Good Deal on Koyo Radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LFD2037

TEXAS LEXUS!
Threads
Thought I'd share this in it's own thread for others needing a radiator.

"LFD2037 said:
I ordered the so-called Koyo TYC off Amazon. It was in a TYC box with a TYC sticker on the radiator. Oh, and the side was caved in but the box was in perfect condition. I sent it back. This time I ordered a Koyo 1918 from CarId.com but from their ebay site FOR $146 + shipping. It arrives today. I'll let y'all know if it's a Koyo, which I doubt, or a TYC. If it's another TYC branded radiator then it's going back and I'm ordering OEM."

Well here it is. It IS a Koyo for $177 delivered ( 1918 Koyorad - Radiator ). It's in a Koyo box with Koyo stickers on it but a TYC sticker on the box. I spoke with Koyo last week and they said they make radiators for TYC and it is a Koyo if it comes in a Koyo box with a Koyo sticker on the radiator. Koyo said there's no difference in quality in any of their rad.'s that have the same part number. I also, talked to TYC last week after receiving my other radiator off of Amazon. They stated Koyo does make radiators for them but so do other manufacturers so the one off Amazon was obviously made by a different manuf. (probably APDI, it was crap).
FB0FD64E-9E45-4FF5-B4F7-602E6D2E621D.jpg

7887790E-14F9-472B-BB65-A45CC9ED3D60.jpg

B230FB16-A423-4AD7-A810-E16C616FE2DE.jpg

67977D03-0A55-47AA-9835-479E7F24D4F3.jpg

This radiator is definitely different than the TYC one I got off of Amazon. These fittings are brass, the other were silver. This is in a different box w/different packaging & made in Indonesia (the TYC was made in China). Also, the aluminum 'frame' on this one is completely different than the TYC boxed one.

Good luck! I am done with all plastic tanks. OEM- failed after a year installed at dealership a year before I bought the truck. KOYO(Identical to above)- failed after a few months. All aluminum here I come.

Made in Indonesia is a good sign it's genuine Koyo. IIRC, isn;t that where Toyota is sourcing some of theirs now for OEM?

I got my Koyo about 2 years back before I realized that OEM was nearly as cheap as that back then. That was around $250. They've obviously dropped the price more, at least through your source. Mine was out of Tennessee, but don't recall who. No doubt about it being a Koyo. The frame was still steel on mine, perhaps that's new. So long as strong enough, probably shaves a few pounds off.

Good luck! I am done with all plastic tanks. OEM- failed after a year installed at dealership a year before I bought the truck. KOYO(Identical to above)- failed after a few months. All aluminum here I come.
2 quality radiators in < 2 years? Sounds like an anomaly, not the norm. Many have been running plastic tank rad.'s for 15+ years before they broke. I don't have $900 to spend on an all aluminum radiator, & even if I did, I still wouldn't. But that's just me! I have faith I'll get many years of service from this one. Thanks.

I was excited to put the Koyo in and I hope its an anomaly! Waxahachie= radiator test 6 months a year lol

Waxahachie= radiator test 6 months a year lol
I don't understand what you mean by that. :hmm: Could you please explain.

Its hot there. Its hot here too; but not for months on end. :cheers:

My '97 LX has what appears to be an original aluminum radiator.....it sure as hell isn't plastic; my others had plastics rads.

Mine looks like it's in good shape too.

My 96, fingers crossed and avoiding jinx, has plastic tanks and is 19yo. It doesn't leak, but if the motor is hot and you get all up close and personal, you can get that sweet coolant smell if you're next to the upper tank. A new rad, w/p, hoses +phh is in the near future as a big PM job that the PO never touched. It has ngk wires and autolite plugs in it as well so who knows WTF he did, or didn't do. He also told me he engaged the lickers every 6 months, and they "always blinked". Glad I got them to truly engage, and climb over a few things. Sorry, off topic. Yes, seems like you got a great deal. I'll do a plastic tank since mine is 19yo and doing OK. I can't justify the $700+ aluminum unit in there. Headaches would gonaway, and it'd sure look nice, but I'm not that rich (don't look at my new slee lift and everything else I've recently done, I'm poor!)

The only inherent weakness in the plastic tank is that darn nipple for the bypass hose. Way too exposed by design, as it wasn't a good place for it even if metal, plastic with a built-in lever is asking for trouble. I'd bet half the radiators sold are simply because someone broke that :censor: thing off...OK, maybe not half, but I'll bet a bunch are.

That said, I've had no problems with the plastic tank on either of our radiators, the OEM 17 yo one or the new one -- not even the painful broken nipple.:crybaby:

Quit saying "broken nipple".....
:(
I'm gonna second that on plastic tanks being durable, I've had a couple of vehicles besides the 'cruiser that had them from the OEM (Volvo, Ford, Mazda, Nissan, MB) and I'm still a fan. Come to think of it, just about everything I've owned in the last 25 or more years has had a radiator with an aluminum core and plastic tanks. Geez.
Now if I were a rich man......

I've used Koyo radiators on other vehicles with great success, but didn't work out so well for my 80. I bought one through Amazon (Prime 2-day shipping) and it arrived damaged (shipping damage). Amazon promptly replaced it (next day air) with another one... that one came damaged as well. Amazon promptly issued a refund.

Next, I purchased a Denso radiator through Parts Geek. It arrived damaged too! Sent it back for a refund as well.

In the end, I shelled out a few extra bucks and bought a new OEM T-Rad radiator (Made in Japan). This totally removed UPS from the picture and I couldn't be happier.

Bottom line - buying a radiator to save a few bucks that involves UPS is a big no-no. It might be ok if these radiator companies would package their stuff better, but for now, I won't make that mistake again.

Damaged Koyo Radiators:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441131383.611487.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441131416.438554.jpg

Finally!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441131672.816117.jpg

I've used Koyo radiators on other vehicles with great success,

Bottom line - buying a radiator to save a few bucks that involves UPS is a big no-no.

I totally agree about UPS but the difference here is $177 vs. $387 so quite a bit more than a few bucks. I was willing to take the UPS trip once for a ~60% savings.

The Dummy in the last pic has been known to drag that trailer with a couple tons of rock all over Hell's Half Acre in the summer heat. Notice our desert is not flat. And guess what: I'm running a 4 year old Koyo 1918 aluminum core with plastic tanks.

Why a two year post revival for a BS opinion post that contributes nothing?:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom