Thumping while accelerating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ga12r1

The "triple locked" troll himself...
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cruisersontherocks.com
Last week I picked up a nice 2006 TLC with 145k miles on it. Very clean. All service done at Toyota dealer every 5k. All recommended service done. CV axles were replaced around 120k miles according to online Toyota history.

The cruiser has AHC and Yesterday I did a sensor lift before I took it to a tire shop to have new 305/65/18 ko2s installed. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary driving to the tire shop after the sensor lift. When I picked it up after having the tires put on I noticed a thump-thump-thump feel on acceleration from 5-30mph. It seems to go away after passing through 30. It’s almost like the sound/feel that an out of balance washing machine makes. It isn’t consistent though, in that it doesn’t always seem to do it. It’s seems to do it worse when it hasn’t been driven for a few hours, and definitely worse this morning when it was cooler. No noise when turning: just under straight line acceleration, under throttle. Seems to go away if I let off the throttle. Seems to be coming from front driver side but that could just be me.

Looking underneath everything seems ok. There are stickers on the CV axles that lead me to believe that they are not genuine Toyota replacements though.

Any ideas? I was thinking CV axle problem, but there isn’t any noise while turning, even lock to lock. Anyone seen this before?

Last edited:
Are you sure the tire isn't hitting the washer bottle trim?
Yeah, that's not it. There is plenty of clearance. No rubbing anywhere on anything.

It reminds me of when I used to run 40" bias ply Swampers and Ground Hawgs. After they sat overnight or a few days they would flat spot and act that way until they warmed up from driving.

Could it be a bad tire?

Someone might of lost a spanner or something in your tire during install. Strange but possible, removing the wheels to swap them around would allow you to check.

Could be, how easy is it for you to swap your wheels front to rear.
Not a big deal at all, it will just have to wait until tomorrow. I'll move the front to the back and see what happens. If i cant figure it out on my own tomorrow ill take it to my Toyota dealer Monday, so any and all ideas are appreciated.

Not a big deal at all, it will just have to wait until tomorrow. I'll move the front to the back and see what happens. If i cant figure it out on my own tomorrow ill take it to my Toyota dealer Monday, so any and all ideas are appreciated.
Did you ever figure out what was making that thump because I'm getting similar symptoms.

Did you ever figure out what was making that thump because I'm getting similar symptoms.
Yeah, too much angle on the (maybe) aftermarket CV. I went ahead and installed a diff drop and that solved the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom