FJ62 Headlight Upgrade Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My FJ 62 had some sort of HID system [Hella H4 shell] installed for the low beams and looks like they left sealed beams as the high beam. I left it that way for a while, but now i am having issues with one of the low beams [looks to be a bad ballast or controller].

I dont want to waste a lot of intellectual capital on them and just bought a set of trucklite LED lights and a new set of H4 pigtails to be able to wire them back in.

My question is this, because of course my wiring is all messed up for the low beams, how is the best way to approach this? I am trying t understand what in H4 connector needs to be "fired" to make this work.

I was expecting to take out the HID Controllers and ballast and Hella shells and just use the trigger wire going into the HID system to hook to a relay and use the relay to power the "low only" beam contact in the H4 connector, ground the common and be done.

Is it this simple ?

Jw speaker 8800 evo 2

IMG_4674.PNG

JW Speaker 8800 EVO2. They are heated now to prevent ice build up in cold weather.

Mine were not pug and play but were easy to do with help from the vendor which I can share.

WOW. They are so nice. Not cheap but worth it.

JW Speaker 8800 EVO2. They are heated now to prevent ice build up in cold weather.

Mine were not pug and play but were easy to do with help from the vendor which I can share.

WOW. They are so nice. Not cheap but worth it.

Please share! I've got the round headlights heading my way to install soon on my 60. Thanks

When the hi-beams are on are both low and hi active? Also, please share the installation information.

:beer:

Yes. They work properly. I'll post the solution tomorrow when I get a chance.

Instructions for LED Headlight upgrade

Instructions are in this thread. It was easier than I thought it would be. I built a harness and a high beam selector switch harness in less than 2 hours. I can confirm that Trucklites and JW Speakers work on my FJ62. JW Speakers are more expensive but cast more light in a better pattern.

My Euro spec HJ61 only required making a simple H4 to H4656 adapter to work.

This is the best safety modification I have ever made to my trucks.

5C0B6D03-1FDE-4CF7-B595-3162300E5447.jpeg
94B1CCC6-BC28-45ED-8449-FFC641A5B3BC.jpeg
FB99CE93-5256-4ADC-AF21-5D69450A0528.jpeg

I kinda figure my headlights are for other people to see me, rather than for me to see the road. Most roads around here are now lit fairly well so one could practically drive with their lights off with no problem.

For times when I really need some light, I just flip the switch for my 100 watt IPF aux lights. Now they light up the road!

I am running slcfj62's wiring harness, Hella Glass housings, and halogen bulbs. Not that expensive considering you're buying an entire weatherproof harness and all new hardware.

I am amazed at the popularity of the LED and HID crowd. Would love to have my truck side by side with other setups to see if they are really worth it.

Last edited:
Instructions for LED Headlight upgrade

Instructions are in this thread. It was easier than I thought it would be. I built a harness and a high beam selector switch harness in less than 2 hours. I can confirm that Trucklites and JW Speakers work on my FJ62. JW Speakers are more expensive but cast more light in a better pattern.

My Euro spec HJ61 only required making a simple H4 to H4656 adapter to work.

This is the best safety modification I have ever made to my trucks.

View attachment 1575774 View attachment 1575775 View attachment 1575776

but any of the JW are hi low in the same unit AFAIK .. ?

Susquehanna Motor Sports is now making harnesses similar to what slcfj62 was making, for 60 and 62

Susquehanna Motor Sports is now making harnesses similar to what slcfj62 was making, for 60 and 62
Interesting. I already run a Wayne Tangen harness that I built, but had been wanting to get a @slcfj62 when I had some spare cash to spend. I've heard lately that he stopped making them, so it's nice to see Susquehanna picking up on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom