Builds Mike's disaster of a landcruiser project, 1992 "big red" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was it @Qball and maybe @LandCruiserPhil that used the stuff?

I'd sure as sh!t try it and see what happens.

I used it and still working after 3 years and 30k miles(including wheeling And towing 12ft trailer 400 miles in 100 plus degree heat), if I have to HG job I am tempted to just do a LS swap. It's holding on fine so my LS swap is indefinitely delayed.

Last edited:
The Toyota 4.8 2UZ-FE is an expensive motor not to mention the transmission. The Toyota vehicles with the 4.8 don't make it to the junk yards nearly as fast as the Chevy's with 5.3s do. Toyota's incredible resale value also affects this, people hang on to Toyotas. Even at 300,000 miles, they still have value when most other brands are not worth their weight in scrap. This makes the 5.3 abundantly available and cheap.

The 5.3 is great motor, plenty of cheap parts everywhere. Easy to make power. Advanced Adapters already makes the kit to mate the 4L60E to the t-case. Stand alone ecu and on and on and on. Plus if you ever blow the head gasket on a 5.3, you just go get another for 600 bucks!!

The Toyota 4.8 2UZ-FE is an expensive motor not to mention the transmission. The Toyota vehicles with the 4.8 don't make it to the junk yards nearly as fast as the Chevy's with 5.3s do. Toyota's incredible resale value also affects this, people hang on to Toyotas. Even at 300,000 miles, they still have value when most other brands are not worth their weight in scrap. This makes the 5.3 abundantly available and cheap.

The 5.3 is great motor, plenty of cheap parts everywhere. Easy to make power. Advanced Adapters already makes the kit to mate the 4L60E to the t-case. Stand alone ecu and on and on and on. Plus if you ever blow the head gasket on a 5.3, you just go get another for 600 bucks!!

FYI - For a couple year GM offered a 4L60 non E model where no ECU is required making things a little bit easier and less $$$.

@LandCruiserPhil would NEVER add any stop anything to his junk or suggest it to anyone. You have a problem fix it dont patch it.

FWIW I PM'd my HG at 150K:flipoff2:

Such a maintenance snob! :princess:

I used it and still working after 3 years and 30k miles(inducing wheeling And towing 12ft trailer 400 miles in 100 plus degree heat), if I have to HG job I am tempted to just do a LS swap. It's holding on fine so my LS swap is indefinitely delayed.

I knew it!

I'd totally pour some of that stuff in and see what happens! Nothing to lose!

I would have dumped that stuff in there and ran it to see what happens, but the original radiator was cracked in multiple places and has since been thrown away, and then I'd have to put the rest of the engine back together. I wish I had known about it when I first got the truck home! If nothing else it would have been entertaining to see what would happen and how long it could go for. But that ship has sailed at this point, so sorry to disappoint.

In other news there's a place in CA with 4-5 3F-E motors that are all $800 but have no miles listed so I might inquire. I am also looking into chevy V8 swaps but I'm leaning towards sticking with a 3F-E because I really like inline 6 motors. I am aware of the low power and terrible MPG though...

Chevy swaps are so passé.

:meh:

I would have dumped that stuff in there and ran it to see what happens, but the original radiator was cracked in multiple places and has since been thrown away, and then I'd have to put the rest of the engine back together. I wish I had known about it when I first got the truck home! If nothing else it would have been entertaining to see what would happen and how long it could go for. But that ship has sailed at this point, so sorry to disappoint.

In other news there's a place in CA with 4-5 3F-E motors that are all $800 but have no miles listed so I might inquire. I am also looking into chevy V8 swaps but I'm leaning towards sticking with a 3F-E because I really like inline 6 motors. I am aware of the low power and terrible MPG though...

Actually you have to replace the radiator anyways so just do that, out water in the system and run/idle the engine with bar's stuff in it and see what happens. Quickest way to get thing moving and buy you time. Even with a Chevy swap it will take time and still need a radiator.

I think the chevy swap is a fundamentally good idea for many reasons. I'm gonna look into a 5.3 swap and try to realistically price it out and figure out what exactly, if anything, has to be fabricated. I can fabricate parts if I have to, or have them made. I'm wondering about the ECU situation and engine wiring, I don't know how well documented this is. How hard is it to supercharge one?

On the other hand apparently it would be really easy to turbocharge a 3F-E with 6-7PSI of boost and no major issues besides having to fabricate a manifold and heat shield. There was a guy on this forum that did it by adding 2 fuel injectors and using a vacuum operated fuel pressure regulator that adds more fuel independently of the ECU as the boost increases. That's tempting especially if the reliability remains near stock. If I went that route then I could find a solid used motor and fix the rest of the truck, then turbocharge it at some point since I will probably want more torque. In my mind this is "cooler" than a chevy v8 even though it is probably less powerful. All Japanese and a Nardi wood steering wheel?

Last edited:
86436FDE-65EA-49B0-A664-68DF2FD380C1.png
So much BMW love in this thread, I figure I should share too. Here’s my baby....

444hp, torque to match and RWD is a handful in the snow even with snow tires. Have a feeling the LC will be much more user friendly to drive in the white stuff. I’m not shoveling s*** this winter just driving over it.

My tired 3FE runs circles around my tired 1FZ-FE!

To the OP: the 3FE is tourqey.
"Said the guy with a 3FE in a 1992............" (and likes the slowness of it....)

What part of WA do you live in?

View attachment 1558800 So much BMW love in this thread, I figure I should share too. Here’s my baby....

444hp, torque to match and RWD is a handful in the snow even with snow tires. Have a feeling the LC will be much more user friendly to drive in the white stuff. I’m not shoveling s*** this winter just driving over it.

That’s a good looking sedan. The 4wd and weight of the landcruiser will definitely be nice in the snow. Wish I could drive mine instead of the M this winter.

Hmmm, I might have a deal for you. I have an FJ62 that was in a roll over, the motor in it came from an 80 series. I built the frame up with anH55 5 speed, JDM frame, ARB's, Longfields etc... Hit black ice a couple of years ago and flipped it on it's lid. I'm just about finished parting the truck out, don't have a use for the motor so I was going to leave it for the scrap heap, not to mention I have another FJ62 that was in a roll over due to black ice (talk about bad luck). I have full confidence there is nothing wrong with the motor, I'd pull the plugs to make sure there is no oil in the cylinders, though I'd bet they would have drained down by now. I'm in the Okanagan Valley in BC. Canada never got 80 series other than LX450's which are quite rare, and even fewer 62's so not much demand for used. I'm keeping the other 62 driveline, heck the transmission still shifts perfectly, not that I have a LC to put it in. I've moved on to a '96 80 series, though I am negotiating on an '86 HJ60, but it's a 24v diesel, no gasser in it's future :) Just need to find a way to get it to you

Update:

1.) Sounds like I will be able to get Granite Grinder's old engine! It might be a bit before we get that sorted out though. I'm going to wait until the old engine is out and the new engine is present before I order too many parts since then I will have a clearer idea what I need. I am still researching some parts.

2.) Acquired this from a co worker, need to clean it up still. Yes, it is GOLD PLATED (and of course someone decided to spraypaint it).

24059101688_5d00e0a178_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom