1985 4Runner Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Is this a tight fit for a 230lb 6' tall person? If not tight is it less than comfortable for extended drives?

Compare and contrast: 85 4Runner vs 2005 4Runner as Expo/Overland build base. (This'll be fun)

Generically, I am 6' 240 and am perfectly comfortable in my 1989 4Runner (174K Miles). Was fine in my 1986 truck (132K) with vinyl bench seat, too.

Not quite my 1998 4Runner (292K) and nowhere near my 1999 100 Series (235K) but more comfy than my 77 FJ-40.

I'd drive it across the country.

Expo build? I'd choose the 2005 4Runner as it's closest of your choices to a 100 Series which would be my current preference.

Last edited:
Will you be by yourself? Or will you have a passenger?

Wife and I drove my Xtra cab all the way up to @yooper 's lake house in '07, it was very cramped in the cab. You run out of room to put all the little trinkets and doodads that you want to have access to while driving. I wouldn't want to do it again.

Now, if you'll be by yourself, the first thing I would do is take out the rear seat. Build a plywood platform so the floor is flat, for sleeping. I might even consider taking out the passenger seat.

I’m 6’0, 200 and have done some longer trips (7-8 hour road trips) and it is fairly comfy, even better so since I swapped out the factory buckets for the ProCar Elite Lumbar seats. My ’87 does have factory cruise control also, so that makes life a little easier. Once I get the A/C back up and running, it’ll be all season. Summers suck with no A/C. but I do have the wing windows so air flow is good;)

My ’04 LX470 is definitely roomier and ‘mo comfy, and the storage space is huge compared to the 4runner when thinking of an expo/overland mall cruiser. The 1st Gen doesn't have a whole lot of space even with the back seats folded down, but its adequate if you pack light or do the jenga/tetris puzzle for packing.

With the added weight, you just wont get there quick:doh:

I moved my drivers seat back about 4 inches (Drill out and turn rear mounts, and cut off and replace front mounts), and have all the room I can deal with now. I'm a hair under 6'. I also have early 90's SR5 4Runner buckets.

With that said, you'll be a hair on the tight side in a stock setup. :cheers:

I'm 6'5" but thin -180 lbs. Don't remember having a problem with my 1985 Runner over 10 years. They have good head room and decent leg room-I think. Was quite a bit younger then. :) Probably better leg room than a stock 60 series. I modified my FJ62 seat brackets for that reason. Dunno about a 2005 4runner, but I did have a 3rd generation 4Runner that was a bit wanting in the the headroom department, which was one reason I ditched it.

Maybe more of an issue for you would be width rather than height. The old 4Runners could be a bit narrower in the seat than more modern ones, I don't know.
For sure their bodies are, which is a good thing IMO.

The sunroof doesn’t take up any space as it’s just the vent style window, flip up window. Even with the unobtanium sunroof cover, doesn’t effect head room:meh:

The driver seat in my '88 4rnnr doesn't slide back as far as did the one in my '84 Xcab. In long drives I miss that as I periodically adjust the seat so that I'm never sitting in the same position for more than a couple of hours at a time. Longest drive I've done in the rnnr so far was ~350 miles non-stop except for fuel. For comparison the longest non-stop except for fuel drive I did in the Xcab was almost 700 miles. I'd like to have that extra detent or two, but I'm comfortable enough w/o them.
FWIW I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam.

Not that you asked, but for me the fuel tank size is the greatest limitation of the 1st gens. They're at least 1/2 the capacity that they should be. I'm looking at going to a 30-ish gallon fuel tank to fit where the spare is once I get that out from under the truck.

I put seats out of an Acura in mine. I’m about same height and inseam, more slide than I need/want.

Have seen guys put Tank from econoliner in spare tire location. Not sure of gallon size.

Is this a tight fit for a 230lb 6' tall person? If not tight is it less than comfortable for extended drives?

Compare and contrast: 85 4Runner vs 2005 4Runner as Expo/Overland build base. (This'll be fun)

Did you buy it already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom