New Tires - sizing question - 2016 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I as well curious if the rub or if you have any issue fitting imthe spare. Would love to see pics too

I as well curious if the rub or if you have any issue fitting imthe spare. Would love to see pics too

A 34" spare will fit without issue (285/75R17 or 285/70R18). There's a little bracket held on with 2 bolts that can optionally be removed if you go with a 33" or 34" tire - it's there to keep the factory tire size from moving around. With a larger tire its unnecessary, but my tire installer didn't remove mine (despite me asking) and my 34" spare still fits fine.

Sorry.... It was a busy few days. So I have about 500 miles on them so far and they have been great. I haven't found any rubbing and the spare fit just fine. I downloaded a speedometer app... If the app is right, my speedo is off by 2 mph at 75 mph. I'm very happy with my decision to go with these tires. Thanks agin for the help.

Just got 275/70/18 KO2's installed today. No rubbing at full lock. Just under an inch height increase front, back, and at the stock steps. Definitely rougher ride, but that was expected. I messaged MSCruiser to update the tire database.

Took a several hour drive road trip to see family this weekend running on the new fresh tires. It was a marked difference in ride quality on the negative side after replacing the stock tires. Very rough, gave me a headache. I looked up a Hunter GSP9700 road force balancing machine via the vendor's locator website. It cost $88 to balance all four tires, but the ride is much smoother now. The previous balancing was done at Sam's club where I bought the tires. It's still not near as smooth as stock tires, so I'm a little disappointed because I like a smooth ride, but I will try to get there by replacing the suspension in the next year.

I put 275/70/18s on my LX this week
Can you please post some pics? I'm torn between the 275-70-18 and the 285-65-18.

275/70r18
t9xkquS.jpg

GLHDJDv.jpg

Rumor is that the Falkens are slightly bigger than comparable KO2 due to their 20/32 tread depth. As a result I have some rubbing at full lock in reverse. Nothing a heat gun won’t fix.

Had 5 275/70-18s mounted this weekend - Cooper AT3s sold by Pep Boys as Adventurer ATs. Was $730 OTD, although it needs a road force balance. @LALC going from P rated to LT tires will change the ride but vibration should be minimal, roughness comes with an E rated tire.
38607786956_aa9de69955_k.jpg

I'll see if I can get some more pics up soon. I took the LC out to the farm this afternoon. I had a chance to get into some ditches and articulate the front and rear tires super high into the wheel well and no rubbing at full turn even stuffed into the well. Sadly, I forgot my phone at the house so I couldn't take pics. I actually got out to take pics and kicked myself for not bringing my phone. Next trip I will take some.

I'll see if I can get some more pics up soon. I took the LC out to the farm this afternoon. I had a chance to get into some ditches and articulate the front and rear tires super high into the wheel well and no rubbing at full turn even stuffed into the well. Sadly, I forgot my phone at the house so I couldn't take pics. I actually got out to take pics and kicked myself for not bringing my phone. Next trip I will take some.

Hello, first post on here. Just got married last year and agreed to sell the adventure bike. Now I'm looking for something to satisfy that same itch and be able to take my wife. Thinking about a used 2016 and looking at wheel/tire options. This thread has answered one question for me on tire size and I saw you started another thread on powder coating stock 2016 wheels. By chance, did you have that done?

Hello, first post on here. Just got married last year and agreed to sell the adventure bike. Now I'm looking for something to satisfy that same itch and be able to take my wife. Thinking about a used 2016 and looking at wheel/tire options. This thread has answered one question for me on tire size and I saw you started another thread on powder coating stock 2016 wheels. By chance, did you have that done?

I didn't. I found this PDF from ARB on a 2016 with stock wheels. I like the look, that's what I'm going for, so keeping them stock. http://www.arbusa.com/Uploads/PDF/newProductAdvice/2016/200Series_Summit_2016OnPublic.pdf

Someone needs to step up and take on the challenge to fit 305/65R18's. Surprised this size is not well represented on the boards.

On paper, this would be the ideal aggressive fitment, without needing drastic cutting or clearancing. ~33.6" x 12". Solid big meats on stock 18" wheels. With enough visual height and girth to match the full size LC body. My personal opinion, but I dislike narrow fitment tires. It exposes the wheel face to more wear and tear without a meaty wide sidewall. I also value cornering traction as much as straight line tractability.

Only trick would be mild 1" spacers on stock wheels, and minor nip and tuck of the liners and mud guards. I run 33.2" x 12.3" tires rather easily on my LX. The 305/65/18's are only incrementally taller.

Here's my pitch for more beef!

Someone needs to step up and take on the challenge to fit 305/65R18's. Surprised this size is not well represented on the boards.

On paper, this would be the ideal aggressive fitment, without needing drastic cutting or clearancing. ~33.6" x 12". Solid big meats on stock 18" wheels. With enough visual height and girth to match the full size LC body. My personal opinion, but I dislike narrow fitment tires. It exposes the wheel face to more wear and tear without a meaty wide sidewall. I also value cornering traction as much as straight line tractability.

Only trick would be mild 1" spacers on stock wheels, and minor nip and tuck of the liners and mud guards. I run 33.2" x 12.3" tires rather easily on my LX. The 305/65/18's are only incrementally taller.

Here's my pitch for more beef!

I wonder what the tread width difference, I’m not talking about tire width I’m talking about tread width. My BFG AT/KO2’s 285 5520s the tread width is 1 inch more than 275 5520 and 305 5520s are almost the same tread width as the 285 5520s. So 305’s would not buy you much over 285’s

285/70R18 and 285/75R17 are 33.7”/33.8” and the both rub with stock wheels. Additional width would rub all over the KDSS arm and front sway bar on the PS without different wheels. 33” is about the max you can go with stock width before you start rubbing. Going 1/2” wider on the inside will definitely rub unless you use a lower offset wheel. I’d actually be concerned the rubbing would start against the UCA

I didn't. I found this PDF from ARB on a 2016 with stock wheels. I like the look, that's what I'm going for, so keeping them stock. http://www.arbusa.com/Uploads/PDF/newProductAdvice/2016/200Series_Summit_2016OnPublic.pdf
Man, that looks really good. That bumper is badass. I think I'll wait a while before adding anything like that. Start with more capable tires and see what I need (want) as I go. Will probably go with gray on the LC and love this color/wheel combo on the GX460. Thinking powdercoating the stock wheels to this might look good.

img_1502.jpg

285/70R18 and 285/75R17 are 33.7”/33.8” and the both rub with stock wheels. Additional width would rub all over the KDSS arm and front sway bar on the PS without different wheels. 33” is about the max you can go with stock width before you start rubbing. Going 1/2” wider on the inside will definitely rub unless you use a lower offset wheel. I’d actually be concerned the rubbing would start against the UCA

I started another thread here for this specific topic - Big Fat Tires - 305/65/18s
But to answer you here, yes, you're correct about rubbing with stock offset wheels. So 1" spacers or lower offset wheels are needed. But it has been done and looks great. Just another step up for someone looking for that next aggressive fitment, without the slippery slope of of commitments for 35's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom