GX470 Suspension suggestions and overall height question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SouthernSS, I have all the parts to do your version of the air bag conversion, MOOG FJ springs, Metal Tech mounts (top and bottom), and Arilift 100 bags. I want to tie into the factory lines and use the factory compressor and height sensors.
How did you rout the airline through the upper isolator? Did you drill a hole in the side of the isolator or does the line run up through the frame/body?

Great Airbag trick. I'll be doing this soon as well. I've already installed the Ironman FCP kit.

Ditto the earlier questions on the b
Finished up my rear coil conversion the other day with a small twist. I ended up purchasing the AirLift 1000 bags and used the oem compresser system to inflate and deflate them. I didnt have to do any adjustments or pull any fuses and the truck doesnt know the difference. I used the metaltech conversion kit, radflo springs/shocks, and 4runner airlift 1000 bags.

Ditto the earlier questions on which bag kit. You say it was a 4runner kit?

I was thinking about doing this as well. I'm glad to see that someone else was the guinea pig and that it worked.

Any follow up thoughts after putting some mileage on it?

@southernss combo air bag, springs, shocks idea is awesome. Anyone in so cal know how to install this?

I’m at a point that my air bags might need replacing and this hybrid conversion might be what the doctor ordered.

I have some firestone airbags for a GX with OEM upper bumps to cut down to make them work if anyone needs some. Brand new in the box. I don't need them as I went to a mega heavy LT progressive spring.

When I get a chance next week, I’m going to create a new thread on this hybrid air bag / spring conversion. I’ll try to copy over all the info that southernss contributed and some of the questions people are raising.

I have some firestone airbags for a GX with OEM upper bumps to cut down to make them work if anyone needs some. Brand new in the box. I don't need them as I went to a mega heavy LT progressive spring.

@DanKunz

I’m getting the feeling that any airbag including the oem air bags will fit inside any spring? I’m not sure if that’s the case, but it sounds like parts for this hybrid setup are very interchangeable.

No..not at all correct

Dan, Still have your air bags & upper bumps? I was about to order them, but would buy yours.

They sold. Sorry

You know, guys, I'm somewhat surprised that my front shocks need replacing. I guess 5000 lbs. can wear out a shock after 100,000 miles. Were any of y'alls front shocks leaking bad when you did your conversion or was it just the back suspension that was crapped out?

178,00 all stock just now needs upgrade

When I get a chance next week, I’m going to create a new thread on this hybrid air bag / spring conversion. I’ll try to copy over all the info that southernss contributed and some of the questions people are raising.

@HomersCanyonero did you ever make that thread? I'm in need of doing this conversion ASAP and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what people are using for the upper spring mount.

The upper spring mount in the back is just the OEM 4runner cone that sits on top of the spring. If you do an airbag in it, you just cut down the cone to make room for the airbag inside the spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom