Fuel Injector Cleaning or replace with eBay rebuilds? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to pull my 97's fuel injectors as part of some other engine maintenance. You can read more about my plans here: Parts List for Upcoming Maintenance - Am I missing anything???

My intention has been to send them to RC Fuel Injector Cleaning down in California. It would cost about $170 including shipping and take 72 hours turn around.

And then I ran across this listing on eBay: SET of Six OEM Fuel Injectors, Lexus & Toyota 4.5L, 1993-97, 23209-74080 | eBay

Everything in the ad sounds great, but it's eBay. It says they've sold 17 sets. Has anybody on here bought from these guys? Thoughts? Opinions?

Why are you cleaning your injectors? I have done 3 sets and all 3 were averaging above 95% of stock performance. All 3 sets were from rigs with over 190,000 miles. My rig sees lots of fuel from small rural communities that don't really have modern stations, so I was concerned that my injectors would be compromised, but the weren't. No performance difference before/after the cleaning. Unless your rig is performing poorly, with all other tuning/maintenance options applied, I would not waste the $$$.

I was shocked when I did mine, right around 190k... all were just about perfect... piece of mind I guess?

You don't have a local drivability, tuning, fuel injection, type shop? The injector cleaner machine is not that rare or expensive and doesn't require a ton of skill to run. I prefer local, if something isn't right, can toss them on the counter, and discuss face to face.

Have had a bunch of them cleaned, other than ones that have set, like off the motor long term, or had electrical problems, the before/after difference has been very small. In other words, unless there was a miss, big running problem, the difference was negligible, undetectable. The factory injectors are very durable, reliable and our fuel is clean, so they don't have the problems of the past.

The engine purrs like a kitten, but I have a few other things to address and figured that after 20 years & 250k miles they would probably be worth looking at while I'm in there. Maybe not. I'll look into a local shop as well. My town is about 200k people, so speciality shops are hit and miss. Sometimes we have a great one, sometimes nothing at all. I noticed @John E Davies recommended these guys: Mr Injector They're closer & cheaper than RC, but would still require shipping.

I like to use stabil fuel stabilizer in my tanks of gas. It will slowly eat away at varnish and deposits all while preventing more from happening.

Any thoughts on the eBay rebuilt injectors?

Any thoughts on the eBay rebuilt injectors?

100% positive feedback and a star. I don't see a problem. I've been happy with the vast majority of eBay purchases I've made, and eBay's policies have tilted heavily in favor of the buyer over the years.

I'm still dubious that there would be a benefit, though.

100% positive feedback and a star. I don't see a problem. I've been happy with the vast majority of eBay purchases I've made, and eBay's policies have tilted heavily in favor of the buyer over the years.

I'm still dubious that there would be a benefit, though.

It may be that the only benefit is peace of mind. In other words, you may be right.

I've completed most of the baseline work, and this is the last major push. The engine purrs beautifully, but it takes a little longer to start up than I imagine it should, consumes oil (bad pcv & valve cover gasket), and gets sub 10 mpg.

It will be getting a new valve cover gasket and seals, pcv & hoses, plugs, wires, dizzy cap & rotor, fuel filter, etc. The injectors seem like a natural thing to check, especially with the ethanol that's so prevalent these days.

The engine purrs like a kitten, ...

So, you know the injectors in your rig work well, have likely never been stored off of the motor (where most damage like rust happens) and are willing to trade them for unknown cores? I almost always prefer known good, to most likely came from a junkyard cores, the only exception is if the cores that I have are known bad. This is one of the reasons that I prefer to work with a local shop, I want my injectors back, not some random ones out of the bin.

The local shop that we use does a good job, but part of their biz is sucking up injectors from local pick & pulls, referbing and selling them on the net, no thanks.

So, you know the injectors in your rig work well, have likely never been stored off of the motor (where most damage like rust happens) and are willing to trade them for unknown cores? I almost always prefer known good, to most likely came from a junkyard cores, the only exception is if the cores that I have are known bad. This is one of the reasons that I prefer to work with a local shop, I want my injectors back, not some random ones out of the bin.

The local shop that we use does a good job, but part of their biz is sucking up injectors from local pick & pulls, referbing and selling them on the net, no thanks.

I totally agree with your perspective. I've had the same thought about a rebuild of the original engine vs. swapping in a rebuilt, should the need ever arise. I looked for a local fuel injector service, but couldn't find one in my community. There's a guy about 180 miles away that I mentioned in an earlier post. That seems like the most local option.

I'm nearly convinced to leave them alone, at least for the time being. I can see some value in doing all of the other work now, and then evaluating whether it makes sense to pull the fuel rail at a later date.

If you're dead set that you have to do this, I'd recommend finding a diesel repair shop locally. They'll have the machine. Whether they know how to use it or not is another thing entirely. You really need to know what you expect to get and how you expect a shop to prove to you they've spent your money well. Otherwise, you can send the money to me ;)

If you're dead set that you have to do this, I'd recommend finding a diesel repair shop locally. They'll have the machine. Whether they know how to use it or not is another thing entirely. You really need to know what you expect to get and how you expect a shop to prove to you they've spent your money well. Otherwise, you can send the money to me ;)

Thanks. I have no interest in wasting money, but I also intend to have this truck for the long haul and want to keep it running well. We have plans to take some significant trips in it and I don't mind spending a little on PM. We do have a diesel shop in town. Maybe I'll contact them.

There is a thread on here somewhere, a usable search feature that doesn't require Google would be nice, that outlines a member's recent experience. He's posted the report of service, which includes OEM targets (from the FSM I think), before and after cleaning, and some other stuff I can't remember. I think it would be worth reviewing.

I completely understand your intentions, I share them. Just realize that there's a wealth of real, as opposed to imaginary, experience here, which backs up most of the advice. If you get a half dozen members who tell you they've done something you're considering and it didn't really make any measurable difference, it should mean something to you. Having said that, it's your truck and you're responsible for it.

If you do decide to have the injectors cleaned, please post your experience.

Dont get ebay injectors. Get the GB re manufactured injectors off rockauto.com for under $30 each. I have had great success with these. They are OEM injectors rebuilt in the USA.

Have you ever heard the old saying "if it's not broken, don't fix it" so I'd spend that mone
There is a thread on here somewhere, a usable search feature that doesn't require Google would be nice, that outlines a member's recent experience. He's posted the report of service, which includes OEM targets (from the FSM I think), before and after cleaning, and some other stuff I can't remember. I think it would be worth reviewing.

I completely understand your intentions, I share them. Just realize that there's a wealth of real, as opposed to imaginary, experience here, which backs up most of the advice. If you get a half dozen members who tell you they've done something you're considering and it didn't really make any measurable difference, it should mean something to you. Having said that, it's your truck and you're responsible for it.

If you do decide to have the injectors cleaned, please post your experience.

Thank you for your input. I agree there's a tremendous amount of valuable knowledge on here. One of the challenges is discerning whose advice to follow. I've read every thread I could find on the subject including the one you're referencing. Some people have reported a 1-2 mpg increase in fuel economy and others say no improvement in fuel economy, but an increase in power. I understand that the difference may not be noticeable, but I don't see how getting the originals cleaned would hurt. It seems like good maintenance at some point. If not at 20 years and 250k then when?

I've ruled out rebuilds from anywhere. If I do this I'll reuse my original injectors and I'll be sure to post about my experience.

Last edited:
I had my upper intake off and decided to pull the injectors and have them cleaned while I was in there. I took them to a local shop for $120. Most were within spec, a couple needed a little help. They are all spot on now. I’m still getting 11 mpg around town. It may be running a bit smoother or it could be the placebo effect. I’d do it again.

Be prepared for your injector wiring harness connectors to crack. Two of mine did and I replaced them with OEM.

Fuel injections is pretty common nowdays. Just about any performance/hot rod shop will be able to get the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom