New Member -- New LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Wanted to quickly introduce myself and my new purchase with the group. I've always been a huge car fan and have owned a laundry list of cars over the past 15ish years. Currently have a '12 Duramax Denali Truck, '98 BMW M3 with Toyota 2JZ motor (915whp), and '95 BMW M3.

I have recently been toying with the idea of selling my 2012 Duramax and started to look at Craigslist for F150s or anything else that caught my eye. Ended up seeing this 2000 LX470 listed at a local dealer and while I hadn't previously been searching for a 100 -- dove head first into nightly research on the trucks, what to expect, modifications, build threads, etc. My '98 4Runner was so reliable and such a great vehicle, that I decided to make the jump into its bigger brother.

Truck has 213k miles and is bone stock. I was able to locate both the dealer service records (from 0-100k miles) and the records from the local Toyota independent (who serviced it from 100k-200k miles) -- so felt really solid about the truck's past, that it had been serviced with an open check book by prior owners, and looked great. From my test drive I noticed a few clunks and squeals (none of which were major and all could be found in threads here) so I used that in my negotiation and ended up striking a deal last weekend and driving it home.

Yesterday had it looked over by my trusted Toyota/Lexus independent who said overall it was a clean and good buy. Had the brake pedal throw adjusted, diffs and transfer-case fluids changed, tightened a few loose heat-shields, modified the brake backing plate where it was rusting and touching the rotor and lubed the D/S. Its had a recent timing belt, water pump, trans flush, and oil change -- so given all of that should be good for a bit.

Next up will be K02 in 285/75/16 and debating powder-coating the factory wheels a dark gray at the same time. After that, potentially a 2.5" OME lift with all accessories and then hopefully call it "done". Not really interested in bumpers or expedition as it will mostly be a mall cruiser...just like the stock but "on steroids" look.

I'll post some progress along the way. Thanks for the wealth of info thus far!

FjZgkwl.jpg

Congrats on the LX! River Rock Green is such a GREAT color! If the AHC works well and you're not planning on armoring up the rig, I'd keep it as long as possible. Just do the simple AHC flush as documented on the forum, get techstream and check your neutral pressures. If you go with conventional, most here would recommend IronMan or ToughDog. I think the OME have lost a bit of their luster.

Welcome mate! First order of business, get rid of running boards.

Congrats on the LX! River Rock Green is such a GREAT color! If the AHC works well and you're not planning on armoring up the rig, I'd keep it as long as possible. Just do the simple AHC flush as documented on the forum, get techstream and check your neutral pressures. If you go with conventional, most here would recommend IronMan or ToughDog. I think the OME have lost a bit of their luster.
Thanks! I do like the AHC, however I really don't like anything but Sport+ for a setting. The comfort settings are downright scary soft in my opinion. Thanks for the feedback on lifts...still plenty of searching to do there.
Welcome mate! First order of business, get rid of running boards.
Yep, removing those and spacers will happen hopefully quickly...either with the tires or before.

Welcome! I just bought my LX a month ago, also in River Rock Green!

Figured I might as well make this my "build" (very loosely used) thread. Only planning on minor things here and there as I know how slippery the slope can be and I don't plan to go off-roading with any regularity.

So far I have addressed a few things:

1) Alignment...It was bad. Evidently the jamb nut wasn't tightened enough when the PO replaced the tie rod so it threw the toe off quite a bit up front over time. Fixed that as I have ordered up new K02s in 285/75/16.

2) Rearview mirror. I honestly thought when I bought the truck it would be as easy as prior cars where I just need to re-glue a button to the windshield and snap the mirror in place. Could not have been more wrong! Hours later, its now reinstalled after ordering the (2) small M3 screws that hold the black wedge shaped piece to the windshield plate from Fastenal ($.07 each!), and new spring clip and attachment screw from Toyota. Zip ties and no mirror were getting old:

FaL73Ic.jpg

3) The Running boards were a true eye-sore, so I spent some time in the driveway removing those. Surprisingly easier than I was expecting and given its been a VA truck its whole life, only used a tiny bit of W40 to break everything loose. Looks so much better (pictures taken in "HI"):

KJTpwMp.jpg

R1HdHrM.jpg

4) When I bought the truck, the center console wood was in TERRIBLE shape. I spent some time with a heatgun and used a buttload of Goo-Gone to remove the trim and find the black underneath. Found letting the Goo-Gone sit overnight worked wonders. It looks way better in black...even had the trim been perfect, I still would have done this!

skThXY5.jpg

5) Spent the better part of last night getting TechStream to work on my 64bit Windows 7 computer and finally got it to work. Referenced 3-4 different threads to get everything to play nice. The local shop wanted $95 simply to tell me the AHC pressures...so for $25 I got the Amazon cable and software, I now have the AHC info and so much more! Pressures were a bit high F/R, so I will be cranking the front TBs and trying to install a 30mm packer in rear. Eventually may go the lift route but not rushing to do that.

6) Finally was getting new keys. The PO included (2) uncut keys in the sale (generic), however the local key place was able to verify that the chips in the keys were good, while also cutting them. Followed the threads here to both program them as Master Keys to the car and also allow keyless to work. Loved saving the $200 from the dealer there! Ended up costing me $60 to cut both keys but that was it.

Not super exciting stuff, I know...just wanted to keep a record of it somewhere. Next up will be installing the tires when they arrive.

Quick updates:

1) LX came with a VCR (!) retrofit into the rear center console and also a very tiny flip-down monitor attached to the headliner. I wanted light when opening the front doors at night, so found an OEM replacement dome light on EBay and removed the screen assembly as well as the VCR from the center console and wired back in the dome light:
ZlhkTiQ.jpg

I initially planned to re-install factory cupholders in the rear but they seemed to remove the rails when installing the VCR and paying $200+ for rear cupholders that I will never use as the driver seemed excessive. Instead, I went to a craft store and bought fabric and balsa wood to fill in the gaps. In hindsight, I wish I'd used a marine vinyl/leatherette to look a bit nicer, but overall it came out quite nice:

s2ehUc5.jpg

I am in process now of installing DEPO clear corner lamps -- not as "simple" as I'd hoped as the parts to convert from LX to LC to fit these (connectors, sockets, replacement wire leads) was nearly $60. Will post pics of that tomorrow.

I'd replace the heater 'Tees' post haste, if they haven't been done.

Nice vehicle.

Quick updates:

1) LX came with a VCR (!) retrofit into the rear center console and also a very tiny flip-down monitor attached to the headliner. I wanted light when opening the front doors at night, so found an OEM replacement dome light on EBay and removed the screen assembly as well as the VCR from the center console and wired back in the dome light:
ZlhkTiQ.jpg

I initially planned to re-install factory cupholders in the rear but they seemed to remove the rails when installing the VCR and paying $200+ for rear cupholders that I will never use as the driver seemed excessive. Instead, I went to a craft store and bought fabric and balsa wood to fill in the gaps. In hindsight, I wish I'd used a marine vinyl/leatherette to look a bit nicer, but overall it came out quite nice:

s2ehUc5.jpg

I am in process now of installing DEPO clear corner lamps -- not as "simple" as I'd hoped as the parts to convert from LX to LC to fit these (connectors, sockets, replacement wire leads) was nearly $60. Will post pics of that tomorrow.

Go to part out section in classified and buy the LC pig tail off the part out truck, I am sure you can get them cheap, PM aljollano, he will hook you up =)

Go to part out section in classified and buy the LC pig tail off the part out truck, I am sure you can get them cheap, PM aljollano, he will hook you up =)
I already purchased the new leads from Toyota last night (list price is $11/each and you need 4). I asked you personally for what modifications needed to be done via "conversation" and you didn't reply -- and your directions also don't state the need for these wire leads...but unless you have a wire terminal removal tool, you need to buy the parts from Toyota. You should edit your directions in your FS thread.

I already purchased the new leads from Toyota last night (list price is $11/each and you need 4). I asked you personally for what modifications needed to be done via "conversation" and you didn't reply -- and your directions also don't state the need for these wire leads...but unless you have a wire terminal removal tool, you need to buy the parts from Toyota. You should edit your directions in your FS thread.

Sorry you feel that way. There must be a misunderstanding somewhere. I did reply your PM the same day on Dec 6th, did you not see it in your PM?

"Thanks for the payment. Yes that should be the same bulb. Best is to get the socket as I remember the LX socket is different and not possible to fit the LC corner lamp. Easiest and cheapest way it to buy the socket with pig tail from a part out landcruiser then trim a bit and it will fit into the Euro/JDM clear lamp, then just tap into your existing LX signal lamp and you are done! =)

Thanks
Ian"

The following is my for sale thread for DEPO clear corner lamp which stated the additional items needed for LX model. I just review my ad again, the instruction should be clear for the LX installation with parts needed, it is buyer responsible to swap the wire over. Not trying to argue with you but you will need tools for modification or repair on your vehicle, I would assume DIYer knows that.

For Sale - DEPO crystal clear corner lamps for 100 series Landcruiser/ LX470

Sorry you feel that way.

The following is my for sale thread for DEPO clear corner lamp which stated the additional items needed for LX model. I just review my ad again, the instruction should be clear for the LX installation with parts needed, it is buyer responsible to swap the wire over. Not trying to argue with you but you will need tools for modification or repair on your vehicle, I would assume DIYer knows that.

For Sale - DEPO crystal clear corner lamps for 100 series Landcruiser/ LX470
Not a massive deal, and no I didn't see your PM. That said, your FS thread clearly calls out the sockets and connectors needed (which I bought) but talks about "just swapping over wires" which isn't easily doable unless you have a wire terminal removal tool (not something a typical DIYer has in my opinion). I'd not seen the back of the connector prior to removing to know I needed terminaled wires instead of just being able to insert & crimp wires. So having the wire leads either new (or buying used with the connectors still attached) is the necessary step and is something I would add to your thread. Your pergoative, though.

They fit well and all is installed now. Back to my thread...

1" Bora Spacers arrived. Installed those this afternoon and was thankful I read a bit first as I too would have assumed my front set was machined incorrectly with those small tabs contacting the nuts -- odd that they fronts only fit in (1) specific way, but they do fit.

Jcu1JPQ.jpg

Glad I went with the 1" as opposed to the more common 1.25". This places the edge of the front wheel/tire exactly flush with the front fenders, and seem to poke out a tiny bit in the rear. With my 285s, it should be slightly more pronounced (5mm), but still look awesome:

jMwfHDY.jpg

@RogueM3 ... one thing I did on my Bora spacers was, once oriented correctly, made a small paint mark on one of the "teeth" and the corresponding bolts on either side of it. Figured that would save me having to re-orientate every time I had to disassemble the hub.

@RogueM3 ... one thing I did on my Bora spacers was, once oriented correctly, made a small paint mark on one of the "teeth" and the corresponding bolts on either side of it. Figured that would save me having to re-orientate every time I had to disassemble the hub.
Thats a great idea. I will take them off to retorque after some driving, so may do that then. Hopefully they won't be coming off again anytime soon aside from if/when I need to redo the front CVs.

Got the tires put on ~2 weeks ago and it made a massive difference both in appearance but also in how the truck rides -- a bit firmer now and feels less "floaty" as a result of sidewall rigidity. Very happy with the purchase. Initially I thought I wouldn't do a sensor lift as I was so impressed with the look after tires...but now 2 weeks in my mind is already use to the lift and another 1" might be in order. :)

Before and after of first day in November and then today after wash:

FjZgkwl.jpg

vJqgZxV.jpg

cciOAtH.jpg

Up next is the potential sensor lift and thats about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom