Collapsed suspension. What to replace with? (1 Viewer)

To lift, or not to lift?

• Stock height

• .5" lift

• .75" lift

• 1" or greater lift.

• Just do an adjustable and figure the height out later.

Results are only viewable after voting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

N22

Threads
I think my front passenger side suspension broke.
Truck is sitting about a 1/4" from the front bump stop on that side. Driver side is about 1" from the bump stop.

Was thinking that when the suspension went I would use the chance to upgrade it a bit.

Can I do only the fronts IFS coilovers? Or should I do all four.
I just invested in a custom front bumper for the truck in September so less expensive would be preferable.

Truck has a 120lb front bumper on it. Mostly daily driving near empty, occasional heavy load.
Do a decent amount of gravel & forest roads and two tracks. On 235/85r16 tires.

I wasn't thinking of doing a lift as I haven't really felt the need. Also I use the truck a lot for work,so its nice having the bed low to load & unload stuff. But I did wack my front on a rock this summer in Vermont so.....

Let's hear what you guys have to say.

Be interested in this myself. Assume you have a truck, 2WD or 4WD? Year? I have a 99 4WD 4Runner. My suspension is worn and looking to do a small lift. From what I've read the 99 4 4Runner had the best clearance of all third generation 4Runners. If that was just 4WD or 2WD I don't know. If that was true of the Tacoma as well I'm not sure. I have a ARB bull and winch to install so will follow this thread. Believe the front ends use the same suspension. I don't want a rock hard ride but prefer a firm feel.

I was real happy with new Moog coils combined with KYB monmax shocks on the front of my 3rd gen. Made a world of difference in ride, but didn't lift it.
Sounds like you may have more issues than just a broken coil spring though. Show us a pic!

It's a 2000 Tacoma Extra-cab SR5 4x4 3.4L.
Sway bar is disconnected.

I was driving last night and noticed something felt off, looked at the truck briefly with a flashlight when I got home and it seemed low on one side.
Got a better look today and didn't see anything apparently broken.Rubber bushing on the shocks do look a little worn. Does looks a bit low on the passenger side front. Feels like the left is soft and bottoms out easily when driving.
Could be just sagged out springs? I'm pretty sure all springs and shocks are old and weak. I don't think they've ever been replaced in 27x,xxx miles.

Driver side:
WP_20171010_14_20_46_Pro.jpg

Pass. side:
WP_20171010_14_21_04_Pro.jpg

Pass. side:
WP_20171010_14_22_57_Pro.jpg

Driver side:
WP_20171010_14_23_18_Pro.jpg

Driver side:
WP_20171010_14_23_21_Pro.jpg

I can't fit a 1/2" bolt fully between the bumpstops

Last edited:
Looks like a simple mix of ragged out bushings, saggy springs and 270,000K miles. I'm going ARB on mine but that's $. If you just want to drive it a bit more while you save or figure it out I'd go online and get a cheap set of spring/shock assemblies to buy you a couple years. Looks as cheap as $45/side. Throw in some shipping and your rolling for $110. Might want to inspect the control arm bushings as well but that's a much bigger job.

I'd recommend just getting new coilovers. 277,000 miles is great for a set. She will.ride better too.

Also, if you haven't changed out the lower ball joint and upper ball joint I would really recommend that before they fail. The lower ball joint on these trucks is a common failure point.

Thanks! I'll focus my search an a new set of coilovers.
Do you think I should look into heavier springs considering the 120lb bumper?
Any suggestions as to what are decent set of coilovers? I can't justify buying a top tier set, but want to avoid the cheap junky stuff. (Partly because if it's working I'll have a hard time convincing myself to upgrade.)

I'll get the truck in the shop and check the balljoints and control arm bushings this weekend.
I've had the truck about 2 years and only have a few service receipts from the PO, so they should probably be checked.

You can get bilstein 5100 series struts for the tacoma application and just reuse your front coils. The bilsteins are adjustable so you can increase height a little. Looks like it's your strut bushings are shot but coils don't look broken. If you want the rear higher you can either replace the rear leaf springs or add spacers to the springs with longer u bolts.

I'd vote for OME or Bilstein 5100's if you plan on lifting it.

Otherwise you could consider this route, Napa has a "quick strut" that is ready to install for under $300 a pair. I did this before I lifted mine with Fox coilovers and they worked fine for me. Probably not as high quality as OME or bilstein though.
Napa link: Quick Strut Modular Assembly - Left Front

I've talked to a few guys at work this past week, and managed to corner one or two to look at my truck.
Seems they think I can get away with just putting a set of shocks on it.

I think I'll start with putting a set of Bilstein 5100's (#249928) on the front and seeing where that gets me. If it still feels bad then springs and/or maybe front Timbrens.

Has anyone tried front Timbrens? I know the rear one work great.

Looks like someone heated up the springs to collapsed them, the angle of your control arms is a give away. I have 300k on my 99 T4R with
stock springs and they are no where near the way your springs sit. Look for parting out on CL and find some used springs or buy a complete strut set up.

I thought the control arm didn't look right. But I had nothing to compare to.
Can someone post a pic showing the control arm angle?

In your second pic it looks like the UCA is close to level.
Mine don't.

I think I'm going to get springs and shocks separate,so I can use bilstein 5100s. Unless there is good reason not to.

Any one have any experience with Moog or Acdelco springs?
Finding it a bit limited in choices when it comes to finding stock height springs.
Also whats the difference in the off-road package springs vs the non off-road ones? Is one heavier?

In your second pic it looks like the UCA is close to level.
Mine don't.

I think I'm going to get springs and shocks separate,so I can use bilstein 5100s. Unless there is good reason not to.

Any one have any experience with Moog or Acdelco springs?
Finding it a bit limited in choices when it comes to finding stock height springs.
Also whats the difference in the off-road package springs vs the non off-road ones? Is one heavier?
If you buy springs and shocks separately you will need to use a coil compressor to move the top hat over from your old shocks to the new shocks. I've done it before on a friends 3rd gen 4Runner (same suspension as your Tacoma) with OME lift coils and it was a big pain but doable, this would be much easier with stock coils. Impact gun recommended.

No personal experience with those springs, I've only installed the ones above, OME, & Eibach. The lowest lift OME springs aren't bad either.

If you just want to undo a few bolts and not use the spring compressor check out Wheeler's, they build the shock for you. The catch is you have to buy a shock and coils from them.
Wheeler's In-House Bilstein Strut Assembly Service, 95-04 Tacoma

Use extreme caution if changing out those coils!

Thanks for the warning! I have access to a spring compressor at a friends shop.

DS front started clunking, the bushing is finally falling out.

I ordered some Bilstein 5100s. Will see what difference that makes.
Still looking for springs because I have a feeling I'll need them.

Last edited:
Bouncing ideas around here...may try spring rubber to see if it stops bottoming out, that may tell me if I need new springs......If I get .5 lift springs would the 120 lb bumper cause it to compress enough to not look ridiculous? Could crank the add-a-leaf in the rear.

Last edited:
Bilstein shocks were delivered, now just waiting on a set of Moog coils. They had 3 different part # listed for my truck so I just got the ones with the heaviest rating. We will see..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom