Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On the 80 had to replace my visible links in the Bed Bath and Beyond parking lot.

Before
20171013_121546.jpg

After
20171013_124945.jpg

On the hundred the idler pulley was on its way out so replaced that and put on a new belt. We also decided to raise our air intake for some cleaner cooler air.

IMG_20171014_170536_008.jpg

Thanks to 1972FJ55 for helping me Sunday morning get my PS steering knuckle arm back onto my steering knuckle, with new studs/washers/nuts. Successfully drilled and ez-outed sheared-off stud, replaced with four new from Wits End. Still need to do a complete birf-job and replace deformed oil seal end retainer but at least I'm mobile again.

Got the new-to-me 315s and 80 series wheels on the 4Runner. Thanks to LCPhil and Murf!

22528422_10214875806395427_7131718419426459769_n_zpsz3gjak1t.jpg

22405928_10214875806035418_6569523518628970503_n_zpsmom9dsxn.jpg

Marc, your "little" 4Runner has certainly evolved over the years with many great mods. Cant wait to see how she performs out on the trail!

:cheers:

Marc, your "little" 4Runner has certainly evolved over the years with many great mods. Cant wait to see how she performs out on the trail!

:cheers:

The tire and wheel combo looks like it was made for your set up!

Thanks!

I had to add those little 1/4" spacers to the rear since the tires were rubbing on the bolts that hold the spring pack straps together. Not really excited about that. Also under articulation the rear tires may rub the upper bumpstops. Those wheels don't look it, but the negative offset is not what I expected. Oh, and under full lock the tires rub the springs a little. Bolt-on spacers/adapters (those billet ones) are probably in the future. Not concerned about those, ran a set of 1.5" ones on the 40 with 35s for years with zero issues.

Still worth it. How many other 1st gen 4Runners/trucks have 80 series wheels?

I can now confirm, in case it hasn't been before. That a 255/85/16 fits in the spare area of a LC 100 without any issues.

wy1CbH

ywDTFOv.jpg

20qgDTj.jpg

Nice! I'm a big fan of the 255s.. How are they on the 100?

I like them quite a bit. The steering is considerably less heavy and the throttle response seems better and confirmed by wife. I had 285/75 so i'm shrinking the foot print by an inch + on each tire, according to online tire specs, but it's easy to eyeball the difference.

You get a bit of true clearance but it's probably negligible, however getting in and out it seems higher enough to notice. Also I do not think they look goofy as some folks do.

Not so much what I did to my Land Cruiser this week but more like what Murf and the team at CBT did. Thanks again for installing the Slee Old Man Emu 2.5" with UCA's.

IMG_3279.JPG
IMG_3277.JPG

Got the new-to-me 315s and 80 series wheels on the 4Runner. Thanks to LCPhil and Murf!

22528422_10214875806395427_7131718419426459769_n_zpsz3gjak1t.jpg

22405928_10214875806035418_6569523518628970503_n_zpsmom9dsxn.jpg

I must resist SAS on my 4Runner.

:lol:

The SAS 4 Runner would be the off-road vehicle in this scenario.

Just commenting on the club standard use to be a white 80 series a few years back. The idea of telling someone to sell a 80 was unheard of. Never having a 22RE not sure what kind of power it has to push a first gen. 4Runner on tall/wide tires down the highway? One of the main reason for going five speed in a FJ40 is to be able to run down the highway to the trailhead and then be able to wheel in my favorite vehicle. Also probably stick with 31X10.50X15s. being that I spend most my time in 40/55 section most there will say factory power steering is not strong enough for tires much larger than that. Toyota over built the FJ40 but that was in stock form. Start modifying and that changes everything. I know the 79-85 mini truck/4Runner power steering is the same as a FJ40 except for the housing. What later eighties mini truck/4Runner had not sure but guessing not as strong as a 80 series because they are a smaller/lighter vehicle.

Just commenting on the club standard use to be a white 80 series a few years back. The idea of telling someone to sell a 80 was unheard of. Never having a 22RE not sure what kind of power it has to push a first gen. 4Runner on tall/wide tires down the highway? One of the main reason for going five speed in a FJ40 is to be able to run down the highway to the trailhead and then be able to wheel in my favorite vehicle. Also probably stick with 31X10.50X15s. being that I spend most my time in 40/55 section most there will say factory power steering is not strong enough for tires much larger than that. Toyota over built the FJ40 but that was in stock form. Start modifying and that changes everything. I know the 79-85 mini truck/4Runner power steering is the same as a FJ40 except for the housing. What later eighties mini truck/4Runner had not sure but guessing not as strong as a 80 series because they are a smaller/lighter vehicle.

My comments had nothing to do with club standard. It was purely because I talked to @GeoRoss at Tucson Meet and I knew what he would buy if he had to do it again.

I am running 1994 4Runner power steering box in my 1985 mini truck with 285/75R16 tires. No problem in cruising the highway and making turns so far.

:lol:

@medtro, @Living in the Past, @msahr

Jackson and I had a conversation down in Tucson awhile back. For what sort of trails I run now, a 100 series would be better. Thinking back on it though, the 80 was better for a lot of the geology work I’ve done, so there is that. It has saved me a lot of hiking miles. No regrets, I just sometimes wish I had a bit more power on the highway. I solve that with the shifter. It’s built and it’s job in the family is safe.

I got the 4Runner as a daily driver/mid life crisis project. I almost bought one new in 1988 but chickened out. I’m sure that dealership is still pissed at me. I’m slowly working on making it look nice. Hopefully as good looking as Marc’s. The 22re is a great engine. Great around town and the flats, but a bit anemic in the mountains. Mine only has 128K on it, but can be tweaked for better performance. This is the first IFS truck I’ve done suspension work on. The the original plan was a mild build. I’m ignorant and didn’t know or understand the trade offs of lifting an IFS truck. I replaced the sagging rear springs with the medium OME and then removed the bottom overload spring. It has a pretty noticeable stinkbug. It bugs me a little. When I see a 4Runner like Marc’s I drool. Thoughts of SAS and engine swaps start percolating. I then sober up. I then start thinking of how I need to find a way to get rid of 1/2”-1” of stink bug, spacers or just cranking the stock torsion bars. :meh: no rush.

The best part is that I have two trucks now. Wrenching is a joy, not a weekend speed test. The 80 has been getting most of the love lately. The list does seem to grow with ideas of tweaking this and that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom