Builds Poppy- '84 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason,

Wish you the best with your move. I moved a few times when I wore a younger mans clothes, wouldn't know where to start now. Look forward to seeing your new set up.

I hope Warren is happy and gets to ride shotgun...

Jason,

Wish you the best with your move. I moved a few times when I wore a younger mans clothes, wouldn't know where to start now. Look forward to seeing your new set up.

I can tell you I'm WHOOPED! If it weren't for my good buddy and his help with some of the heavier things, trash and recycling runs to the scrap metal yard and him taking a majority of my tables, benches etc... I'd probably stay put. I should be done packing the shop by Tuesday. Then I have 8 pallet boxes (~14000#) that FED EX Freight will take to the new shop. Beat the hell out of me moving it in a couple of Penske trucks...

I hope Warren is happy and gets to ride shotgun...

He'll be right up on the dash on the 100 rolling as hard as the FIVE-O will let me.

IMG_20171017_132407651.jpg
IMG_20171017_075628056.jpg
IMG_20171017_141619334.jpg
IMG_20171018_181139692.jpg

Per the weight tickets at the scrap yard I've thrown away 41,329# of misc #2 metals...:eek: But hey... its about 3300.00 in the bank... Pays for the shop move anyway and makes more room for inventory, right.

You guys would cry if you could see some of the stuff I've tossed.

J

I can tell you I'm WHOOPED! If it weren't for my good buddy and his help with some of the heavier things, trash and recycling runs to the scrap metal yard and him taking a majority of my tables, benches etc... I'd probably stay put. I should be done packing the shop by Tuesday. Then I have 8 pallet boxes (~14000#) that FED EX Freight will take to the new shop. Beat the hell out of me moving it in a couple of Penske trucks...

He'll be right up on the dash on the 100 rolling as hard as the FIVE-O will let me.

View attachment 1559367 View attachment 1559368 View attachment 1559369 View attachment 1559370

Per the weight tickets at the scrap yard I've thrown away 41,329# of misc #2 metals...:eek: But hey... its about 3300.00 in the bank... Pays for the shop move anyway and makes more room for inventory, right.

J

Hopefully they were all Jeeps

Hopefully they were all Jeeps

I've never owned a Jeep and there were a couple of 40 and 60 frames, tubs, 60 hoods, 60 fenders, 60 tailgates and 60 lift gates that were trashed. Not to mention 10-11 3& 4 speed transmissions, axles, housings, and 1, 1.5 and 2F motors..... I lost count of 3rd members and axles shafts.... Plus, a TON of Scout and E-Bronco parts.

J

I've never owned a Jeep and there were a couple of 40 and 60 frames, tubs, 60 hoods, 60 fenders, 60 tailgates and 60 lift gates that were trashed. Not to mention 10-11 3& 4 speed transmissions, axles, housings, and 1, 1.5 and 2F motors..... I lost count of 3rd members and axles shafts.... Plus, a TON of Scout and E-Bronco parts.

J
you do know that 60 semifloat long sides are no more....not even aftermarket . Can't count how many 3 and 4 speeds I've junked. they'll sit on Craigslist for 50.00 til the next ice age hits Phoenix

you do know that 60 semifloat long sides are no more....not even aftermarket . Can't count how many 3 and 4 speeds I've junked. they'll sit on Craigslist for 50.00 til the next ice age hits Phoenix

D,

Oh well...

While I wouldn't re-run or couldn't re-run some of the parts I trashed... some others might have.. But I'm done holding on to parts that might possible interest someone.... someday.... From here on out, if I take it off and it sits until the next shop sweeping... it goes in the dumpster, period.

But, I have 6 new in box Toyota semi-float axle sets; short and long sets, compliments of my local Toyota dealer/owners personal stash. Not to mention 10 or more of each front and rear used complete axle housings (most with 4:11s) and 4 complete full float rears.

As Andrea's uncle in the UK said to me; "Its only discontinued if I don't have one on the shelf or don't know where I can get one." He restores Aston Martin (pre-1953) classics. Try paying 5000 GBP for a damn headlight...

J

D,

Oh well...

But, I have 6 new in box Toyota semi-float axle sets; short and long sets, compliments of my local Toyota dealer/owners personal stash. Not to mention 10 or more of each front and rear used complete axle housings (most with 4:11s) and 4 complete full float rears.

As Andrea's uncle in the UK said to me; "Its only discontinued if I don't have one on the shelf or don't know where I can get one." He restores Aston Martin (pre-1953) classics. Try paying 5000 GBP for a damn headlight...

J
I'm on the fence with the semi float vs full float. I've run both extensively. On one hand the full float is great when you break an axle. Pull the broken shaft and roll home ( drive home if you a have a selectable locker). On the other hand the full float shafts seem to break much easier.
I went through six full float shafts but only one sem-ifloat. Same truck, a 55 with 35 x 14.5 Swampers, 350 tbi, 700r , 3:1 transfer.
I had to machine the hubs for 10mm studs or the factory 8mm studs would shear with a few hard runs. I never got to try them but Bobby Long had the drive plate kit that added 4 extra dowels to reduce the chance of shearing. You could do the same with the axle flange.
The other issue with the full float is if you break an axle , especially the long side, an inch from the carrier, you can't pull the third member.
With a semi float you can pull the inspection cover and have a chance at getting the broken stub from the splines. When the shaft breaks
the splines frequently twist . The stub sometimes needs some less than gentle encouragement to leave the carrier. My last fix for this was to build a full float housing from a semi-float . Best of both worlds from a mechanic's standpoint

Yeah, it is a tough call, but you have to go mercenary or you will never get it done.
Good luck, and looking forward to the next chapter of enabling.

Installed

20171007_122410.jpg

1508805161901791317662.jpg

You happen to have an old radio with the push button presets?

You happen to have an old radio with the push button presets?

J,

I have a few of those (1 new) but they are boxed up somewhere in the second warehouse in Redding. I'm not sure when I will ever get to dig through that stuff. It may be a few months or a few years.

J

J,

I have a few of those (1 new) but they are boxed up somewhere in the second warehouse in Redding. I'm not sure when I will ever get to dig through that stuff. It may be a few months or a few years.

J

I’d buy a working radio. Maybe the new one depending on price, If they’re for sale. No hurry. If you ever find them, and can remember.

I’d buy a working radio. Maybe the new one depending on price, If they’re for sale. No hurry. If you ever find them, and can remember.

I won't sell the new one. But I'd sell a used one. They were working when I took them out. I'll try to remember if I run across them.

J

Crap I got a TMH 16 foot lpg 2500 pound PIT I gotta put on the market- if you don’t mind my asking, what did you end up paying?

Crap I got a TMH 16 foot lpg 2500 pound PIT I gotta put on the market- if you don’t mind my asking, what did you end up paying?

S,

After the maintenance (new hoses, belts, oil change, coolant, etc..) partial/reduced tax, delivery etc.. mine came in right at $6800.00

It is a 2004 w/ 2714 hours, 6000#, w/1000# additional counter weight set, auto trans, triple mast -188" lift and side shift.

J

That’s a good price from what I understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom