DoUbLEr!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Someone needs to call advance adapter to prototype and build an adapter to install an atlas to our tranny’s and replace the 2.blah.

I would actually pay $2400 for an atlas 5.0 and $400 for an adapter for the 442 or 343.

Common let’s get a group together to have advance adapter build us an adapter.

@jcardona1 be our rep.

Someone needs to call advance adapter to prototype and build an adapter to install an atlas to our tranny’s and replace the 2.blah.

I would actually pay $2400 for an atlas 5.0 and $400 for an adapter for the 442 or 343.

@jcardona1 be our rep.
We will be waiting to hear back from you.

@jcardona1 be our rep.

You don't need a new adapter. Swap in a tail shaft and the tail housing from an AW4 auto from a Jeep XJ (same'ish Aisin transmission as the a343f, bolts right up) and bolt your Atlas right up with a $140 Novak adapter. EZPZ.

The rear driveline will be what? 8” shorter? That will increase its operating angle considerably. In order to run that DC shaft you just ordered, the pinion will need to be rotated up at a rather steep angle. Whether or not this will affect pinion bearing lubrication is my interest. Also, at this point the coil buckets will need to relocated so the coil is able to seat acceptably.

Yeah good point. I think I may go ahead and relocate the coil buckets while doing the DC shaft in the rear because it will only get worse. Should have just stayed with the non-DC shaft. Oh well.

Don't forget that a DC shaft with the stock rear diff isn't aligned laterally so it'll vibrate a lil' bit. Not a lot baby girl.

I'm a "pass" on this, I think. I can't imagine how much it would try to drive through my brakes in L, the complexity of installation is significant, more points of failure, I rarely even want a lower range now (and definitely don't need it), and it's not particularly necessary if you end up going with a v8 swap anyway. Plus, I don't want to hammer my gas tank to make it fit, build a new crossmember, start worrying about t-case outputs, build new driveshafts, for what will net out to like $4000.

NWF could have had a winner a long time ago but they screwed the pooch by not clearly outlining their roadmap (or adhering to their original one). Even if the product is great I'm disappointed with how little they seem to care. I can only anticipate customer service would be atrocious overall.

"complexity of installation is significant". Um, have you looked underneath your truck??

I could see that for your setup. You've built a lot of stuff underneath that would need to be changed. My indecisiveness of what to do with the rear suspension means most of it is still stock aside from the sway bar. But as crazy as you wheel your truck, I'm surprised you're not excited about a doubler. The one good thing about the Black Box is that if we ever do go with a GM engine & transmission, the Black Box will still work without having to get a different adapter, just need to swap out the front half of the Black Box case.

@jcardona1 be our rep.

I wouldn't mind that. I just want lower gearing in a relatively easy manner. But I imagine they wouldn't be interested. It's been hard enough to even get NWF to this point. You should send them an email :)

Is there pics of one mounted?

This is an FJ Cruiser with an Atlas, but you get the idea.

CQoxFrQ.jpg

"complexity of installation is significant". Um, have you looked underneath your truck??

I could see that for your setup. You've built a lot of stuff underneath that would need to be changed. My indecisiveness of what to do with the rear suspension means most of it is still stock aside from the sway bar. But as crazy as you wheel your truck, I'm surprised you're not excited about a doubler. The one good thing about the Black Box is that if we ever do go with a GM engine & transmission, the Black Box will still work without having to get a different adapter, just need to swap out the front half of the Black Box case.
Again - cv has lateral offset which will vibe a little. And you need to unbind your shock mounts too if youre going to run a cv.

I havent had any issues with my ability to crawl. Every now and then when everything is bound, i wind up the torque converter a little more than id like, but its always controlled. Id like one more lower gear in the trans (a750? 6l80? Etc) but dont need 270% lower.

I am hungering for horsepower these days and would prefer not having to keep the pedal floored to go 35mph on dirt roads and sand. After a cage, if I am intending on blowing more money, i think my next move is to put the 1fz out to pasture altogether. With a 6l80 having a 4.0x first gear, theres literally zero need for a low range beyond 3.1:1.

Again - cv has lateral offset which will vibe a little. And you need to unbind your shock mounts too if youre going to run a cv.

I havent had any issues with my ability to crawl. Every now and then when everything is bound, i wind up the torque converter a little more than id like, but its always controlled. Id like one more lower gear in the trans (a750? 6l80? Etc) but dont need 270% lower.

I am hungering for horsepower these days and would prefer not having to keep the pedal floored to go 35mph on dirt roads and sand. After a cage, if I am intending on blowing more money, i think my next move is to put the 1fz out to pasture altogether. With a 6l80 having a 4.0x first gear, theres literally zero need for a low range beyond 3.1:1.

Upper or lower shock mounts? I redid my lower shock mounts recently. I think that should work while leaving the stock upper mounts.

I hear you about the 300% reduction. Going that low would be rarely needed. I'm not looking to walk the crawler up Cadillac Hill like Marlin, I just want a bit more control.

Yeah good point. I think I may go ahead and relocate the coil buckets while doing the DC shaft in the rear because it will only get worse. Should have just stayed with the non-DC shaft. Oh well.

You have to remember @nukegoat has 6.1xx gears in his axle, so he is geared lower than most of us. He also ditched the LC axles and went with tons, so he's not afraid to put the throttle down. For others that haven't done this, I think lower gearing would be really beneficial because it let's you go up things slower, allowing you to not shockload your components. Different style of driving IMO. I'm still keeping my 8" axles together (knock on wood) on my 4runner running 39" stickies by making sure i avoid using too much skinny pedal. I'd be very interested if they release this, basically the lack of gearing is what pushed me out of the 80, I didn't want to deal with swapping axles, etc.

Upper or lower shock mounts? I redid my lower shock mounts recently. I think that should work while leaving the stock upper mounts.

I hear you about the 300% reduction. Going that low would be rarely needed. I'm not looking to walk the crawler up Cadillac Hill like Marlin, I just want a bit more control.

Lower mounts. If you rotate the pinion up you'll need to redo them again since their angle will be all wonky.

With a double and a manual transmission, you have a "kill" pedal with the clutch. With an auto, you have to shift into neutral with gears that low. That sort of sucks to me and negates any control advantages. Unless you run a higher stall torque converter, but I'm not into that.

You have to remember @nukegoat has 6.1xx gears in his axle, so he is geared lower than most of us. He also ditched the LC axles and went with tons, so he's not afraid to put the throttle down. For others that haven't done this, I think lower gearing would be really beneficial because it let's you go up things slower, allowing you to not shockload your components. Different style of driving IMO. I'm still keeping my 8" axles together (knock on wood) on my 4runner running 39" stickies by making sure i avoid using too much skinny pedal. I'd be very interested if they release this, basically the lack of gearing is what pushed me out of the 80, I didn't want to deal with swapping axles, etc.

I sort of disagree here. 5.29s with 37s vs 6.17s with 42s isn't much different. And while tons allows me to worry less about using momentum, with an auto, I doubt most of us are "shockloading" our components anyway - I know I don't shock the drivetrain much and, frankly, anyone who installs a doubler is going to be way more capable of breaking components.

I mean, really. 30 spline axles and 27 spline pinion shafts and teeny tiny hub studs with nearly 3x the torque in a 6500ish lb vehicle? No thanks.

Last edited:
im interested in this for more control on some of the steep, slick, winding down hill sections i find myself on frequently. i try to avoid them when i can but the guys i run with all have 10:1 atlas cases and just LOVE dropping down stupid trails and hills all slow and controlled and here i come behind them like a pinball bouncing off s*** lol. if i could get some more reduction for those situations, i would be super happy. added bonus would be more control crawling obstacles

From what I understand the stock trans output shafts are difficult to obtain so NWF is machining their own to spec..they had a run and didn’t quite like them, so they are making V2 of their own in house designed output shaft, rather than attempting to obtain and retro machine OEM shafts..more than okay waiting for a higher quality product vs. churning out a questionable product..I had some spare time and fashioned a spacer out of guano and aqua net that exactly matches the NWFBB measurements to have a look at the fittment.. this is with a A442F to a split case from a FJ62 in an 80 series..it appears that folding the tank seam provides plenty of clearance between the case and tank..depending on how one clocks the t case, it may be necessary to push the floorboard up in the exact area of the rear heater core‍♀️
035BD6D9-83E9-40D0-91E5-22B1FA75648D.jpeg
74EB8FCC-0866-433E-9378-5A224F4B2B90.jpeg
7905C583-52FD-47ED-8FC9-ED3C821B532B.jpeg

So...how 'bout that doubler? NWF supposedly made the Black Box that mates to the A343 and the 80 series transfer case. They say it's ready to go, 4-6 week lead time. I guess they just kept it to themselves? Fake news or have I been living under a rock this whole time?

1YMJihWl.jpg

d3Mxvf2l.jpg

Z8vDDfLl.jpg

hsUvsQJl.jpg

So, last time I looked into it, maybe a year or two ago they needed some components but "hadn't found a good enough fabricator" or something. From your snapshots it looks like they do have the adapters finally, but, Ill believe it when I see it. I have low enough gearing without a doubler or reduction box, but would be neat to see it finally happen.

Tor,
@torfab How much fluid did the doubler take...I though they had overheating issues at highway speed in the past due to low oil volume

Tor,
@torfab How much fluid did the doubler take...I though they had overheating issues at highway speed in the past due to low oil volume

I remember hearing the same, I think the issue may show itself at highway speeds under heavy load, it sounds like they were telling folks to run the oil through a pump and cooler... and maybe resevoir.

Whereas slow moving trail rigs things dont heat up in the same manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom