Sankei 555, what's the veredict ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My LC has 320,000Km (200K miles) and there is some minor play on both ITREs and one LBJ. I think it's time for an ovehaul, and I am considering replacing upper & lower BJ, ITREs and OTREs. Wheel bearings look and feel fine, I think they are the factory ones (TIMKEN).

The consensus for 555 parts seems to be good among the 100 community, but it doesn't seem to be the same for the 4Runner guys, who claim that the 555 LBJ is just like any cheap chinese replacement and won't last.

So far, I've read that the only bad thing about 555 steering/suspension parts for the 100 is that they rust easily, which can be fixed with some paint. Anyway, I will appreciate any experienced posters to jump in and help me decide.

Just my input:
I know the 3rd gen 4runnres have a bad LCA ball joint design. Many use MOOG parts/raybestos etc., All these are 555 and they fail in 15K to 20K miles. OEM lasts 10 times or more.

Tag. I have a set of 555 LBJ's but have been dragging my feet on the install since I'm not sure if I really want to go that route instead of just going OEM LCA's.

I have about 35k miles on my 555 LBJ and they are fine so far. Been running 35’s all that time too. Top surface of ball joint is rusty from early on.

Just my input:
I know the 3rd gen 4runnres have a bad LCA ball joint design. Many use MOOG parts/raybestos etc., All these are 555 and they fail in 15K to 20K miles. OEM lasts 10 times or more.

Yes. I had a 1997 4Runner (in my country, it was maketed as Hilux SW4) with the 1KZ-T turbo diesel engine. The whole LCA design sucks because all the weight of the vehicle hangs from the LBJ stem (traction effort), and this effort becomes even larger when hitting bumps or large rocks. So there is a huge force constantly trying to pop out the LBJ. However, the genuine LBJ lasts for hundreds of thousand miles, and it's one hell of a tough vehicle. But, LBJs should be replaced as soon as any minor play is detected to avoid catastrophic failure.

In the other hand, the 100 is designed the oposite way (compression effort), so it is quite unlikely for the ball to pop out, because the only traction effort comes from the small (in comparison) weight of the wheel-hub assembly only when the tire is off the ground. The LBJ will accept large amounts of play without catastrophic risk, as most of the wear will take place in the opposite (enclosed) end. it's a safer design, and less demanding in terms of quality.

Yes. I had a 1997 4Runner (in my country, it was maketed as Hilux SW4) with the 1KZ-T turbo diesel engine. The whole LCA design sucks because all the weight of the vehicle hangs from the LBJ stem (traction effort), and this effort becomes even larger when hitting bumps or large rocks. So there is a huge force constantly trying to pop out the LBJ. However, the genuine LBJ lasts for hundreds of thousand miles, and it's one hell of a tough vehicle. But, LBJs should be replaced as soon as any minor play is detected to avoid catastrophic failure.

In the other hand, the 100 is designed the oposite way (compression effort), so it is quite unlikely for the ball to pop out, because the only traction effort comes from the small (in comparison) weight of the wheel-hub assembly only when the tire is off the ground. The LBJ will accept large amounts of play without catastrophic risk, as most of the wear will take place in the opposite (enclosed) end. it's a safer design, and less demanding in terms of quality.

Great explanation, thanks!

Says right on the top, 555. I replaced my upper and lower last fall with 555, they've been awesome. Other than the super minor disappointment that the top metal isn't sealed somehow and you need to hit them with a quick shot of paint, they're great. Thousands of folks in the LC community have been using 555 joints for TRE's, ball joints, etc. with no issues. Hit up @cruiseroutfit, he can tell you about the quality.

Says right on the top, 555. I replaced my upper and lower last fall with 555, they've been awesome. Other than the super minor disappointment that the top metal isn't sealed somehow and you need to hit them with a quick shot of paint, they're great. Thousands of folks in the LC community have been using 555 joints for TRE's, ball joints, etc. with no issues. Hit up @cruiseroutfit, he can tell you about the quality.

Genuine 555 joints are a fantastic replacement option. We've sold tens of thousands of their parts form applications ranging from rock-crawlers to desert racers and trucks driving around the globe. I've had them on my personal 100 for 40-45k now. We stock individual joints and full kits just for the 100/LX470 too

IMG_2884.JPG

More here:
YWST: Japanese Upper & Lower Ball Joints - LC100 & LX470

We also have inner/outer tie rods and kits for the 100/LX470 too:

YWST: Loose TRE's for your 4x/5x/6x/7x/8x & 100 Series

IMG_2886.JPG

The LBJ on the 100 is under large loads as the torsion bar (spring supporting the truck) acts at the lower A-Arm inboard mount so all of the spring force does get transferred through the LBJ. That is why the LBJ on these trucks is so large.

It seems that everyone who's used the 555 on the 100 series has been happy with them after install from what I've heard.

I've never seen Sankei 555 branded boxes before, always reboxed in another brand's box. Didn't even know they had their own branded boxes, pretty cool.

I trust them, Japan OEM like stated. Have used their steering products on every one of my Toyotas that's needed replacement parts - BJs and TREs mostly.

The LBJ on the 100 is under large loads as the torsion bar (spring supporting the truck) acts at the lower A-Arm inboard mount so all of the spring force does get transferred through the LBJ. That is why the LBJ on these trucks is so large.

The action of the elastic element to keep the same vehicle at the same height with the same dynamic behaviour, whether a spring or a bar, would result in the same force decomposition over the LBJ.
So, spring or bar, they're about the same.
I would better say that the size of the LBJ is more related to both the weight of the truck and a good safety margin applied to its design.

It seems that everyone who's used the 555 on the 100 series has been happy with them after install from what I've heard.

Yes the Sankei 555 ball joints are very good. Never have any complaint from any of my customers either. =)

Well I guess I will go the 555 route. Thank you guys !

PS: Here we have a local distributor of SAFETY BRAND parts. The box says MADE IN JAPAN, but they are dirt cheap, and i think that the only thing made in japan is the box, because their suspension parts suck. Their website: Steering and Suspension Parts for Automobiles. SAFETY CO.,LTD. OSAKA JAPAN
SO, MY ADVICE IS STAY AWAY.

I've never seen Sankei 555 branded boxes before, always reboxed in another brand's box. Didn't even know they had their own branded boxes, pretty cool.

Got mine from Napa for just under $50 and they came in the same boxes pictured above.

Got mine from Napa for just under $50 and they came in the same boxes pictured above.

Probably the same ones I bought. Altrom SB-3812

1473289387521-154283226-jpg.1318368

Also, see this thread for my LBJ replacement documentation.

CV axle reboot help

Just got off the phone with my friendly @cruiseroutfit rep and ordered a LCA ball joint. Squeaks I developed at HIH8 soon to be gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom