"The Green Bastard" My free 85 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!

I got a used trans from a buddy, and it's in and happy now! Thanks Gnob!

I put in a free 4Crawler 3 inch body lift I got from a different buddy, thanks Kyron!!!

Then I did a drive train/gas tank lift. All that's left on that is to finish the mods on the gas tank skid plate.

Tomorrow I'm putting a different windshield in it, along with some longer brake lines up front.

Hopefully by this weekend it will be ready to wheel because I'm heading out on the road for work, and will not have much time before The McGrew Trail Ride in July...

Yeah, you'll all want pics.... I'm a busy guy right now, so hold your breath and you might get lucky! :cheers:

Raised rear crossmember:

DSC07488.JPG

Flat belly:

DSC07495.JPG

Used windshield and new hood ornament! :D

DSC07479.JPG

Well...... This thread lost all it's pictures.... that sucks....

7 years without an update.... That sounds about right.

What follows will be out of order and incomplete, but I've done a bunch of work to the 4Runner since 2010!

Here's a link about my on-board shower setup. On board shower

Skid plate, 2012.

Plate is 3/8", and mounts flat on the frame rails. I was able to make this work in combination with a 3 inch body lift, 3 inch drive train lift, and a clocked Marlin Crawler T-case adapter. The ground clearance is sweet, and a flat bottom slides well over the things I manage to touch. Clearance is around 23" I think.

dsc00846-jpg.616923

dsc00848-jpg.616924

dsc00852-jpg.616925

This year in 2 different parts, I converted the front end to coil-overs. Step one was to gut the front end
0909172214.jpg

Then I installed the links and get it back onto it's own tires so I could get it out of the garage before leaving for 5 months...

P1060732.JPG

However, without the shocks installed to hold it up, I had to improvise.... So for about 150 ft of it's driving life, my truck was running 4x4 wood blocks as suspension components.

0412170754.jpg

0412170754a.jpg

Last edited:
After being away for 5 months I came back and proceeded to clearance the frame so I could have as much travel as possible while keeping the ride height low. This involved articulating the axle up, down, left side stuff, right side stuff.... Pull the axle out, cut a bunch of frame off. Reinstall the axle, check again. Pull the axle again... Etc. Lost of tedium in here.... I'm glad it's over.

0909171950.jpg
0909171951.jpg
0909171952.jpg
0909172212.jpg

Still on the to-do list for this project:

Readjust air bump mounts (Unfortunately.... They are too low right now)
Get some nicer brake lines.
Lengthen the panhard bar. The bump steer is a lot worse than I was expecting....

That said, it wheels really nice, the ride quality is much improved, and the flex is super impressive for a full bodied rig that sits this low. RTI is nearly 1000. (Chevy 63" springs in the rear)

Some gratuitous flex pics:

0930170943f.jpg
1001171530.jpg
1001171530a.jpg

Last edited:
Dude, you didn't even come by and mooch lunch or anything this year.. Oh, well. Nice work on GB. Rock on! Where ever or whatever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom