New vendor "Bowfin Cruisers" and new 80 series roof rack option (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The question of whether the extrusion is stiff enough has come up a lot. It is something that I am working on. The rack fits with the factory roof rack off and the strips down the center still attached. I am thinking about making a provision for turning the extrusion on edge if the 80 has the strips removed. It really wont change the side profile much, there would just be extra holes beneath the slots down the sides.
@dogfishlake
Patrick - I think this is enough to separate you from any others on the market and would add the need stiffness to the T-slots. Would it be too cost prohibitive to have the rack with the dual slotted side rails be an option?

I am interested in a rack plus shipping to 95920? Would it be better to wait for trail tailor to carry it in Redding or does it matter? Thanks for your time

I will pm you a shipping quote. I am starting out with just the first ten, then in the next few weeks will ramp up production.

@dogfishlake
Patrick - I think this is enough to separate you from any others on the market and would add the need stiffness to the T-slots. Would it be too cost prohibitive to have the rack with the dual slotted side rails be an option?

The height of the rails is just a bit short to turn them on edge right now. I am working on some other possibilities for it though.

Has the first ten filled yet? If not please add me, always happy to buy from a fellow Michigander!

Has the first ten filled yet? If not please add me, always happy to buy from a fellow Michigander!

Are self medicating by shopping after what happened in Happy Valley? :rofl:

Would an added 1/2" in height make it work?
It would and is a future possibility. I am going to look at rail stiffeners also. I think that like most other products out there, it can and will evolve.

I am at eight now if you are in, but everyone on the list has their spot but can opt out after better pictures are up.

Thank you!

And, I have more pictures. There are two standard color options for rails, fasteners, and extrusions. Silver and textured black can be mixed or matched as you like. Standard would be either an all silver rack where the extrusions are clear anodized aluminum; the sides, front, and latches are powder coated in Anodized Aluminum color powder; the fasteners are bright stainless, and the support washers are stainless.

The next standard would be textured black powder coated sides, front, stainless support washers, and latches; the extrusions would be anodized a satin black color; and the hardware would be black oxide stainless steel.

You can mix and match these as you wish. For example, the rack could be black with bright stainless hardware. Just let me know what you want.

Custom powder coating colors are available too. Just PM me what you are thinking and I will work with you. There may be a small upcharge depending on what you want but it would be minimal. The cross bars will only be available in black or silver (clear anodized).
20171022_161707.jpg
20171022_161830.jpg
20171022_161843.jpg

20171022_161820.jpg
20171022_161716.jpg

20171022_161954.jpg
20171022_161944.jpg
20171022_174849.jpg

The lightbar I used is a 40" generic from Amazon and it looks ok but the standard mounts don't fit the rack great, as it is set too far back. I have decided to include a pair of brackets (no charge) that will move the bar forward in the cutout to look better.
20171022_184831.jpg
20171022_184824.jpg

The silver color looks a little strange on my white truck but on a black, red, or other dark color it would be great.

Having the lightbar mounted further forward may produce more reflected light off the hood. You may want to test that. What your pictures show look good IMO.
It will adjust back too. That is definitely a problem with light bars. This rack sits back pretty far so I think it will be ok. Just the same, this one will stay on my 80 or at least move to my daughters 80 so it will get tested this week.

awesome looking rack. I prefer the style of the cutouts in the side plates better than the prinsu. There are three things that keep me from buying this rack.
1. Is there an way of designing a deflector or nerf into the rack so the latches don't get scraped off by trees or rocks?
2. Is there an easy way to mount round yakima cross bars onto the rack for all my Yakima accessories?
3. How long before the powder coated side plates get white and crusty and the black coating starts bubbling off in my coastal environment (not to mention the salty/sandy sea kayaks that are always being loaded.

awesome looking rack. I prefer the style of the cutouts in the side plates better than the prinsu. There are three things that keep me from buying this rack.
1. Is there an way of designing a deflector or nerf into the rack so the latches don't get scraped off by trees or rocks?
2. Is there an easy way to mount round yakima cross bars onto the rack for all my Yakima accessories?
3. How long before the powder coated side plates get white and crusty and the black coating starts bubbling off in my coastal environment (not to mention the salty/sandy sea kayaks that are always being loaded.

Through your questions
#1- I like the idea of a "nerf" on there an it is possible, but at the same time those latches are on there so solid with their lock down bolt that I you hit it that hard with a tree or rock there will be more damage to your truck too. That said, very slow speed against an obstacle it is rigid enough that with a nerf on there it would take the hit. Lots happening fast but I will kick that one around just the same.

#2 the Yakima bars would add on fine

#3 The powder coat job will hold up great. It is a super durable polyester over a sanded substrate with flouric acid pretreatment. No problems with UV or salt spray.

Hope it helps. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom