New FJ in Tokyo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got back from a trip to Japan/Russia and Hawaii and took these shots at a Toyota exhibition in Tokyo. They had the new Tundra's and Tacoma's and are pushing next gen Prius and a hydrogen car, but look here, right hand drive 4wd FJ brand new and going for Y3.3M which is about $33k. I thought they were done making these but they are all over Japan we saw lots of em. Can you see the body color rear view mirror on the front left fender, thought that was cool as seen from drivers seat.

IMG_3192.JPG

IMG_3198.JPG

IMG_3201.JPG

Pretty normal for Toyota to discontinue a vehicle in the US but continue production outside. 80 series was made for many years after discontinuation here.

Oh boy how much to import one over? We've been stuck on the "what do we get next" question whenever we decide ours is done. Fingers crossed we have a few more years with her but.....

Pretty normal for Toyota to discontinue a vehicle in the US but continue production outside. 80 series was made for many years after discontinuation here.
Not only that but I saw FJ's in colors I have never seen before, i.e. a purple that was lighter than "Brick" and a red that was lighter than my "Radiant Red" also most of the FJ's I saw in Japan and Russia had no roof racks and roof was body color. Missed a few because I didn't have camera ready.
Heres one I saw in Sakhalinsk, Russia. This one was different, had roof rack but black roof and my 16 inch TRD wheels from 2012.

IMG_2820.JPG

Last edited:
Oh boy how much to import one over? We've been stuck on the "what do we get next" question whenever we decide ours is done. Fingers crossed we have a few more years with her but.....
Importers can get you one, but it would be right hand drive from Japan, they drive on the left side of the street like England,Australia, etc.
I would bet shipping charges are low compared to any import tax and licensing fees you might pay.
When I emigrated from England I shipped a crate that was about a cubic yard and 400lbs. I sent it from England to San Francisco and picked it up at the warehouse on the wharf and it cost me $100 in 1981. It also cost me $100 in unloading fees, i.e. taking it off the ship ( in a container) and unloading into a warehouse. My in-laws bought a VW camper in Germany in 1975 and drove it around Europe then shipped it from Dublin, Ireland to NYNY for $300 on a Russian freighter. Shipping is cheap, takes months though. Of course, these quotes were from the 70's and 80's, but call a shipper you might be surprised.

Last edited:
There is still the 25 year rule for importing non-US spec vehicles (below the 49th, I mean). So you would have to wait until at least 2031-32 to get a first year model FJC from Japan. Otherwise we'd all be driving the 30th anniversary 70 series which was released a couple years ago!

There is still the 25 year rule for importing non-US spec vehicles (below the 49th, I mean). So you would have to wait until at least 2031-32 to get a first year model FJC from Japan. Otherwise we'd all be driving the 30th anniversary 70 series which was released a couple years ago!
///There is still the 25 year rule for importing non-US spec vehicles/// I am not familiar with this but I know several neighbors in my vicinity who have imported 1, a BMW from Germany and 2, a Mercedes from Germany. I know both couples went to Germany relatively recently and bought the vehicles in Germany. They had to present the vehicles to Ca DMV for inspection and pay $500 import duty but they are now registered here.
Actually I had to present my FJ to CA DMV because it came in from a dealer in Missouri, I had to pay $50 and get it Ca smogged even though Toyota sent a 50 State legal document, didn't matter to Ca DMV, to them it was an import from a different state.

The imported vehicles need to meet the current US EPA/NHSTA standards to be legal here and local DMV regs to be titled/tagged. I'm really surprised that CA is one state lenient on the local DMV side. Some states are easier to register from abroad than others. Some EU spec vehicles may likely meet those criteria, but anything from the Pacific Rim, Asia or Africa doesn't. These regulations are waived for vehicles over 25 years of age.

Different brand, but it was a big story a few years ago.
US Customs crush illegally-imported Land Rover Defender

i would also think that if your importing a euro benz or a bimmer you also got the cash to find a way to make it "legal". Theres alot more "grey" market german cars then one would think i bet. money can make things happen

///Theres alot more "grey" market///
That reminds me of a situation that occurred in around '92 when my wife went to do the bi-annual smog on her Mazda 626. The smog place thought that car was a grey market car because there was no underhood sticker. There was no underhood sticker because a few months earlier she rear-ended a UPS truck that had no brake lights and it messed up her hood and needed replacement. How dumb of the smog shop to think that was a great market car! They eventually hooked it up and it passed. Not exactly a BMW!! Wife had to produce the receipt of the repair though.Also dumb of the repair shop to not get a sticker from the dealer or tell her that might happen.

Or they have an a single member LLC in MT buy the car, then register it in MT. You have to have MT plates but hey, you save sales tax on the purchase price, and whats a smog test? :)

I think there would be some minimum length of time to be registered in MT to avoid 9% sales tax. The smog test is $50 but is much more when you have to take a day off work to get it done.

Vehicle stays registered in mt. You have to renew every year but you can do it online. You register it in another state and i believe some states will charge you sales tax on it since you never paid when you bought it. Its shady but completly legal. I was being funny about the smog test. Here in MT we dont smog so we have 1000 turbo diesels that roll coal everywhere they go. Soon they will ruin it for everyone.

ha, I believe this rear view mirror is a Japanese joke )
How so bro? I sat in the passenger seat and saw the view. Both sides are close-ups. It would illuminate the need we have (?) to adhere close-ups in our door rear views. You have to know the rear view is horrible in an FJ? I know it is. Heres what we are talking about , I think.
IMG_3201.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom