80 Series Newbie Needs Wheels and Tires... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there!

Just bought my first Land Cruiser (1991) on Saturday!! :bounce::bounce:

It's in need of tires and the rims are somewhat rusty so I'm thinking about getting some new wheels with the tires.

Currently, there are 16in 6 lug wheels on there.

I'm in southwest Colorado. My driving will be 75% road and 25% off road which will consist of loose gravel and rock. There will be snow driving in the winters. I know that a true snow tire is the best way to go, but for now, I just need an all-season tire.

I'm leaning towards the BFG KO2.

Questions I have are:

1. Should I keep a 16in wheel on there or go with a 17in or 18in?
2. I'm thinking 285/75 tire....any other suggestions you have is appreciated.
3. What width wheel should I be getting (8in)? I am just looking for basic black steelies.
4. I've never bought wheels...how do I find out what bolt pattern/offset/spacing/etc works?

Any other thoughts/advice/suggestions are always welcomed.

Suggestions for wheel brand and place of purchase would be great!

Pics of your tire wheel set up would also be very appreciated so I can see the stance and look of it.

Thanks!

:beer:

'91 - '92 FJ80 are 15x6 or 15x7. '93 - '97 FZJ80 are 16x8.

I think all are 6x5.5" bolt pattern and 4.5" backspace with zero offset.

I just bought 255/85R16 because I want less frontal area and, combined with Tacoma/Sequoia steel rims, they should tuck in to the wheel wells without flares. The Tacoma/Sequoia rims are 5.5" backspace with 15mm offset.

When I bought my '97 it had a set of 18" aftermarket alloys installed and the original wheels in boxes. Just last week I sent the 16s out for powder coating and swapped the 16s back on with new tires. I then sold the 18s to a local guy with a suburban.

Personally, I prefer the smaller wheels and larger sidewalls in both function and aesthetics. It allows more contact when airing down, eliminates curb rash, and just plain looks better. You could do 18s, but I wouldn't.

The 285/75r16 tire size is prolific and very popular on this board. I went with 305/70r16, but there's a ton of info in the FAQ section on this subject.

Here are a few pics of what I settled on. The color was chosen to match the trim on my Collectors Edition.

20171110_135515.jpg

20171111_005432.jpg

When I bought my '97 it had a set of 18" aftermarket alloys installed and the original wheels in boxes. Just last week I sent the 16s out for powder coating and swapped the 16s back on with new tires. I then sold the 18s to a local guy with a suburban.

Personally, I prefer the smaller wheels and larger sidewalls in both function and aesthetics. It allows more contact when airing down, eliminates curb rash, and just plain looks better. You could do 18s, but I wouldn't.

The 285/75r16 tire size is prolific and very popular on this board. I went with 305/70r16, but there's a ton of info in the FAQ section on this subject.

Here are a few pics of what I settled on. The color was chosen to match the trim on my Collectors Edition.

View attachment 1573267

View attachment 1573268

View attachment 1573267

View attachment 1573268

Is the suspension stock height? Do you have a profile picture of your truck you can share. I'm a newbie looking for a set of tires too and can't decide on size. The powder coating looks nice.

Is the suspension stock height? Do you have a profile picture of your truck you can share. I'm a newbie looking for a set of tires too and can't decide on size. The powder coating looks nice.

Yes, my truck is stock height. It has the original springs and Rancho 5000 shocks. I do plan to do a 2-3" lift, but no more than that. At stock height my 305/70r16s fill the wheel wells nicely and do not rub at all, even off-road. I would expect the 285/75r16 to be very similar, just a little more narrow. Here are a couple photos I just took. I hope they help.
20171118_140543.jpg
20171118_140924.jpg
20171118_141203.jpg

Yes, my truck is stock height. It has the original springs and Rancho 5000 shocks. I do plan to do a 2-3" lift, but no more than that. At stock height my 305/70r16s fill the wheel wells nicely and do not rub at all, even off-road. I would expect the 285/75r16 to be very similar, just a little more narrow. Here are a couple photos I just took. I hope they help.
View attachment 1576804 View attachment 1576806 View attachment 1576807

Cheese and crackers that's a lot of crossbars on that roof rack. What are you planning on putting up there?

Ps wheels look good.

Cheese and crackers that's a lot of crossbars on that roof rack. What are you planning on putting up there?

Ps wheels look good.

Haha... I've been meaning to start a thread on the rack.

People claim that the Yakima & Thule gear is too lightweight for serious use, but then in the next breath say you should never put more than a couple hundred pounds on top.
I tend to agree that it's a good idea to keep the weight on the roof to a minimum, but I wanted somewhere to put my spare in the meantime until I get a rear bumper with a swing out.
At this point there are a lot of Yakima A1 Towers in circulation, and relatively few cars still on the road that use them. Used towers can be found in good condition for next to nothing. I intended to use four bars, but one of the sellers I bought from had 3 bars and six towers. I figure if 4 is good then 5 is better. :flipoff2: I bought the basket and extension new during a labor day sale and Yakima CS sent me the extra basket brackets for a great price.
For all I'm into it, I may have been able to buy the small Baja rack, but that would be harder to sell if I decide to go to a rooftop tent one day. The great thing about the Yakima stuff is it's modularity. I can mount my bike trays, ski racks, and cargo box on to the megawarrior basket, and if I ever decide to sell it it'll be a lot easier to sell to someone with a Yukon, Suburban or other large rig.
To answer your initial question, I travel with the wife, 3 kids, and three kids worth of stuff. I've only had the rack for about 2 months, but I expect we'll put a lot of different things up there in the coming years.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Last edited:
Hey there!

Just bought my first Land Cruiser (1991) on Saturday!! :bounce::bounce:

It's in need of tires and the rims are somewhat rusty so I'm thinking about getting some new wheels with the tires.

Currently, there are 16in 6 lug wheels on there.

I'm in southwest Colorado. My driving will be 75% road and 25% off road which will consist of loose gravel and rock. There will be snow driving in the winters. I know that a true snow tire is the best way to go, but for now, I just need an all-season tire.

I'm leaning towards the BFG KO2.

Questions I have are:

1. Should I keep a 16in wheel on there or go with a 17in or 18in?
2. I'm thinking 285/75 tire....any other suggestions you have is appreciated.
3. What width wheel should I be getting (8in)? I am just looking for basic black steelies.
4. I've never bought wheels...how do I find out what bolt pattern/offset/spacing/etc works?

Any other thoughts/advice/suggestions are always welcomed.

Suggestions for wheel brand and place of purchase would be great!

Pics of your tire wheel set up would also be very appreciated so I can see the stance and look of it.

Thanks!

:beer:

My experience with snow/winter driving and I was once a new 80 owner and still a LC newb.

Nothing wrong with the BFGK02 A/T for snow and winter driving. Even if you wheel in the snow aired down an A/T could provide more uniform traction, and better traction on ice spots than an M/T. I go on a winter offroad run with some of the crew, it's an easier run, I've always taken my A/T some take their mud and super swampers, very few times has my traction problem been tire choice. Some times, yes, but still very few.

However, nothing beats a winter tire particularly a studable one. I would recommend driving the A/T new in the winter and if that's not good enough in their first season you know you'll have a purchase coming for some real winter tires for the second season.
While I did go with 285 75 r16 I would have gone with 255 85 r16 if they would have of offered that tire in my market at my price; less drag.

I did notice a torque loss going from the stock 265s to my 285s.

As far as wheel sizes: I decided to keep my stock wheels with the plans of eventually refurbishing them. While I haven't yet I do find that the market for Toyota sized 17 inch wheel is quiete larger and so is the tire market, especially used (say, if you were looking for a spare).

Based on my experience I advise: IF you're going with TOYO steelies go with the 17s and I do recommend a similar size to the 255 85 (more narrow than the 285) and do go with A/T. Do not consider M/T for the type of driving you have described. In fact most LC owners that daily drive their truck in N.A. have little basis for putting on a MT other than looks. jut my .02

Last edited:
I'd recommend sticking with stock or close to stock size tires unless you plan on doing a gear reduction. The 91-92 FJ80 has the 3fe, strong motor but extremely slow. Might do ok on flat ground but you're going to hate life any time you have to go up a hill.

I'd recommend sticking with stock or close to stock size tires unless you plan on doing a gear reduction. The 91-92 FJ80 has the 3fe, strong motor but extremely slow. Might do ok on flat ground but you're going to hate life any time you have to go up a hill.

missed that it was a 1F ^ GOOD POINT

I have a 91 fj80, came with 15in rims. I put 33x10.5 on it and they look great and I can hang with the guys in the trails (center lock & rear ARB locker). But 17 is the new 15. 17in steelies with 35s are the way to go, but need regearing. You need rubber on the sidewall when you air down.

Personally, I see no reason to go to a 17 wheel over a 16. I understand that the early 80s came with 15 inch wheels and you want something a bit larger that gives more tire options, but why the jump past 16? There are plenty of options out there for 16 inch wheels and they are not particularly expensive. If 17 is better than 16 then why not go up to 18? Or 22? The answer is obvious at the extreme. I just don't see why 17 is more desirable than 16. I don't think it is.

Also, 16" fzj80 wheels can be found pretty inexpensively.

I also think 33s are plenty for most people. I know 35s are great, but staying at or below 33 avoids having to regear, reduces strain on axles and birfields and reduces the chance of failure.

35"+ -> regear -> replacement axles & birfields -> $$$.

That's well and good if you want to do it all, but for me 33s on the stock drivetrain is plenty.

I have a 91 fj80, came with 15in rims. I put 33x10.5 on it and they look great and I can hang with the guys in the trails (center lock & rear ARB locker). But 17 is the new 15. 17in steelies with 35s are the way to go, but need regearing. You need rubber on the sidewall when you air down.

If I can give some feedback. I agree 50-50

Personally, I see no reason to go to a 17 wheel over a 16. I understand that the early 80s came with 15 inch wheels and you want something a bit larger that gives more tire options, but why the jump past 16? There are plenty of options out there for 16 inch wheels and they are not particularly expensive. If 17 is better than 16 then why not go up to 18? Or 22? The answer is obvious at the extreme. I just don't see why 17 is more desirable than 16. I don't think it is.

to add to this I based my initial advice thinking this truck was not an FZJ- since the owner can fit 15s that puts the OP in the range of a lot of aftermarket Tacoma/4Runner wheels if needed, with the added torque of the smaller wheel on that powerplant, maybe something to consider.

I do not recommend 35s, especially with the OP description of what they're doing with the truck.

OP please let us know if you've made a decision.

I go into that rationale of the 17 inch wheel in my explanation, at least where I live the 285 75 r15 and the 255 85 r16 options are pretty limited; and also that the 17 inch steelies or pull off from a 4 Runner can be acquired second hand at a good price, he was inquiring about wheels and tires- that's why I sided with the 17 inch wheel, not a 22 ;) .

However, I didn't know that the truck was a FZ ,and not an FZJ, which would make me want to go for a 15 or 16 over a 17 due to power.

I know long term I'll eventually want to, so my plan is keep my 15in rims and 33s for now, get a 2.5/3 lift, then go 17 rims with 35s. At that point I'll drive and decide if I want to regear.

I go into that rationale of the 17 inch wheel in my explanation, at least where I live the 285 75 r15 and the 255 85 r16 options are pretty limited; and also that the 17 inch steelies or pull off from a 4 Runner can be acquired second hand at a good price, he was inquiring about wheels and tires- that's why I sided with the 17 inch wheel, not a 22 ;) .

However, I didn't know that the truck was a FZ ,and not an FZJ, which would make me want to go for a 15 or 16 over a 17 due to power.

I also think 33s are plenty for most people. I know 35s are great, but staying at or below 33 avoids having to regear, reduces strain on axles and birfields and reduces the chance of failure.

35"+ -> regear -> replacement axles & birfields -> $$$.

That's well and good if you want to do it all, but for me 33s on the stock drivetrain is plenty.

I guess some of us break all of the Mud rules? Mine and most that I wheel with have 37"s and stock axles/birfs, on mine the left knuckle was unmolested till ~200k miles, when the axle seal started leaking. Mine and several others have stock diffs, but have transfer crawler gears, works pretty well on a 1FZ rig.

I just picked up a set of 91 wheels and tires thinking they would fit on my 96 but apparently not. Can anyone confirm this for as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom