Oil Light Keeps Coming On (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my oil can light keeps coming on. When I check the dipstick it says its fine.
Maybe a bad oil pressure sending unit?
Thanks

what do you mean when you say oil level is fine?

Mine comes on even if I'm slightly low. Seems pretty sensitive

Is it on all the time or does it come on for a bit then turn off?

the censor switch for the oil in the oil pan, this rigs typically oil eaters my takes 1 qt every 5000 miles , so when you look at the dipstick if its is 1/4 to lowest mark on the dipstick it will signal. has nothing to do with oil pressure.

Mine starts to flicker ('97) when I am about 1qt low. Stays on intermittently, gradually more on than off, if I am at 1.5 qt low (bottom of the crosshatch marks on dipstick). In the intermittent stage, a quick jog of the truck to the right with the steering wheel will turn it off. I think the sensor is slightly stuck and that pushes oil to the left side of the pan and jars it loose.

Happens like clockwork every 800-1000 miles. It's a quirk of the truck and an accurate reminder to add oil.

Eventually I'll get to the valve guide seals, but oil is cheap and it keeps me under the hood on a regular basis :).

what do you mean when you say oil level is fine?

Mine comes on even if I'm slightly low. Seems pretty sensitive

Is it on all the time or does it come on for a bit then turn off?

It does not stay on all the time. Comes and goes. What I mean by fine, is that the oil level is at the top end of the full range.

Mine does this from time to time and from what I've read here the sensor can get dirty and stick. Some people have removed and cleaned it and that fixed it, others had to replace it. I haven't dug into mine yet.

Mine does the same. Comes on occasionally and scares me, I check the oil level and it's at or very near the top mark.

My engine is pretty sludgy by my standards, so maybe the oil sensor is gummed up. I'm currently running diesel oil and using Sea-Foam before oil changes in an attempt to clean it up.

The oil level sensor is an unnecessary luxury . If the light bugs you, unplug the sensor and use the dipstick like we did for decades. It’s not worth fussing over.

I prefer the 'if it's fitted it should work' frame of mind. Now going to throw this out there and am referring to diesels. If your a litre or so low, it is entirely possible to uncover the oil pick up when off roading, petrol versions I cannot comment but worth noting.

I think as the typical 80 hss no oil pressure light, and the gauge moves very slowly then a low oil level light is important. I have a light AND buzzer for pressure monitoring you know.....just in case.

Regards

Dave

The gasoline engines have way more oil than they need. You really have to have a leak before it becomes a problem you don't know about.

Mine used to do this too. Turns out the actual plastic mounting portion for the plug was broken off the end of the sensor, it was held in place only by the little metal prongs. Every now and then the thing would pop off altogether and the light would stay on. It became the first thing I checked before the oil.

Take it out and clean it in your next oil change, check the connections and once at it.. Dielectric grease on all the connectors. If that does not work get a new sensor.. But at the age of our rigs it's worth it to go thru all the connectors, clean inspect and apply dielectric grease, especially if you are doing water crossings..

The oil level sensor is an unnecessary luxury . If the light bugs you, unplug the sensor and use the dipstick like we did for decades. It’s not worth fussing over.
Haha Yes True!!
So my oil can light keeps coming on. When I check the dipstick it says its fine.
Maybe a bad oil pressure sending unit?
Thanks
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm new to the Land Cruiser.

Take it out and clean it in your next oil change, check the connections and once at it.. Dielectric grease on all the connectors. If that does not work get a new sensor.. But at the age of our rigs it's worth it to go thru all the connectors, clean inspect and apply dielectric grease, especially if you are doing water crossings..

I had the Toyota tech clean it, but the light is on more often than not. I've checked the oil level and it's at or near the top of mark.

What to check out first before I replace the rather spendy sensor? Thanks.

There is a section of the wire harness that can corrode because the sender has two clips on it that corrode really quickly. It has four wires. One is connected to an interference unit that helps cut down on radio whine, one goes to the AC compressor, and the two other wires go to two weird fittings on the sending unit. One has a little nub of brass that one of the wire connectors from the previously mentioned harness connects to and the other one is a little tab that sticks out that the proper wire fitting accepts. Mine were both rotted off and my wire harness was shot too. A mud member made me the wire harness by using my old one as a template. It wasn't cheap, but between the new harness and the new sending unit, I now have a functioning oil pressure gauge.

EDIT: Also pretty sure the sending unit has a weird thread pitch and a brass receptacle in the cast lower engine block. I think the only other such plug is the coolant drain.

Sorry, wrong sensor. Nevermind.

Last edited:
Mine was coming on for short periods pretty regularly. I finally just added more oil until it was at the full line *immediately* after turning it off. No oil light since then.

I usually check the level with the engine cold or after letting it sit for awhile. I guess the LC doesn't like that.

I had the Toyota tech clean it, but the light is on more often than not. I've checked the oil level and it's at or near the top of mark.

What to check out first before I replace the rather spendy sensor? Thanks.
At or near the top of the mark isn't good enough. It's nearly a 9 quart reservoir, one quart low barely shows on the dipstick. The sensor is much more sensitive, and one quart low will cause it to light the lamp. Add some oil, see what happens. That is almost always the issue. The good thing is, one quart low isn't going to hurt your engine. Overfilling it within reason won't hurt either, I dump 9 quarts in at every oil change, and the stick doesn't even register the 'extra'. Keeps the light off longer that way.

Hey gummy carbs. I’m here to learn. Why the Diesel engine oil? Better for a leaky engine like mine?

Hey gummy carbs. I’m here to learn. Why the Diesel engine oil? Better for a leaky engine like mine?

The diesel oil additive packages aggressively remove soot and sludge common to diesel engines. I resisted this for a while but after following several engine rebuild threads and comparing those who were using diesel and those using gas engine oils there is a clear difference in clean.

Engines that ran with diesel oil looked very "clean" while engines using gas engine oils have a caramel color and build up in the corners.

So, I am going to be doing several oil changes this year with diesel oil as a "Flush". I am using DELO 15w40 found at CostCo on sale this month for $29 in 3 1 gallon bottles. I believe several folks on here run Delo all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom