FJ60 Gas tank - Recall woes - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had my '87 FJ60 at the dealer the other day to have the gas tank reacall done. Turns out they had ordered the wrong tank - they had one for a 62 not a 60. No real difference except the holes on the top so they didn't know until they had my tank out. Anyway - before I drive 100 miles to the dealer again does anyone have a pic of the top of a 60 gas tank? I just want to make sure they have the correct tank before I drive there again... Thanks. (by the way - the dealer made up for the mix up - way to go TOYOTA)

How did the dealer make up for the screw up?

Yeah - 100 miles in a 60 can cost a bit for gas - even more when it's leaking out of your tank. They did cover my expense for the trip. :)

Yup - it's due to a possible flaw in the seam. That's were mine is leaking.

Had my '87 FJ60 at the dealer the other day to have the gas tank reacall done. Turns out they had ordered the wrong tank - they had one for a 62 not a 60. No real difference except the holes on the top so they didn't know until they had my tank out. Anyway - before I drive 100 miles to the dealer again does anyone have a pic of the top of a 60 gas tank? I just want to make sure they have the correct tank before I drive there again... Thanks. (by the way - the dealer made up for the mix up - way to go TOYOTA)

Just had mine replaced two weeks ago and the same thing happened, they ordered the tank for the 62 (how does this happen when they have the VIN to go by?)

They made up for it nicely by putting me in a 2007 Camry, free of charge, for the 4 days they had my Cruiser. :bounce2:

They ordered mine by the VIN too. So they got the right tank in 4 days - that's good to hear. SO does anyone have pics of the top of the 60 tank or can describe what it looks like in the way of holes compared to the 62 tank?

Hey Ned,

Did they have, or foresee, any trouble doing the swap besides the mix up on the tank?

My local told me that the kit for the fuel lines is no longer in existance but they probally had lines that would work anyhow.

I'm debating whether or not to have this recall done. So far I can't find any issues with the tank.

I just called Toyota they said that my tank had not been replaced and they would order a new tank and change it out for free. nice, but..

I'm a little concerned about "fixing" something that's not broke- should i have any reservations about them swapping out the tank?? New tank sounds nice but not if it opens up a can of worms..

If I swap it out, I'm thinking i should have them change out the fuel line, anything else ?? just changed the filter..

Thoughts?

Wow.. way to resurrect an old post...

I would have it replaced...other then the dealer getting a tank for a 62 instead of my 60 the replacement went fine. Sold that 60 a few years back and it's still running around town just fine as ever. I'd say a new tank in a 20 something truck for free is a no brainer. I'd change the feul filter after the second tank of fuel though just in case you get a bunch of gunk in the lines after they swap.. good luck!!

I just called Toyota they said that my tank had not been replaced and they would order a new tank and change it out for free. nice, but..

I'm a little concerned about "fixing" something that's not broke- should i have any reservations about them swapping out the tank?? New tank sounds nice but not if it opens up a can of worms..

If I swap it out, I'm thinking i should have them change out the fuel line, anything else ?? just changed the filter..

Thoughts?

I had mine done at Performance Toyota on Winchester on my old 60. They broke the bolts on the straps but they got the new parts and fixed the straps also. No charge. They were not excited about doing it but they have too.

I had mine done at Performance Toyota on Winchester on my old 60. They broke the bolts on the straps but they got the new parts and fixed the straps also. No charge. They were not excited about doing it but they have too.

that's who i called today- i'm going to go ahead and let them swap it out. i hope it's been a while since you were there, if not i can hear them now.. F, here comes another one..

So was the recall tank change out free? Toyota South in Atlanta Mike the Senior Service Department guy told me it would still cost $1500. All while offering to purchase my ‘83 FJ60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom