Front Axle Click While Turning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1993 Stock 278K No Locker. I am looking for expert advice on clicking noise in front axle while turning please. Slight vibration after tire balance. Goes down the highway fine at 80MPH. I've been told front axle overhaul with gasket kit, Front Diff Trunion Rebuild, not sure if this is the same job? Also, that axles may be difficult to remove and can be bent in the process. I am not a mechanic but I would like to understand where and why this noise is coming from and if I am looking at catastrophic failure if I continue to drive it. I need to replace front brake pads and it seems like I should have this all done at once. Price for this job and shop recommendations greatly appreciated( Colorado Front Range, Boulder-Denver ). THANK YOU!

New birfs most likely. You can swap them and buy some time.

Define "noise" how loud? Do the knuckles have grease, should be 1/2-3/4 full with moly grease. If the birf isn't lubed, will make noise, depending on how long it's been run that way, will ruin the birf.

Define "noise" how loud? Do the knuckles have grease, should be 1/2-3/4 full with moly grease. If the birf isn't lubed, will make noise, depending on how long it's been run that way, will ruin the birf.
Not that loud. Sometimes I don't hear it at all. It's got at least 50K since noise. I am not a mechanic, can the knuckles be greased without taking it apart? Thank You for your help and patience with my lack of knowledge in this area.

Mine was just loose hub bearings.

Not that loud. Sometimes I don't hear it at all. It's got at least 50K since noise. I am not a mechanic, can the knuckles be greased without taking it apart? Thank You for your help and patience with my lack of knowledge in this area.

Yes - there is a plug on the top of each knuckle, front side. Clean the area, remove the plug, pump in the grease of your choice, replace plug. I wouldn't go crazy pumping grease in.

To answer your original question, no the trunnion rebuild is not the axle service. Those are just the upper and lower bearings (they're the same) on the knuckle casting. What you want to learn about is the CV (or Birfield) joint. This is what it looks like, in cross section:

Annotated_birfield_diagram.jpg

In this diagram, the road wheel is on the right. The Birfield in the part with the large ball bearings. When they either lose lubrication (lack of grease, it leaks out) or wear, they (the balls) bounce around inside the cages. That's the clicking noise you hear.

The knuckle is supposed to be 3/4 full of grease. The type (red or green) is up to you; Mr. T only recommends molybdenum disulfide NGLI Type 2. Anything that has that in the description is OK.

Last edited:
If a person can bend one of these axle shafts while doing a rebuild they are doing something seriously wrong, they tough as hell, check grease first in the knuckles,then check free play in wheel bearings then check free play in diff yoke. It's pretty straight forward stuff I mean the japanese build these things with the same mechanical knowledge as the rest of world uses just better ha

To answer you original question, no the trunnion rebuild is not the axle service. Those are just the upper and lower bearings (they're the same) on the knuckle casting. What you want to learn about is the CV (or Birfield) joint. This is what it looks like, in cross section:

View attachment 1558120
In this diagram, the road wheel is on the right. The Birfield in the part with the large ball bearings. When they either lose lubrication (lack of grease, it leaks out) or wear, they (the balls) bounce around inside the cages. That's the clicking noise you hear.

The knuckle is supposed to be 3/4 full of grease. The type (red or green) is up to you; Mr. T only recommends molybdenum disulfide NGLI Type 2. Anything that has that in the description is OK.
THANK YOU! This is what I needed to look at. Where is this picture available? I would like to print it.

The first, best thing to do is grease the knuckle. There are two seals, one felt and one rubber, on the back side of the knuckle. As you rotate the knuckle thought its limits, the seals (actually wipers) clean the outer knuckle ball so that the internal grease doesn't become (too) contaminated.

If, after greasing the knuckle, you still have clicking problems (should only occur when you're turning the steering wheel), you'll need to consider replacing the outer driveshaft, at least.

The overhaul usually includes the seal set mentioned earlier, and
the trunnion bearings,
the inner and outer wheel bearings (they support the wheel spindle and outer driveshaft),
axle housing seal,
spindle bushing and seal,
and if they're damaged, the drive flange and cone washers.

Here's the video, if you're that kind of guy:

I wouldn't do everything his way, the FSM is better on all but one point: the PVC pipe is way better that the vise and brass drift for separating the inner/outer driveshafts. He's not wrong, he's just used to working on everybody's trucks/cars and treats them all the same. Typical for a for-hire garage.

The first, best thing to do is grease the knuckle. There are two seals, one felt and one rubber, on the back side of the knuckle. As you rotate the knuckle thought its limits, the seals (actually wipers) clean the outer knuckle ball so that the internal grease doesn't become (too) contaminated.

If, after greasing the knuckle, you still have clicking problems (should only occur when you're turning the steering wheel), you'll need to consider replacing the outer driveshaft, at least.

The overhaul usually includes the seal set mentioned earlier, and
the trunnion bearings,
the inner and outer wheel bearings (they support the wheel spindle and outer driveshaft),
axle housing seal,
spindle bushing and seal,
and if they're damaged, the drive flange and cone washers.

Where do I add grease to knuckle? Is it the bolt in the above diagram that "upper trunuin" is pointed at?

No, it's not. There's a pipe plug on the upper front surface of both knuckles. That's the one you want to remove to add grease.

This is the driver's side knuckle:
upload_2017-10-19_15-57-10.png

It's the plug at about 11:00 o'clock, as you look at the wheel from the outside.

Oh, and not that it matters to the spin of the planet or anything, but the diagram has a typo; it's "trunnion", not "trunion". That's kind of like a triple onion, or something...

Joey won't like me for this, but...
upload_2017-10-19_15-59-13.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom