Builds My 45PU has an LV for a friend... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Helix clamps look really good.

Gates Power Grip hose clamps? Heat gun? Mic the OD to insure the correct size? One time use? Cut to remove?

Yes...Gates Power Grip clamps. Measure, find the size you need(they seem to cover quite a few sizes), put on hose per instruction(basically you don't want the clamp over the barb of the fitting), heat with a heat gun until it stops shrinking. Then don't touch it for 10 minutes. I can see them being super useful if you needed a molded style hose...one that you could make with 90 degree fittings or 45s or straight couplers. Seamless looking hose. Especially if it didn't need to be serviceable.

Non re-useable.

They have a special tool to remove this style clamp(pretty sure some manufacturers use clamps like this on certain hoses). I would probably just cut it off.

I found some cool Youtube videos about them.

I think the little ones we used were $3 each. Kinda spendy but I have wanted to use them for a long long time. Feeling like I am now complete.

Last edited:
Seats went in today....the metal frames were finished in the same satin dark charcoal powdercoat as some of our dash pieces. It's really a cool color and sheen. Prismatic Powders Forged Charcoal. I might end up doing the wheels in this color I think. I'll probably end up doing a lot in this color for a lot of the cars we work on. I'm a sucker for any grey colors...this one is probably my favorite to date. I've not seen anything like it.

Seats are super nice....sliders work great(needed a lot of work to free up)....rear seat stuff works as it should. I'm really digging the embossed vinyl....looks proper in the truck.

I need to get it outside for some better pics....looks really washed out in the shop light. Hard to get good pics.
20171017_181332-01.jpeg
PA099334.JPG
PA179397.JPG
20171017_181219-01.jpeg

G'day c2dfj45, I've just flick through this entire thread. I'm not sure how I missed it. The truck is gorgeous and the embossed vinyl that is pure class.......much like the rest of the truck. Cheers, Ben

PS, Love your shop. If any of your guys cut off a finger, you could perform surgery on one of your workbenches.

Thanks for the kind words......so far no surgeries have had to be performed. Ha. If you have some time to kill, check out our site...lots of cool pics and some good TLC shots mixed in. www.c2dusa.com

I am not using LED bulbs in the headlights....I'm a little worried that they won't get any airflow to cool them down(the ones I was going to use, Phillips, have heat sinks on the back of them that I would assume would be somewhat important to have some air circulating around them. Doesn't seem like a good idea to put them in a headlight bucket with no air flow. My luck over the last 10 years with LEDs hasn't been very good...they all seem to fail. In fact, in our customer builds, I won't install them. Too much time and too much aggravation with them. Only if they are OEM retrofits will we install....

Plugging away...little by little things are getting crossed off the list. SO many things left on that list though. Ha.

I was missing the rod part of a door check and 2 of the others were nearly flat. So my guy who got this project dropped in his lap tabbed me up a new one and re-arched the other ones. We found some rubber bushing for the backs but I think they might be a little too stiff. I am sure we will figure something out.
20171019_175916.jpg
20171019_185303.jpg
20171019_185318.jpg

I was able to use my super cool new line holders on the rear brake line. They worked great. I think these will be my go to for lines. Tomorrow we do the fuel supply and returns....

How about that fancy frame painting? We painted the front of the truck's frame when we started this project with the motor out and everything stripped off. Should have probably taken the body off the frame but that seemed like too big of an undertaking.at the time We'll pop the truck on a lift once she is running and finish the floors and frame. It's all been cleaned...just needs paint.

20171019_180031.jpg
20171019_180041.jpg

Got around to pulling the rear end today....we need to strip it down, swap the 4.10s for 3.73s and get rid of the drum brakes....powerwash tomorrow and prep for POR. Fun stuff.

20171023_172348.jpg
20171023_155308.jpg

These turned out pretty good....my tech didn't believe me when I gave him a piece of 000 steel wool to polish them up with. Youngsters.

20171020_132638#1.jpg

Front brakes done. Steering linkage torqued, cotter pins installed.

20171023_172413.jpg

How will you apply POR ?

Wire wheel the frame , metal ready and POR ?
POR can be apply over the paint that still on you frame ?

I did long ago a frame with metal ready , primer and then por and it didn't stick after a while because of the primer ....
And the section i did with a sand dics ( on a grinder) was too slick for the POR to bound . I was able to peel it !

We have winter and salt over here so it need to be bullet proof !!!! I have a Toyota 1982 frame to do so will see what the best option and cost too.

Thnx
Marc-Antoine

We have had pretty good luck with POR. The preparation is critical. We'll power wash it(talking about the axle....the frame has already been done). Then we will use their marine cleaner followed by their metal prep. You have to follow that metal prep stage to a T. Then you brush on the POR. We do 2 coats. When the last coat is tacky, I spray on their satin black chassis coat...or whatever they call it. It gives it a nice satin look and gives it some UV stability.

We have done a few trucks with it...no peeling, no issues but we spend a lot of time in prep.

We used this stuff on the floors of the truck...the guy who sells it said it can go over anything....paint, bare metal, rust, whatever. I think I prefer it to POR. Very very durable stuff. MasterSeriesCT Coating Line Rust Prevention - MasterSeriesCT

Call the guy up and chat with him....really knowledgeable.

Fresh POR15'd parts....nice. Tomorrow we mount to the truck, pull off the backing plates, pull axles, pull 3rd member and then put it all back together with some nice disk brakes and a 3.73 3rd.
20171025_182140.jpg
20171025_182146.jpg

Got out driveshafts back from being modded.....and our gas tank back from being cleaned and lined. Time to get this stuff in the truck....

PA309485.JPG
PA309487.JPG

Using the dual pattern diff flanges from Cruiser Outfitters so we can run the original 66 driveshafts with 3.73 differentials. Makes things a lot simpler than sourcing used driveshafts with the proper flanges for the 3.73s. We did that on my 45LPB.
PA309486.JPG

Should be a pumpkin in here tomorrow....appropriate for Halloween day.
PA309488.JPG

3.73 installed, disk brakes on, tank in for mockup of fuel pump. With any luck, we'll have the pump and the lines done by week's end. Going to build a way too expensive fuel line for this thing.

PB019491.JPG
PB019489.JPG

Fun with fuel lines today.....I went with AN fittings and the nickel/copper lines I like to use. Ran a pressure line as well as a return(pics tomorrow of the routing). My trucks always get whatever we have left over from other builds...for this one I wanted to play with the stuff the customers get to have on their builds. Found a slick 14mmx1.50 to -6AN fitting to fit on my 3FE's stock fuel line coming off the rail......no clamps....all AN fittings. My other 3FEs have either the stock fuel line cut and line attached with a clamp or the soft line cut and clamped to a steel line. Kind of liking the AN setup....except for the cost!

Signed off on the brakes today....everything is secured and tight. Front driveshaft went in. Tomorrow it's power steering lines(AN with PTFE hose), rear driveshaft, fuel tank gets permanently mounted, wheels go on and she comes off the jack stands. Getting closer and closer.
20171102_144252.jpg
20171102_144258.jpg
20171102_153217.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom