SEARS Biting The Dust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I would start this thread as a place to gather general info on the topic of Sears Tools after they close up shop, any plans on hitting the sales if there are any ? have any news about warranty issues ? I've heard Black and Decker are taking over the Craftsman brand, if that's true I'd like to hear stories of sourcing OEM parts for power tools, or what the process is for simply replacing a broken socket, etc etc.

Ace Hardware sells Craftsman tools now.

Ace Hardware sells Craftsman tools now.

Thanks. Black and Decker seem to be the one's to go to for warranty but I'm still looking for an answer as to what that involves, last time I checked I didn't see any local B&D dealers kicking around.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/power-tools/cordless-tools/sb-d-buys-craftsman-brand-for-900m_o?amp;he=07c535aa93b42538e7726d8f90beea257f7d15f5&;utm_campaign=TOTT_011017+(1)&;utm_content=Article&;utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Here is the Craftsman warranty page (updated 06/2017): Warranty Information | Craftsman

Typically, the warranty is “To obtain the warranty coverage stated below, return the product to the retailer from which it was purchased.” The problem with this is having to maintain receipts and/or local stores going out of business or no longer carrying tools.

Most of my Craftsman tools were purchased thirty years ago (no receipts at this point) from the local Sears store. Anything that broke, it was Craftsman, so you took it back to Sears. Now Craftsman is sold at Sears, KMart, ACE, and online. Then our local Sears closed this year and now there is just a small Sears that does Appliances - no tools. So can I take my thirty year old broken ratchet to ACE (the closest option) without a receipt and they’ll replace it?

Here is the Craftsman warranty page (updated 06/2017): Warranty Information | Craftsman

Typically, the warranty is “To obtain the warranty coverage stated below, return the product to the retailer from which it was purchased.” The problem with this is having to maintain receipts and/or local stores going out of business or no longer carrying tools.

Most of my Craftsman tools were purchased thirty years ago (no receipts at this point) from the local Sears store. Anything that broke, it was Craftsman, so you took it back to Sears. Now Craftsman is sold at Sears, KMart, ACE, and online. Then our local Sears closed this year and now there is just a small Sears that does Appliances - no tools. So can I take my thirty year old broken ratchet to ACE (the closest option) without a receipt and they’ll replace it?

Thanks for that link, I'm in the same boat my Craftsman stuff is old, I doubt I have any receipts for them, I used to order the tool ahead of time then take the broken one in to swap, here in Canada I'm sure we don't have ACE, I'll probable try that phone number in your link and see what they say.

The local ACE is less than a mile away and I’m in there regularly enough that they recognize me. Next time I’m in, I’m going to ask for their opinion. Depending on how difficult warranty returns are on their end, it may not be a big deal. If Black & Decker makes THEM jump through hoops with warranties, you know they’ll make US jump through hoops too.

Having B&D buy Craftsman means you'll soon be seeing them in Wal-Mart. I have no interest in them anymore, if any of my craftsman tools break I'll just throw them away and buy something else. There's too many other better options out there now.

RIP Craftsman, it was a good run. :frown:

Having B&D buy Craftsman means you'll soon be seeing them in Wal-Mart. I have no interest in them anymore, if any of my craftsman tools break I'll just throw them away and buy something else. There's too many other better options out there now.

I agree. The quality of them has declined over the years since I first owned them (45 years). You can get Snap-on or other quality tools, second-hand on ebay for what Craftsman cost new.

Over the years, I’ve noticed that the pieces I’ve added to the original set - and pieces that replaced items in the original set - are the ones I’m replacing again and again… Definitely not the quality of decades ago.

The local ACE is less than a mile away and I’m in there regularly enough that they recognize me. Next time I’m in, I’m going to ask for their opinion. Depending on how difficult warranty returns are on their end, it may not be a big deal. If Black & Decker makes THEM jump through hoops with warranties, you know they’ll make US jump through hoops too.

That's a good plan, next time I'm in town I'll drop into the local Sears and see what they have to say about tool warranty, the little I've heard about recent sales is that the prices are not sale prices, big surprise.

Would be great if WM carried them I'm just looking for convenience, at least here in Canada we have a really decent option in the Mastercraft brand from Canadian Tire, I'm guessing the steel is a better grade on the wrenches they look exactly like the thin wall snap on style, the chunkier craftsman wrenches are at least twice as thick and sometimes won't fit into tight spots, the Mastercraft have the same great warranty.

I agree. The quality of them has declined over the years since I first owned them (45 years). You can get Snap-on or other quality tools, second-hand on ebay for what Craftsman cost new.

That's a good point, I can't say for sure if I have any Chinese stuff but I remember the last socket I picked up on warranty had the chrome peeling right from brand new, another great place for top brand tools at cheap prices are the pawn shops, always love finding snap on or mac for fifty cents or a buck ! :clap:

It's been a few years, but I've taken broken Craftsman ratchets into Home Depot and they've exchanged for their Husky brand. The Husky tools I have seem to survive well.

The Husky tools I have seem to survive well.
Husky and Kobalt. Home Depot and Lowes. No problems with either. And both stores are more prevalent than Sears stores are now.

I find the 'big' problem is with the quality of fasteners. Seems that the manufacturers (mostly from India), are a bit lax on tolerances.

I find the 'big' problem is with the quality of fasteners. Seems that the manufacturers (mostly from India), are a bit lax on tolerances.

I do bulk from MSC Direct for that stuff.

Craftsman will be at Lowe's throughout the US and Canada starting second half of 2018. Our SVP of merchandising just release a statement about an hour ago.

Last edited:
Craftsman will be at Lowe's thought the US and Canada starting second half of 2018. Our SVP of merchandising just release a statement about an hour ago.
Lowe's seems to have a lot of the Stanley Black and Decker products. I can see this as it increases purchasing power, and probably a good thing. May also lead to 'stealing' a few more customers from Home Depot.

Lowe's seems to have a lot of the Stanley Black and Decker products. I can see this as it increases purchasing power, and probably a good thing. May also lead to 'stealing' a few more customers from Home Depot.

Lowe's positioned themselves for this a while back. Our Kobalt hand tools are made in the same factory. For about a year we've gotten random Craftsman hand tools in our shipments on accident.

I can understand that Craftsman tools aren't "what they used to be" but I'm not sure that was ever a good business strategy as evidenced by Sears going out of business in the near future. The market demands a "good" quality for the DIYer and small contractor. Mechanics will still pay for Mac or Snap On, they have their niche. The average homeowner or contractor doesn't want to pay $25 for a single screwdriver. Even if it will last them their lifetime.

The market demands a "good" quality for the DIYer and small contractor. Mechanics will still pay for Mac or Snap On, they have their niche. The average homeowner or contractor doesn't want to pay $25 for a single screwdriver.
Yeah, I'd wince at the $25 screwdriver (unless if was power...). Pro's like Mac and Snap-On because they 'go to them', and from what I've heard they finance a lot of the larger purchases. I like the Kobalt tools that Lowe's offers, and prefer them to the Husky that Home Depot sells.

I'm really happy that SBD picked up the brand. Even more so that Lowe's is going to carry them. Hopefully, Lowe's will carry on the 'no questions asked' return policy. FWIW, the only Craftsman hand tool I've owned, that has ever broke, was because I mis-used it...

Stanley Black and Decker offers a lot of 'good stuff' IMHO. Our Brands

Love my Dewalt cordless and corded tools, and also my Bostitch air nailers. My Stanley hammers (claw and ball peen) are easily 40+ years old. They also have Mac tools under their banner. And if there ever was a high quality cabinet, Lista, also in their corporate family makes them. And who doesn't have a bunch of Irwin clamps and Vice-Grips lying around. Both SBD brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom