Need some expert eyes on a 96. PICS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I found a 96 that I'm really interested in.
1 owner "old lady owned" but in the hands of a flipper sounds like. He admittedly knows nothing about it and is actually a cool guy.

200k original miles.

Interior and exterior are really clean. Rust free.

Here are the underside pics. From what I can tell, there is a leak around the rear main/trans/oilpan, the valve cover is leaking, and it has a low tire.

Anybody see anything else?

They're firm at $6800.

Thanks guys.

96 Under.jpg

96 under2.jpg

Coil.jpg

underhood.jpg

Thats kinda what I'm thinking. I'll have about 600 miles of road trip ahead of me if I snag it. Don't want it to leave me stranded in the desert.

Buy it and drive it. I drove my 96 back from Tennessee (about 500 miles) making a horrible intermittent sound from the front end. Turned about to be a bushing in the front end. Point is these are extremely durable rigs. You should be fine just make sure you check the oil about halfway or so.

I have been looking for my 3rd 80 so I can say 200k miles is a good find. Price is about what they go for in Seattle so probably about the same market in SD. If it is triple-locked its a steal. Up here the locked ones with higher miles are going for ~~$10K

Go to the FAQ"s and look that page over. There a couple of cheap items you can buy now for the trip back.... fuses and relays perhaps.

Looks great. Count on something like $1k to $2k in parts just bringing it all up to snuff. $6800 is slightly high unless it's been owned by a crazy 'Mud type who already did the preventative maintenance. I'm talking Birfield repacks and seal replacement, main seals, coolant and transmission flushes, alternator, starter, power steering pump, fuel filter, vacuum hoses, and all the other little things that make for a reliable, smooth-running rig.

So long as there are no idiot lights on the dash, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it home. Check the fluids and tires, and keep an eye on your voltmeter and oil gauge for the first hour.

$6800 is a d@mn good price for SoCal. 60 series start at $12k here. I posted a ‘94 I saw in th CL thread in SoCal 80’s for $3500.

Thats kinda what I'm thinking. I'll have about 600 miles of road trip ahead of me if I snag it. Don't want it to leave me stranded in the desert.

Heater valve looks original and by default the PHH is likely OG too...I'd start there.

^^^^ Yep. Put a flashlight on the PHH before you leave, just to see.

And yes, that would be the very first thing I'd do myself once you get it home.
Maybe a fuel filter too since there's a symbiotic helpfullness there.
I'd bet it was the OE one as well.

But yes, $6800 for a clear title & ~200K good runner seems fair - plenty of people in that price range, keep $1K for instant needs money & budget the same for the 1st year - if it is a good 80 & you can live with a few drips & such that should really be your big money spent (mods aside).

After you get a threshold & baseline, these really are economical if you do your own labor.
I bet I burn $3-500 annually on parts, I enjoy the wrenchtime.

Last edited:
i will always pay extra to avoid dealing with rust...and that rig looks about as good as it gets in those pics.

Well, it made it back in one piece. Here she is....

Ran pretty well for the 6 hour trip. Hoses definitely need to be replaced soon. Had me a little nervous on uphills in the desert.

Drove pretty well also, has a slight pull to the right, but probably nothing an alignment can't take care of.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Paint is solid, only the smallest bit of clearcoat peel on the roof and one fender flare.
Seats are original and look to have been covered since new. Carpet is ok. Droopy sun visors I ended up taking off halfway through the trip.
Radio, cig lighter, clock and dome all didn't work. Found blown fuses took took care of that.
Knuckles look awesome.
Tires are mismatched, but that will be taken care of soon.

Just wanted to say thanks to those who helped with my search and those who replied to this thread. Now to baseline it and "drive the sh!t out of it!"

1996 Moonglow.jpg

Heater valve looks original and by default the PHH is likely OG too...I'd start there.
Yep, those heater hoses still have the factory hose clamps on them, so your bet that the original PHH has never been changed is probably correct.

Where's the roof rack? Did it come w/o or has it been removed. Looks good let the spending begin!

After the glamour shot -daaaaaaamn, she's a looker!

You may have the 'buy of the month' if the rest of it looks as nice & baselines as expected. The front bumper is a throwaway temp anyhow, so that dimple doesn't count.

Any chance of cloth interior since no roof rack?

@mehbohdi Came without as I didn't see any holes or patches up top.

@LINUS ARB/warn sitting in the garage ready to roll!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom