Nothing interesting here, just another H55/splitcase into a 74 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

94 ftlb or 127 N-M

Or 3K Fig Newtons.

Yes, pretty sure it's a 32mm, but someone should verify (it's been a while).

Yep, 32mm. One good thing about having the transmission/transfer case hanging from the engine hoist in my garage.

All good now. Just sent it over to Kibbetech for a new cage and seat belts.

Bump

Have a related question. Had planned on picking this up in person but life has gotten in the way. Looking at gettting it shipped now. Figure some here might have a good idea of the weight of everything plus the pallet for a quote. Thanks:cheers:

thumbnail_P1050218.jpg
thumbnail_P1050320.jpg

Bump

Have a related question. Had planned on picking this up in person but life has gotten in the way. Looking at gettting it shipped now. Figure some here might have a good idea of the weight of everything plus the pallet for a quote. Thanks:cheers:

View attachment 1550132 View attachment 1550133
IIRC the last time I weighed a later transmission/transfer case combo it was about 210 lbs., but that was an older FJ60 without the extension housing. I've got my H55f with split case hanging from my engine hoist in the garage, but no good way to weigh it.

IIRC the last time I weighed a later transmission/transfer case combo it was about 210 lbs., but that was an older FJ60 without the extension housing. I've got my H55f with split case hanging from my engine hoist in the garage, but no good way to weigh it.

Thanks
I remember in a old SOR catalog them saying UPS would ship a H42 because it was under 150 pounds. Figured another 30 pounds for the fifth gear extension. That would be 250 pounds for the transmission and transfer case. Told the guy where it's at probably around 400 pounds for everything with the pallet. That may be a little light of the actual weight.

I’m still in need of a few items just in case anyone has something or knows where I can get these:

Last edited:
Just picked up the 40 from Kibbetech. They built the cage which was welded to the frame. They also built the new seat brackets using the original seat legs. They also installed and welded brackets for the seats and harnesses. Their work is incredible. I guess for a group of guys who routinely build $150-200k trophy trucks I guess this is cake.

The cage:

2F4EED02-EF55-4958-9797-D62F53861418.jpeg
516C856A-F89B-4856-91D3-69757C1D6AA7.jpeg
4A25E570-6477-43F2-AA65-38C4A0E9569A.jpeg
536D5358-DAE2-417F-9311-A643D100FAA7.jpeg
E8DD5D75-5F20-4918-A335-5BBF9B745DF2.jpeg

Are you planning on fabricating a transmission mount for the H55F?

Nope. Not needed. It's not going to be a rock crawler or even an occasional extreme Off reader. It's just for putzing around town.

Just picked up the 40 from Kibbetech. They built the cage which was welded to the frame. They also built the new seat brackets using the original seat legs. They also installed and welded brackets for the seats and harnesses. Their work is incredible. I guess for a group of guys who routinely build $150-200k trophy trucks I guess this is cake.

:hmm: Seems pretty extreme for putzing around town.

I’m still in need of a few items just in case anyone has something or knows where I can get these:

If by 2F inspection cover you mean the cover for the transmission then the one from the 73 is the same as the 74-78 with a four speed. Hole for shifters are different but those won't be correct for your application on either. 75/76 will have drains holes on either side of the heater that you don't need. 1/79 tub changed and was only a inspection plate.

4/85 the US got the longer four speed in the 60 series that should have a changed in the transfer case shifter to deal with this. Not a 60 guy but know the 81/82 (8/80-10/82) 60 had one style shift boots. Then 10/82-4/85. Third style was 4/85-8/87. The inspection cover changed on those same dates. My guess your looking for 4/85-8/87 for both shifter and inspection cover. Maybe the 10/82-4/85 inspection cover might work but doubt a shifter from that period would work.

What speedometer part number from SOR were you getting? They only show one for 1/79+. Not sure if that will be long enough for the five speed. My five speed will go in a 79 so need to figure if I have to do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom