Builds Project 2027: 1977 FJ40 Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

An update to the exhaust manifold post. I shined a flashlight into head of each of the exhaust ports. There’s white buildup on what I’m assuming are the valve guides in each one. However, 2 & 3 are a bit more prolific.

Made a bunch more progress today. Biggest was finishing the wiring harness labeling and removing it. The last few things in the engine bay were also removed. Basically down to a shell for the tub and cowl.

C7FA4685-78B5-40AF-AF23-47DE907827FE.jpeg

It’s amazing how much crap and grime was behind the instrument cluster. Probably close to 1/8” of oily filth on everything.

FC7F16A9-8086-47E1-BB57-CA2889B99FFB.jpeg

Wiring and electrical work is strictly PFM to me, however I was shocked at how simple the wiring harness is. I knew it’d be basic, but dang.

I’ve been having an ongoing internal dialogue about the wiring. It’s been going something like this... “don’t be stupid, you’ve not had any issues with the electrical system, leave it alone” then my sane side says, “you’d be an idiot to have the wiring harness completely pulled out and not rewire the entire thing!”.

I hate the idea of doing either. Honestly the wires all seem to be in great shape for being 40 years old.

09AD1F1C-AEB7-426A-AC91-975C80AE3718.jpeg

Everything had been going completely smooth in the teardown until I tried to remove the cowl and tub.

Every single mount is welded solid with rust. Not a single bolt would even hint at budging. Looks like I’ll be cutting them all out tomorrow.

4BCD5E03-1BB5-4BDC-A845-3AF2F5CF7B4A.jpeg

The steering u joints look like borgeson units. May be able to reuse them and just replace the bearings.

Could be. I’ll have to look into it. I’d prefer to only have 2 joints in the shaft to reduce the chance of future play.

I am happy to have stumbled onto this thread today. Very nice 40 you've got; looking forward to the build.

We will turn 50 the same year and have similar interests and goals with our Land Cruisers. I hope that I'm lucky enough to be here to see this thread complete in 10 years.

By the way, look me up if you are in the DFW area any time soon. Let's get a beer.

I am happy to have stumbled onto this thread today. Very nice 40 you've got; looking forward to the build.

We will turn 50 the same year and have similar interests and goals with our Land Cruisers. I hope that I'm lucky enough to be here to see this thread complete in 10 years.

By the way, look me up if you are in the DFW area any time soon. Let's get a beer.
Oh, the LC will be done hopefully inside a year. I have a job that allows me a ton of time at home. The trip will happen no later than 2027. I guess the title is deceiving.

I wish mine was moving at this pace. Keep up the good work!! You are moving right along!

just out of curiosity, did you cut the tub? or it was like that already
I cut it for ease of removal. It’s a one man shop here, that and I’m replacing it with an Aqualu tub. I know the pics don’t look it, but the entire tub is filled with bondo.

Impressive progress. I was thinking about an aftermarket harness until I spoke with Georg.
So what did Georg have to say? Rewire what you have? Stay original if there aren’t any issues? My harness looks to be in great shape as the wires are still very pliable and little to no PO hacking. If I do decide to rewire, I’ll peg it to a board and run all new, labeled wires. My concern is the lack of new connectors available.

So what did Georg have to say? Rewire what you have? Stay original if there aren’t any issues? My harness looks to be in great shape as the wires are still very pliable and little to no PO hacking. If I do decide to rewire, I’ll peg it to a board and run all new, labeled wires. My concern is the lack of new connectors available.

or also i buy here.

Connector Kits by Number of Ways | Corsa Technic

everything you need

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom