Selling Price For My Built 2015 Land Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ah. So they were maybe just at maximum height in the showroom...? Makes sense.

Gotta have them billionaire doors! (NSFW language)

Seriously though, the doors are awesome in concept but (for me) the physical embodiment of something I wouldn't want to own out of warranty. Also see: all the new 300-400 hp 4 cylinder Volvo power trains that are supercharged AND turbocharged AND sometimes have a hybrid system wedged in there too. I'm all about progress where progress is a tangible improvement, but not when it's needlessly complex. Good grief, no thanks.

Last edited:
I really liked the Model X in general but the those cool doors are just to freaking slow when you’re getting kids in and out constantly. I can only imagine people in the kids school carpool line getting pissed waiting for you to open/close those doors. Lol!

I would love a self-driving car. While the Tesla X is appealing... the reliability issues reported with the wing doors are a concern for me.

-edited/updated-

Last edited:
I'm not clear on what you're suggesting @Angelo1 - are you saying the LC is too expensive to DD? I think @mcgaskins and I had a discussion similar to this once...

120 miles * 5 = 600 miles * 52 = 31,200 miles annually. Assuming you get the average mpg I see on my truck (13.5) that's 2,311 gallons of gas a year. I buy 85 at Costco right now and it's $2.25, and has been around there for a while.

So while that's $5200 in gas annually, and ~20 minutes a week of your life spent at the filling station - financially - it's extremely tough to justify a second car as a cost-savings measure, even if it gets 2-5x the MPGs. @mcgaskins and I sort of agreed that if it's fully depreciated you have a chance to get your money "back" when you have car ADD like he and I do and sell the fully-depreciated car and move on to something else, but even then there's still maintenance, insurance, plates, taxes etc. to deal with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the spice of automotive variety. If you're talking about trading in the X5 and moving to a LC and a Euro marque of some kind for an efficient ride, you're already eating some not-insignificant dollars (ask me how I know - I traded our X5M into the dealer we bought our 200 from.)

With all that said, I am (now) generally at peace with the fact that even with the operating cost premium a 200 brings, it's a better car to drive than many, safer than most, and that even when I scheme on how I could save miles and gas dollars on the LC taking the kids to school by finding a $2500 Prius that needs $1000 batteries and how I could do it on the cheap and save money - that it would take years to just break even... and then I'd be driving a Prius. :p

Of the 3 cars currently on my insurance card, the LC gets the best gas mileage which is a sorry state of affairs, and all of these are "nice to haves" for sure.

Overall though if I was in your situation of wanting a 200 but also driving a lot of miles daily - I'd much rather pile a quarter million miles on an LC over the next decade.

After that, if compelled to do so, you would still be able to sell it probably for no less than $15k because LCs have residuals that are among the very best - versus trying to split miles between the LC and a euro car that will almost assuredly have more depreciation as a percentage of the purchase price as well as have far higher maintenance costs. Just some $0.02 and food for thought!

You can actually save a fair bit on Gas with Costco. Currently 82 cents a gallon less than the local stations. If you were to fill up there all/most of the time that's at least $1,600 over a year. It's the only thing I use the membership for.

I was going to respond to your comment re: the "liberal elite" that are pro-Tesla, but I think if anyone is taking sides in EVs, it's the other side of the aisle.

Anyway, for the sake of clarity - up to this point politically it's frequently been conservatives that are anti-Tesla, not only in part due to the $7,500 EV tax credit being seen as too-large liberal-driven government largesse, but also as undue application of tax dollars and redistribution of wealth, established Big Auto interests with deep lobbying pockets feeling the threat of a disruptor, you name it.

Witness the local drama:

Link

So... Yeah, there's that.

It's interesting, where we (whether state level or federal level) decide to give tax credits or subsidies. I think no industry should get handouts, nor should the people buying products. Every product should rise or fall on its own merits. More broadly, the same is true of companies. @TonyP is right, the auto companies probably should not have been bailed out, despite the pain of the jobs we'd have lost. I understand why they were, as there is a huge supply chain tied to companies like GM, but I don't believe in "too big to fail" in business.

That being said, I also think the federal government has a role to play in expanding beneficial - and globally important - technologies, such as solar. Perhaps low-interest loans would be more of a "meet in the middle" solution than outright subsidies. States can choose to offer a tax credit (such as Colorado) and that's up to them.

@Markuson - When we went on a Model X test drive, at the end of it we had to park in a very crowded parking garage. The sales guy said to me as I was about to park: "just pull up right next to that row of cars, past the parking spot", and the car did the rest perfectly. The falcon-wing doors had only about 8-10 inches in which to open and they did so, without coming in contact with the vehicle next door.

I've seen videos of the doors (there are many on youtube) and Tesla engineered them well overall. Like the suspension on the Tesla, the doors can "remember" where you are and where obstructions are - so if you have them set a certain way for your garage, they will theoretically retain that setting. Plus they have sensors in the doors, etc.

I agree that they are not fast enough. I also think the minivan door is damned near perfect and maybe Tesla should have just made minivan doors seem "cooler" somehow without trying to reinvent the wheel unnecessarily. There is literally not a more practical and proven door application on vehicles than the sliding minivan door. I wish my 200 had them!

As for the other sensors and cameras, someone mentioned they are worthless in the snow. From what I understand, all of them are heated, which would help at least a little. Of course, once you get road salt and dirt caked over the car, as happens in Colorado, you will lose some of them until they are cleaned. The same is true of any modern car's parking sensors and backup cameras so I don't think this is unique to Tesla other than they have considerably more exterior facing cameras.

Fun fact, the backup camera that shows on the center (giant) screen can be left on while you're driving and used as an effective lane change camera. It's kind of trippy.

It's interesting, where we (whether state level or federal level) decide to give tax credits or subsidies. I think no industry should get handouts, nor should the people buying products. Every product should rise or fall on its own merits. More broadly, the same is true of companies. @TonyP is right, the auto companies probably should not have been bailed out, despite the pain of the jobs we'd have lost. I understand why they were, as there is a huge supply chain tied to companies like GM, but I don't believe in "too big to fail" in business.

That being said, I also think the federal government has a role to play in expanding beneficial - and globally important - technologies, such as solar. Perhaps low-interest loans would be more of a "meet in the middle" solution than outright subsidies. States can choose to offer a tax credit (such as Colorado) and that's up to them.

@Markuson - When we went on a Model X test drive, at the end of it we had to park in a very crowded parking garage. The sales guy said to me as I was about to park: "just pull up right next to that row of cars, past the parking spot", and the car did the rest perfectly. The falcon-wing doors had only about 8-10 inches in which to open and they did so, without coming in contact with the vehicle next door.

I've seen videos of the doors (there are many on youtube) and Tesla engineered them well overall. Like the suspension on the Tesla, the doors can "remember" where you are and where obstructions are - so if you have them set a certain way for your garage, they will theoretically retain that setting. Plus they have sensors in the doors, etc.

I agree that they are not fast enough. I also think the minivan door is damned near perfect and maybe Tesla should have just made minivan doors seem "cooler" somehow without trying to reinvent the wheel unnecessarily. There is literally not a more practical and proven door application on vehicles than the sliding minivan door. I wish my 200 had them!

As for the other sensors and cameras, someone mentioned they are worthless in the snow. From what I understand, all of them are heated, which would help at least a little. Of course, once you get road salt and dirt caked over the car, as happens in Colorado, you will lose some of them until they are cleaned. The same is true of any modern car's parking sensors and backup cameras so I don't think this is unique to Tesla other than they have considerably more exterior facing cameras.

Fun fact, the backup camera that shows on the center (giant) screen can be left on while you're driving and used as an effective lane change camera. It's kind of trippy.

The reason they designed the backup camera to stay on was because they had a huge amount of complaints about the tiny rear view mirror and horrible rear window visibility. I do like the camera staying on regardless because the view is much better then your typical rear view mirror.

That’s a big price difference, it’s only .15 lower compared to nearby stations in my area.
You can actually save a fair bit on Gas with Costco. Currently 82 cents a gallon less than the local stations. If you were to fill up there all/most of the time that's at least $1,600 over a year. It's the only thing I use the membership for.

In most regards I'm a Statist so I'm on board with that. States rights are, after all, what our government is suppose to be based on. However, the federal government essentially mandating the taxpayer subsidize EVs and Solar is kinda bull****. If it was up to the state, that's cool. If you want EV or solar tax credits/subsidies, move to that state. States rights. One of the reasons why I plan to get a house in CO when I retire, they're fine with you picking a certain plant up off the ground and smoking or eating it which I'm counting down the days to :)

That’s a big price difference, it’s only .15 lower compared to nearby stations in my area.

I know, seems the local stations kept theirs prices high after the hurricanes while Costco brought them back down. Just checked, 2.19 for regular, 2.63 for premium, local stations are all at 2.89 regular / 3.49 a gallon for premium. That adds up at 13.5 mpg.

That's great to hear you have some real-world knowledge on people happy with the X. Many naysayers abound regarding that vehicle.

I'm also not sure why Americans are not 100% behind a company like Tesla. Even if you can't afford one of their cars, it seems like it would be something you'd be positive about. I read a lot of negative comments about the company and their vehicles (not just here, but elsewhere as well). They're an American company and they are making amazing EV's. They are working at making the air cleaner - a goal that seems fairly apolitical to me. If your electricity comes from a coal plant, you can buy solar panels and a powerwall as well. Yeah, it's all expensive. That doesn't mean it's not worthwhile, and solar panels have dropped dramatically in price and have become significantly more efficient, as have batteries. This is largely due to early adopters biting the bullet and paying for the R&D with their purchases. Seems to me there is more of a "liberal elite" stigma on solar and EV's. Maybe I'm off-base, but that's what I've picked up on - not just here, but elsewhere.

I'm not 100% sure I'm buying the Model X yet, but probably 90% sure we're getting it. Looks like late November, as I have some big (for me) transactions going on in November and I don't want to rock the boat. I'm selling the Florida operation of my business and closing on a good chunk of land in Pine, CO (about an hour from Denver) where we plan to build a family cabin.

I love my 200, and I'm also not 100% sure I will sell it. It should be back from the body shop in a few weeks and I'm sure when it's all shiny and new-looking again I will probably fall in love with it!

If I do get the X, I will definitely post up some pictures. I might put the 200 on the market just to test the upper limits on pricing, knowing I don't need to sell it. If I do sell and cash out, I would then get the X.
Makes sense. Good luck with the business sale in FL and the closing of the cabin land.

I don't own any Tesla vehicles, though wife has a deposit down for the 3. However, TSLA stock profits has paid for 3 new investment properties in CA for me, so I love ELON for the amount of $$ he makes me :)

I really liked the Model X in general but the those cool doors are just to freaking slow when you’re getting kids in and out constantly. I can only imagine people in the kids school carpool line getting pissed waiting for you to open/close those doors. Lol!
There are 4 Tesla X in our carpool lane this school year. Only one uses the carpool lane. Rest park on street and walk their kids for the exact reason you stated :D

Then none of my neighbors would have bought them.

Around here, "American cars" and "minivans" lower the property value. You should see the snickers of my neighbors due to my Taco PRO and 200 that sits outside. Since I don't have any Euro metal outside, I am the loser/poor person of the neighborhood bringing down the property value with my "Japanese gardener vehicles" :D

Not to hijack the thread, but I too have been considering selling Fat Amy....

I love her, but she is paid for, and it so happens the amount she's likely worth is the same amount of money I still owe on the home mortgage.

May make a thread too to determine her value.

Then none of my neighbors would have bought them.

I'm not sure you can say with certainty that your neighbors would not have bought a Model X, if not for the current design of the Falcon-Wing doors. A Model X with doors that slide instead of raise, is still a Model X. In other words, it's still a glorified electric minivan (which is one of the reasons I like them!)

I love all sorts of vehicles - particularly those that have a clear purpose for existing and then execute well on that purpose. Minivans, priuses and even my Ridgeline all fit that ethos and it's probably why I'm drawn to them. Same for the 200 and same for a Model X. That's one thing I do really enjoy about the vehicle enthusiast community - people have STRONG opinions on vehicles!

I love her, but she is paid for, and it so happens the amount she's likely worth is the same amount of money I still owe on the home mortgage.

200's are dropping like flies Andrew. @mcgaskins, would you like to share with the class? :)

^^^ WHAT??^^^

DO IT!!!!. When I did it 4 years ago, its the best feeling in life, compared to all my friends and family I constantly hear crying about it.

I'm not sure you can say with certainty that your neighbors would not have bought a Model X, if not for the current design of the Falcon-Wing doors. A Model X with doors that slide instead of raise, is still a Model X. In other words, it's still a glorified electric minivan (which is one of the reasons I like them!)

I love all sorts of vehicles - particularly those that have a clear purpose for existing and then execute well on that purpose. Minivans, priuses and even my Ridgeline all fit that ethos and it's probably why I'm drawn to them. Same for the 200 and same for a Model X. That's one thing I do really enjoy about the vehicle enthusiast community - people have STRONG opinions on vehicles!
I like all sorts of vehicles too. As you know our garages are very similar.

I didn't mean to say that people here bought DUE to them the falcon doors. I was saying, if it had "minivan" doors, lots of people wouldn't have bought them.

Even though the X IS a minivan, most of the women around here (logic escapes them), won't be caught dead in a minivan....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom