LX570 technical Wiki? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All-

I'm considering a 200 series LC or LX 570, however I need to learn more about the platform on a technical level.

Has anyone found a Wiki or website dedicated to the cause? For example, I'd like to learn more about the AHC system on the LX. I've read conflicting information about how it operates (is it entirely airbag, or hydraulic?). I also haven't been able to figure out what a stock LX's approach angle is, in high mode.

Thanks all!

This is super helpful, thank you.

Here's my position: Within reason, I want the most OEM capability and keep "mandatory mods" to a minimum. For example: GX470 (sans running boards) has pretty good angles. GX460 is ok, post face lift is awful. I'm basically forced to buy a bumper if I want to go offroad. To a certain extent the same is true of the LC. Angles aren't great, but not awful. There is a ton of aftermarket support, so suspension would do the trick. At a place. the 13-15 LX looks promising. Reasonable angles, variable suspension improves those angles. Delete running boards and add proper tires: Winning. Of course one day I could consider ton of upgrades - but in the short term my requirements are modest.

Thanks again, LX is looking good.

This is super helpful, thank you.

Here's my position: Within reason, I want the most OEM capability and keep "mandatory mods" to a minimum. For example: GX470 (sans running boards) has pretty good angles. GX460 is ok, post face lift is awful. I'm basically forced to buy a bumper if I want to go offroad. To a certain extent the same is true of the LC. Angles aren't great, but not awful. There is a ton of aftermarket support, so suspension would do the trick. At a place. the 13-15 LX looks promising. Reasonable angles, variable suspension improves those angles. Delete running boards and add proper tires: Winning. Of course one day I could consider ton of upgrades - but in the short term my requirements are modest.

Thanks again, LX is looking good.

As a note, you'll want LC rocker guards if you remove the LX running boards/rockers as it's all once piece in the LX and separate in the LC

Hi All-

I'm considering a 200 series LC or LX 570, however I need to learn more about the platform on a technical level.

Has anyone found a Wiki or website dedicated to the cause? For example, I'd like to learn more about the AHC system on the LX. I've read conflicting information about how it operates (is it entirely airbag, or hydraulic?). I also haven't been able to figure out what a stock LX's approach angle is, in high mode.

Thanks all!

I can’t imagine a better “technical wiki” than MUD. Start in the FAQs and then run some searches on the forum for specifics.

200-series FAQ

Here’s the specs on a ‘15 LX, found with a quick Google search.

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/lexus+2015+lx+570+product+specs.download

Great, thanks again.

Is there a year-by-year LX feature matrix with details about the differences between MY and minor changes?

THANK YOU!

Interesting that the same engine code requires 91 vs 87 octane. I'm guessing the ECU tuning is different?

Given that the primary real world difference (in my eyes, anyhow) is the AHC, the LC is still worth considering. 300lb lighter, uses less expensive fuel, otherwise largely similar options-wise.

The 91 vs 87 thing is well documented (and debated) here. It’s all Lexus marketing. It even says in the owners manual that 87 is fine. And in my experience, it’s fine to run 87, no performance difference.

Options wise, I would consider them different. These may or may not be important to you:
  • Real wood trim
  • Different windshield that reduces noise
  • Door windows are double thick
  • More sound deadening (just look at the headliner) and weather stripping
  • Standard front camera (Didn't come on LC until 2013)
  • Power and heated second row seat
  • Mark Levinson sound
  • Some models have power 3rd row
  • Soft open rear tailgate
  • Different leather for seats
  • Active front lighting system (steers and levels)
Although worth noting, depending on where you live and what model year you want, there will likely be more Lexus inventory.

I really wanted an LC, but the nearest one I could even look at was in Montana (I'm in WA). I'm not a hardcore wheeler so the LX made a lot of sense for me.

The 91 vs 87 thing is well documented (and debated) here. It’s all Lexus marketing. It even says in the owners manual that 87 is fine. And in my experience, it’s fine to run 87, no performance difference.

I would not agree that it's marketing as there are formal documented output differences from Lexus (+2hp peak, but also know it's higher power across the whole powerband). Without debating too much in this specific thread, the discussion is here - 87 vs 91 Octane: LC vs LX570

The manual does offer that 87 is fine on occasion, but also clearly states "Premium unleaded gasoline only", and the consequence of using lesser octane fuel. Key to note is "under heavy load". Nominal use day to day may generally never see heavy load, which leads to speculation that it might be fine to run 87. But it's probably good to note for heavily built/laden/towing vehicles.
It seems pretty clear cut from the manual what's best for the LX.

Per Lexus LX 570 instruction manual, p 684.

"Premium unleaded gasoline only"
"91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher"

Then we have another gasoline tidbit on page 692:

"If 91 Octane cannot be obtained, you may use unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating as low as 87 (research octane number 91). However, use of unleaded fuel with an octane rating lower than 91 may result in engine knocking or drastically reduce output to protect itself while driving a heavy load. Persistent knocking can lead to engine damage and should be corrected by refueling with higher octane unleaded gasoline."

Also, on page 692, it says:
"Premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating 91 or higher required for optimum performance."

Last edited:
For example, I'd like to learn more about the AHC system on the LX. I've read conflicting information about how it operates (is it entirely airbag, or hydraulic?). I also haven't been able to figure out what a stock LX's approach angle is, in high mode.

I've posted extensively on AHC. But it's sprinkled throughout many different convoluted threads. Here's some tidbits that you might find informative:

80 series guy needs advice on 200 series vs. LX 570
It's useful to understand that AHC architecturally is not an airbag suspension system, but a hydraulic based system with remote dampening and spring (suspension) globes. With the front having multiple globes to implement multiple spring rates, to handle aggressive cornering or braking. Each wheel is also intertwined and linked in a fashion that allows for body control (aka posture control), in a way that no independent damper based system will mimic.

In regards to compression and extension lengths - it's the same travel as the LC, with the same droop and compression capacities depending on ride height. If an LC is modified with extended length shocks and long travel control arms, it can have the advantage for things like baja running where travel is king. To your point about lacking droop or compression travel, the great things about AHC is that you don't have to choose a compromise. Dynamic height selection allows one to choose max height for traversing obstacles, or a height that allows for good handling. Also, a high static lift is NOT a good height for high speed handling as suspension geometries in that range are... sloppy.

Sure thing. Examples of those to have modified AHC on the LX570 are still more rare. As the popular assumption on the 200-series forum is its for soft-roaders and a hindrance. Overtime, as more examples and understanding in the system grows, you'll see more hardcore owners that are willing to modify stuff, also modify the LX570 (as it has for LX470s)

The general principle between the LX470 and LX570 are the same. Sensor lift to desired height (up to 1.25" just moving an adjuster, or lots more with a combination zeroing of AHC and/or modified sensor brackets). Then spring spacers to increase carrying capacity, especially for higher lifts, or replacement springs or even air bags for more spring rate.

LX570:
LX570 AHC height modifications (lift it!)

LX470:
2-2.5" AHC Lift Using King Coils & Shock Spacers
AHC Sensor Adjustment for Lift
Will the AHC on a 470 compete with a 2.5" OME lift?
I LOVE my AHC.

AHC1.JPG

AHC2.JPG

AHC3.JPG

The biggest dream upgrade I would like right now is the weight capacity. Some have discussed the option of installing beefier springs or even going towards the option of purchasing the armored AHC setup. The latter is WAY too costly and the former has zilch in the way of application.

I've added additional load capacity to mine since I tow a heavy travel trailer - LX570 Augmenting for Load

There's many spacer options for the rear, 10, 15, 20, 30. I choose a 10mm spacer. Works transparently even unloaded.

I've been up to 1800lb+ payload on my setup without any issue with AHC. Able to get into H position even at that load.

There's no readily identified front spring spacer yet. It's very likely some existing generic spacer can work. There's coil isolaters (sumosprings) that could be added to incrementally increase spring rate. They wouldn't be a permanent solution that may need to be changed out every few years, but at 30 minutes to install, would work to increase spring rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom