the GTX3582R but this turbo is probably half the price, which is what is allowing us to be even close to the price point we set out to reach. A GTX3582R is ~$2450 alone so there would be no way to provide a kit at the prices people want to pay. This just recently became available when the BW line went from cast wheels to CNC wheels in their turbos.

Garrett GTX3582R map below.

GTX3582_COMP_0.jpg
Huh...yeah you're right I guess I was off a little on the map. Go ahead and sign me up for the whole kit!

I see the stock computer as our limitation.

Post updated to reflect an accurate list of people willing to buy.

Badass Turbo owners list
1. HDJdreams
2. ThomasMore66 - ?
3. SteelHunterFJ80
4. Heckraiser
5. DCGuillroy
6. Snow-globe
7. Bucketman

If there was a bolt on Turbo kit for ODBII 95+ cruisers using high quality US made parts, Borg Warner, Tial, etc. And the base kit was $3000. And an upgraded intercooler kit was available for another $1000.

How many people would be interested?

What questions or concerns would you have?

I know everyone wants more power and it is Mud so an engine swap should only cost $1000, but these are fairly realistic numbers, they are pretty steep considering the cost of entry into the 80 market is sometimes less than $4000, but to get high quality parts it would cost more than the CX racing junk.

Disclaimer, this is only an information gathering post, I personally am not in a position to put these kits together but I would certainly want to help make sure they are done right.

@scottryana in all your spare time :) do you mind doing some kind kind of bullet point compare/contrast of the Bolt-on kit compared to your lx450 (not the crazy newer/2nd one). Perhaps put it on the first page as a live update. Maybe something like:

Bolt-on
• key features
• aniticpated power
• cost range

Pathway options envisioned
• intercooler
• ecu
• etc

Your LX450 - list of comparative parts that are similar and above and beyond
LX450 where to start!
• etc.
• etc.
• etc.

I guess would be interesting to see compared to this too.
More Ridiculous Rambling
80 series where to start! Again....
• more
• more
• more

BTW, @scottryana amazing work and thank you for pioneering this on multiple fronts. I'm in touch with Robbie on his 4.6 build and he mentioned the bolt-on kit as an option to consider (which I am). I have a trd s/c but will need a rebuild so weighing the costs and features.

Well I guess I can give kind of a cliff notes response for people that don't want to read all the pages of my drivel. lol.

Bolt-on Turbo kit:
Turbo:
Borg Warner Airwerks 62mm
Forged CNC compressor wheel and Inconel Exhaust wheel
Journal Bearings
4" inlet, 2.5" outlet with 3" marmon flange downpipe
Max flow 78lbs/min​
Wastegate: Tial Sport MV-R 44mm
Turbo header: Stainless steel J-pipe, single scroll T4 flange
Intake: Stock airbox
Dowpipe: 3" marmon flange, with bungs for AFR
Hoses: Crimp fit AN lines
Computer: Stock OEM
Injectors: Stock OEM 315cc/min
Fuel Pump: Stock OEM
Fuel Pressure Regulator: Stock OEM
Intercooler: Still working on this - going to try for A/W direct fit between turbo and TB.
Transmission: Stock or Shift kit up to end user. I recommend Transgo shift kit.

Grey LX Turbo setup:
Turbo:
Borg Warner EFR 7670, 58mm
Forged CNC compressor wheel and Low Inertia Gamma-Ti Exhaust Wheel
Ball bearings
3.5" inlet, 2.5" outlet, with 3" v-band flange downpipe
Max flow 64lbs/min​
Wastegate: Built in recirculating valve in EFR turbo
Turbo header: Stainless steel J-pipe, twin scroll T4 flange
Intake: Custom made cold air intake with cone filter and dust cover
Dowpipe: 3" v-band flange, with bungs for AFR
Hoses: Swivel seal AN lines
Computer: Haltech Platinum Sport 2000
Injectors: 3rd or 4th Gen 3S-GTE 550cc/min
Fuel Pump: Nissan GT-R
Fuel Pressure Regulator: New Stock OEM
Intercooler: Cheap Frozenboost 600hp A/W
Water/Meth: Homemade with 300psi pump
Transmission: Transgo shift kit largest drilling

Black LX Turbo setup:
Turbo:
Garrett GTX4202R, 76mm
Forged CNC compressor wheel and Inconel Exhaust Wheel
Ball bearings
5" inlet, 3" outlet, with 4" v-band flange downpipe
Max flow 115lbs/min​
Exhaust housing: Tial Sport Stainless steel investment cast
Wastegate: Tial Sport MV-S 38mm
Turbo header: Custom stainless steel CNC collector and equal length equal radius header
Dowpipe: 4" v-band flange, with bungs for AFR
Computer: Haltech or Motec
Injectors: Injector Dynamics 1700cc/min
Fuel Pump: Triple Walbro 485
Fuel Pressure Regulator: Aeromotive
Intercooler: Garrett Core, custom endtanks
Nitrous: 100mm throttle body plate
Intake Manifold: Hypertune 100mm
Rods: Carillo Pro-H CARR bolts rated 1650hp
Pistons: CP 101mm, 10:1 pistons with 1.031 wrist pins
Wrist pins: Trend H-13
Valves: Ferrea +3mm Intake, +1mm Super alloy exhaust
Valve springs: Ferrea dual springs, with titanium retainers
Head work: Mild port and polish
Transmission: 4L80E

I am sure I am missing somethings but that should give you an idea. lol.

@scottryana in all your spare time :) do you mind doing some kind kind of bullet point compare/contrast of the Bolt-on kit compared to your lx450 (not the crazy newer/2nd one). Perhaps put it on the first page as a live update. Maybe something like:

Bolt-on
• key features
• aniticpated power
• cost range

Pathway options envisioned
• intercooler
• ecu
• etc

Your LX450 - list of comparative parts that are similar and above and beyond
LX450 where to start!
• etc.
• etc.
• etc.

I guess would be interesting to see compared to this too.
More Ridiculous Rambling
80 series where to start! Again....
• more
• more
• more

BTW, @scottryana amazing work and thank you for pioneering this on multiple fronts. I'm in touch with Robbie on his 4.6 build and he mentioned the bolt-on kit as an option to consider (which I am). I have a trd s/c but will need a rebuild so weighing the costs and features.

Last edited:
I didn’t appreciate we had levels.

Well I guess I can give kind of a cliff notes response for people that don't want to read all the pages of my drivel. lol.

Bolt-on Turbo kit:
Turbo:
Borg Warner Airwerks 62mm
Forged CNC compressor wheel and Inconel Exhaust wheel
Journal Bearings
4" inlet, 2.5" outlet with 3" marmon flange downpipe
Max flow 78lbs/min​
Wastegate: Tial Sport MV-R 44mm
Turbo header: Stainless steel J-pipe, single scroll T4 flange
Intake: Stock airbox
Dowpipe: 3" marmon flange, with bungs for AFR
Hoses: Crimp fit AN lines
Computer: Stock OEM
Injectors: Stock OEM 315cc/min
Fuel Pump: Stock OEM
Fuel Pressure Regulator: Stock OEM
Intercooler: Still working on this - going to try for A/W direct fit between turbo and TB.
Transmission: Stock or Shift kit up to end user. I recommend Transgo shift kit.

Grey LX Turbo setup:
Turbo:
Borg Warner EFR 7670, 58mm
Forged CNC compressor wheel and Low Inertia Gamma-Ti Exhaust Wheel
Ball bearings
3.5" inlet, 2.5" outlet, with 3" v-band flange downpipe
Max flow 64lbs/min​
Wastegate: Built in recirculating valve in EFR turbo
Turbo header: Stainless steel J-pipe, twin scroll T4 flange
Intake: Custom made cold air intake with cone filter and dust cover
Dowpipe: 3" v-band flange, with bungs for AFR
Computer: Haltech Platinum Sport 2000
Injectors: 3rd or 4th Gen 3S-GTE 550cc/min
Fuel Pump: Nissan GT-R
Fuel Pressure Regulator: New Stock OEM
Intercooler: Cheap Frozenboost 600hp A/W
Water/Meth: Homemade with 300psi pump
Transmission: Transgo shift kit largest drilling

Black LX Turbo setup:
Turbo:
Garrett GTX4202R, 76mm
Forged CNC compressor wheel and Inconel Exhaust Wheel
Ball bearings
5" inlet, 3" outlet, with 4" v-band flange downpipe
Max flow 115lbs/min​
Exhaust housing: Tial Sport Stainless steel investment cast
Wastegate: Tial Sport MV-S 38mm
Turbo header: Custom stainless steel CNC collector and equal length equal radius header
Dowpipe: 4" v-band flange, with bungs for AFR
Computer: Haltech or Motec
Injectors: Injector Dynamics 1700cc/min
Fuel Pump: Triple Walbro 485
Fuel Pressure Regulator: Aeromotive
Intercooler: Garrett Core, custom endtanks
Nitrous: 100mm throttle body plate
Intake Manifold: Hypertune 100mm
Rods: Carillo Pro-H CARR bolts rated 1650hp
Pistons: CP 101mm, 10:1 pistons with 1.031 wrist pins
Wrist pins: Trend H-13
Valves: Ferrea +3mm Intake, +1mm Super alloy exhaust
Valve springs: Ferrea dual springs, with titanium retainers
Head work: Mild port and polish
Transmission: 4L80E

I am sure I am missing somethings but that should give you an idea. lol.

Thank you

All the hoses are completed. The shop did not have the one fitting in black but the final product all the fittings will be black anodized. The hoses are all teflon lined, stainless sheathed with the black covering.

1FZ-turbo-hoses.png

Last edited:
Oh what a tease....:grinpimp:

All the hoses are completed. The shop did not have the one fitting in black but the final product all the fittings will be black anodized. The hoses are all teflon lined, stainless sheathed with the black covering.

1fz-turbo-hoses-png.1581821
Why can’t I see that pic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom