RTH Rear Axle Won't Go In (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hell, I'm repacking my rear wheel bearings right now, and I cannot get the right rear axle half to go back in all the way. It stops about 5 inches short of inserted all the way. Any ideas?
I'm not trying to insert the long side into the short side, I'm sure of that.

there might be an oil ring in the housing. Have you tried pushing down on the axle flange while pushing in ? Won't take a lot of force to get it to go up.

Hell, I'm repacking my rear wheel bearings right now, and I cannot get the right rear axle half to go back in all the way. It stops about 5 inches short of inserted all the way. Any ideas?
I'm not trying to insert the long side into the short side, I'm sure of that.

Is this the vehicle in your sig with lockers? Did you lock the rear axle before you pulled the shaft out? If not, that could be the issue.

If that is the case I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will tell you the remedy. I have not faced that one yet :frown:.

I have not done the rear on my 80, but I have read threads about the locker needing to be in a certain position

I solved my own problem. I looked down the axle shaft and saw some round object blocking the hole from the top side. So I got a long copper rod and just pushed that in slowly, then lifted that ring thing up, and in the axle went right in. Any ideas what happened there?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom