What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (68 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My FJ40 is & has been completely, completely dissembled (its parts lying literally all over the house... Its repainted chassis under tarps in the backyard, etc, etc.). Am wanting to & have been wanting to paint the tub & individual body panels/parts first, that I (as a creative/artist type) can put its appearance solidly behind me (I'm not ever wanting to sell her - so she will therefore remain as I construct her for a million-billion years to come).

My family & close friends regularly report to me : "Just get the damn thing done !"

Soooo..., over margaritas tonight, a near & long dear-to-me lady friend insisted I paint my '40 NOT the military army aircraft OD green I had been full-heartedly planning; but instead, that I paint her with the early 1980's Land Rover color (or should I say, 'colour' ?), 'Keswick Green,' that she exclaimed was 1,000 times better than ANY other color for such a vintage off-road vehicle.

"It looks rugged, masculine, it's rich, outdoorsy, it blends with trees, what more do you want ?" she calmly replied.

I had showed her the full array of 40-series colors and then some.

And after the once full pitcher of margaritas was emptied between the two of us, I somehow shook her beautiful hand (as if a business deal) & said (in a slur), "You are so very right. Consider it done."

She smiled her pretty smile, as she was quite ready to move on to virtually any other topic. ...

IMG_8297.JPG

IMG_8300.JPG

fye.JPG

In honest, I must say : Land Cruisers are THE VERY BEST !!... But it's been NOT the Japanese, but the British who've long known best on how to best go about painting such beauties ...

Yeaaaa to Margaritas & Beautiful, Intelligent Women !!! :)

(Pictured below : My so far aim, and now maybe my previous aim, for my 1979 FJ40 rebuild - 'Army Aircraft Green.' ... "If you want a true chick-truck, one that will get you laid more regularly, go with the Keswick Green," she said with slight, but clean smile. ... I don't know. I truly like both color concepts. The chick-car/woman-thing is to me a no-brainer. But I really do like both concepts equally) ;

77zh4b2(f).jpg

~Skydogger

Last edited:
Just lookit all the oil drips under and around that thing!!

You're doing just the one Cruiser for now...?? And they're scarce and getting scarcer... Right?

Go AAG. It's what you like.

Explain nicely and if that doesn't help, move to the next one.

Just lookit all the oil drips under and around that thing!!

You're doing just the one Cruiser for now...?? And they're scarce and getting scarcer... Right?

Go AAG. It's what you like.

Explain nicely and if that doesn't help, move to the next one.
Hello to you & South Africa !!

1) Does look like oil drips... but might they not be drips of water from a possible just washed LR, just prior to the photo shoot ?

2) I've only one Cruiser & wish to build it back up & see it last. ... Even if I must one day put an electric motor in it, if we come to that within our life time. ... In honest though, I'm not crossing any 40-Series OEM color I'm most over joyed with. Your suggestion ?

3) What is 'AAG' ?? (I may like it, but don't know what that is...)

4) "Explain nicely and if that doesn't help, move to the next one." ... I'm not clear on this.

Thanks !!
~Marc

I like the Keswick green better, but I was looking at Fashion Green before I settled on Cadet Blue for the Frankentroopy :meh:. Who cares if it's dripping oil, the paint isn't causing that...

I like the Keswick green better, but I was looking at Fashion Green before I settled on Cadet Blue for the Frankentroopy :meh:. Who cares if it's dripping oil, the paint isn't causing that...
I'll be quick to report I've NOTHING AGAINST ANY of the 40-series OEM colors : just not in my vision of my to-be, highly-thought-out forest trail rig.

I do appreciate your saying that you like the Keswick Green. That helps.

The Keswick Green is of course a gray-green, much like 6H9 "Grayish Olive," and that of T303 Fashion Green. ... And of course the beautiful gray-blue of T449 Cadet :

bj45-5.jpg

The 40-series really looks good & vintage with solid, grayish colors.

The thing about Keswick that I really like (not to mention the lady-friend's adamant choice) is that it's a grayish blue-green, as opposed to the olive series yellowish-greens.
~Skydog

Last edited:
Finished three coats of undercoat on the 40. Brushed it on to make sure the undercoat was forced into the various nooks and crannies to keep out water and mud from the rig. Photos to follow in my build thread when I get a little further on.

All body work is basically done, ready to start the base/clear coat finish. Going back with OEM Freeborn Red #309 which was the color this baby left the factory with.

Howzit Skydog.

Firstly, my comment should be read bearing in mind it comes from a 62 year old bachelor... My experience is that you may hold on to a classic vehicle for a "million-billion years" whereas the romantic interest may not last that long and then you're stuck with a vehicle colour not quite to your liking.

Having said that I have been under the same female supervision for 10 years. She gets to choose the colours etc in the houses and can change that as she pleases, (Just spent 2 months redoing the whole damn place instead of working on the Dagha Boy) but colour on a vehicle is another thing entirely.

Your points:

1. That also briefly crossed my mind. But while it could be possible, it is a far stronger probability that the "devil's own transport" just did what they do - sprayed oil all aver the place. What we cannot tell from the photographs is that it probably also broke down right there and had to be loaded on a roll back to get it home.

2. My suggestion was that for a keeper like that go with what YOU like. In my opinion there are many colours that go well with 40 series. I normally don't like blue vehicles but TractorDoc's is sublime, as is 76 FJ40's Sampson. The green on Thecrazygreek's is absolutely a favourite. Makes one want to have a bunch of different coloured ones. Maybe that is the answer.

3. "My so far aim, and now maybe my previous aim, for my 1979 FJ40 rebuild - 'Army Aircraft Green.' ..." AAG = Army Aircraft Green. Looks damn good to me!

4. What I meant was: Make another pitcher of Margarita's (heavy on the Cointreau) and sit the lady down and explain the "areas of responsibility". My suggestion she takes responsibility for the choices with regard to accommodations, furnishings, drapes, cushion covers etc etc, but not for decisions in workshop and products thereof that you intend to keep for a "million-billion years".

If no agreement can be reached on that point there is a lady that will agree to those conditions...

Come to think of it though, the colour choices for the Dagha Boy - body, bezel, roof, wheel rims and upholstery - were all made by my lady supervisor (the Mid-West Farmer's Daughter - MWFD) and I have to live with that, or I have to move on.

Maybe it is best to just leave these decisions to Beautiful Intelligent Women and have another Margarita.

There is powerful motivation in : "If you want a true chick-truck, one that will get you laid more regularly, go with the Keswick Green," she said with slight, but clean smile." In fact, the survival of the species may just depend on that.

Installed my antiwrap using an 80 series front control arm. I wasn’t able to get the shackle angle any more vertical because of the gas tank under the vehicle. I’ll flex it out in the next week or so and build some 1” bump stop extensions so the bar won’t hit the gas tank.

3184A90C-A401-4E12-9587-75E629B3C17B.jpeg

345D6F85-AEEA-45AD-963D-3F66F852FECF.jpeg

Keswick Green is certainly not a "chick color"; though it may just draw the birds if that is your desire.

It is my opinion that only the best of men have attractive females who advise them; it is a mark of their high opinion of you that they offer the advice. And a wise man at least considers that advice.

BTW, I have a lovely wife of almost 30 years and two astonishingly beautiful female friends who conspire to ensure I achieve my potential as a man. I have not purchased my own clothes, for instance, for 10 years now, and that is a Good Thing.

@Skydog, This is the color I've finally settled on for my truck if I can ever stay home long enough to work on it. I'm going with a matte finish though.

I dont recall the color code, but I found it here at some point

And thanks for the good laugh!

IMG_5005.JPG

@Skydog, This is the color I've finally settled on for my truck if I can ever stay home long enough to work on it. I'm going with a matte finish though.

I dont recall the color code, but I found it here at some point

And thanks for the good laugh!

.View attachment 1561410
@69LC : that's the 1972 OEM color 622 / Nebula Green (color code 44678).

I just recently (this past week) photoed an FJ-45 repainted to that same color (below).

Note: although the color is the exact same (between your pic & mine), the difference is the lighting. In the Toyota marketing image (above), the clouds are overcast & the lighting is heavily diffused. In my images (below), the light is direct, orangeish sunlight at early morning. So, figure a range of hue in between the two distinct lighting of the came color :

msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2017_FJ45_17-10101sm.jpg

msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2017_FJ45_17-10102sm.jpg

msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2017_FJ45_17-10103sm.jpg

msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2017_FJ45_17-10104sm.jpg

~Skydogger

That "Rover" green will look sweet on a '40. You and your lovely friend will both be pleased. Do it!
Dave :

I have & hold a high respect of you, and and respect your words highly.

Is truly a tough call for me, as I've always known if I go green or blue, either would NEED to be heavily grayish. And as a future forest & nature trail vehicle (much like yours), I'd naturally be wanting to go the rugged road of green (as opposed to blue - although mine out of the factory natively being Sky Blue). But the kicker for me has been that Army Aircraft Green, in person on a not too long ago repainted Army Cobra helicopter I'm dearly familiar with - "is to die for." It's a truly, truly cool, industrial-grade quality color, as it changes hue from a gray green, to a taupe, to an outright bronze.

Tough, tough, tough call for me.

But now, a second lady friend of mine; who like the first lady friend is artistic & design oriented, believes the color scheme & vehicle concept in the image below "is 100% me." (which is of course the Keswick Green). - - And just like the first lady friend, the second lady friend wants to marry me. Soooo... I'm actually More Confused Than Hell, as there's yet a third lady friend who's in the same exact boat (er, I mean, future Land Cruiser) !!!

xrz.jpg

Thanks !!
~Marc

Howzit Skydog.

Firstly, my comment should be read bearing in mind it comes from a 62 year old bachelor... My experience is that you may hold on to a classic vehicle for a "million-billion years" whereas the romantic interest may not last that long and then you're stuck with a vehicle colour not quite to your liking.

> Is there a book somewhere I can read about women ? About how to make them last longer ?? ... When I meet an overly attractive woman, my first words to her are usually, "I want you to be with me for a million-billion years." ... I'm needing to read some books, because they keep turning around & walking away ... :-(

Having said that I have been under the same female supervision for 10 years. She gets to choose the colours etc in the houses and can change that as she pleases, (Just spent 2 months redoing the whole damn place instead of working on the Dagha Boy) but colour on a vehicle is another thing entirely.

> It's a very good thing you've been in a strong relationship for 10 years now. And it's also a very good thing your lady has a respect for your man-cave, and the colour of your toys within it ... :)

Your points:

1. That also briefly crossed my mind. But while it could be possible, it is a far stronger probability that the "devil's own transport" just did what they do - sprayed oil all aver the place. What we cannot tell from the photographs is that it probably also broke down right there and had to be loaded on a roll back to get it home.

> Soooo nice to be amongst the family of us here of TRUE Land Rover RECOVERY VEHICLES !! :)

2. My suggestion was that for a keeper like that go with what YOU like. In my opinion there are many colours that go well with 40 series. I normally don't like blue vehicles but TractorDoc's is sublime, as is 76 FJ40's Sampson. The green on Thecrazygreek's is absolutely a favourite. Makes one want to have a bunch of different coloured ones. Maybe that is the answer.

> Agreed. And in a million-billion years from now, I'll have enough $$$ for a fleet of them !! ... I CAN'T WAIT !! :)

3. "My so far aim, and now maybe my previous aim, for my 1979 FJ40 rebuild - 'Army Aircraft Green.' ..." AAG = Army Aircraft Green. Looks damn good to me!

> Sooo, you prefer the Army Aircraft Green over the Keswick Green ??

DSC_4043.JPG

msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2017_Cobra826_12-07102g(f).jpg

msp_FJ40-ODconcept3x3(f).jpg

4. What I meant was: Make another pitcher of Margarita's (heavy on the Cointreau) and sit the lady down and explain the "areas of responsibility". My suggestion she takes responsibility for the choices with regard to accommodations, furnishings, drapes, cushion covers etc etc, but not for decisions in workshop and products thereof that you intend to keep for a "million-billion years".

> That'll be easy. Thanks for the idea !! ... I'll call her back up, say, "Margaritas ?" ... and she'll come running ! :)

If no agreement can be reached on that point there is a lady that will agree to those conditions...

> That's an even better idea still. But my idea would be to continue to sit across the table from her and say, "Another pitcher of Margaritas ?" ... and she'll then agree with all my further words. :)

Come to think of it though, the colour choices for the Dagha Boy - body, bezel, roof, wheel rims and upholstery - were all made by my lady supervisor (the Mid-West Farmer's Daughter - MWFD) and I have to live with that, or I have to move on.

> And you have a PERFECT woman !! ... Well, Perfect Enough !! :)

Maybe it is best to just leave these decisions to Beautiful Intelligent Women and have another Margarita.

> A BIG CHEERS to YOU mate !!

There is powerful motivation in : "If you want a true chick-truck, one that will get you laid more regularly, go with the Keswick Green," she said with slight, but clean smile." In fact, the survival of the species may just depend on that.

> Correct !! ... The survival of the species may go ahead and depend upon my future rebuilt FJ40 & its finalized colour - - but likely not so much upon the pictured Rover !! :-(

Cheers to ya Mate !!
~Marc

Last edited:
Skydog, they are just playing you. As long as you are meeting their demands there is no challenge for them and they will move on to the next victim.
Getting laid is not a result of you doing what they want, it is a result of you NOT doing what they want. Why should they waist the goods if you have already caved in.
The one that teases you will advise you something different from what you like, the one that wants to mary you will advise you to chose what you like and the one that wants to get laid doesn’t care for it as she has a different focus.

I’d say let them work for it and don’t give in untill you have what you want out of it.

I'm at such a stand-still between the desired Army Aircraft Green (which looks stellar in real-life); and the newer color concept to me, Keswick Green - being that I like both scenarios, almost equally, and can visualize my '40 with a Cygnus White hard top or brown canvas OEM styled soft top - with either. And that either would look really good (the Aircraft Green being the darker vehicle route, and the Keswick Green being the lighter vehicle route). That I'm beginning to think it may be plausible to reconsider my original color idea - that of OEM Rustic Green (native to the year of my 1979) sprayed simultaneously with black (two guns spraying simultaneously, at the same pressure, mixing the paint together while still in the air, and mixed upon contacting the sheet metal).

This concept can not be photographed very well, as the photo below I had once made does not do the concept justice. But what I speak of is in the lower right. Solid Rustic Green is at the top. And in the lower left is Dune Beige sprayed simultaneously with Black, and then Dune Beige sprayed simultaneously with Rustic Green.

However, the Rustic Green & Black concept (which were spayed simultaneously together with two paint guns) and then top coated with clear coat - will offer to me the OEM color of Rustic Green (that I can remain in the "authentic OEM color fraternity" :) ), and will provide a true 3-dimensionality uncommon to any other non-metallic paint. Hence, with multiple layers of clear coat (that future scratches can be somewhat easily buffed-out), the concept will uniquely sport the dimensional characteristics of a metallic paint; though true to the 40-series, without any metallic in the paint.

NOTE : the camera (here) keenly reveals the individual dots of paint. But to the human eye, and in reality, these dots are incredibly tiny, and they all blend together, seamlessly. When standing three feet away, the eye can't make out exactly what it is. When in a shadow or at night, the plate in the lower right appears solid black. But under direct sunlight, it appears to be nearly solid Rustic Green (but not so minty). It appears as a 'weathered' rustic green. - - It's a really cool concept I had came up with early on.

msp_MarcStPierre_FJ40-PaintConcept_16-03103g-sm.jpg

With the Rustic Green & Black concept (lower right), I'd then do the entire outside of the vehicle with this, uniformly, albeit with a horizontal application of black Raptor bedliner on the rocker panel below the driver & passenger door. And then there'll need to be a black wheel flair over the rear wheel well (per the previous owner having cut-out the wheel wheel for such a flair, which was back then white). So, the black Raptor painted rocker panel will lead into the black, rear-wheel flair.

The potential downside to this paint concept *could* be toughing-up deep scratches. The individual dots of paint of course can not be swirled together, disrupting their random pattern. However, because the droplets of paint are indeed random, a respray of the same would be simple & would likely blend-in fairly easily. And of course the natural beauty of it would be - imperfections (of most any type) would be nearly invisible to the eye. Hence, a scratch or small ding would be optically minimized.

Your Thoughts ????

~Skydog

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom