274k mile fuel filter cut open (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

did you check your new one to see if it was clean inside??

Why the new one?

It was an OEM Toyota, but even if it wasn't, why check a NEW one?

With the OEM replacement being $50 for a fuel filter, is it acceptable and logical to use an aftermarket WIX or Puralator fuel filter?

I know I am cheap, want to know any downside.

There is no down side. Just make sure to change them regularly. My rig drive's so much better and smoother now. I no longer lose speed on hills either. Btw my replacement filter was an autozone filter. $25.

There is no down side. Just make sure to change them regularly. My rig drive's so much better and smoother now. I no longer lose speed on hills either. Btw my replacement filter was an autozone filter. $25.

WIX or Purolator are available to me for about $17. I know I could spend over double that and he anal about being OEM, then I will realize that I am probably paying extra for something of the same quality.

I have 295s and significant problems often going up hills. Does this really make a big difference?

Factory 96 filter is in there now & 228,500 miles

It really makes a difference for me. I can go up the hills going to Tahoe with way less RPM and more speed. Usually I'm around 3500 RPM going up with the PWR button on just to maintain around 70 mph... now I'm barely breaking 3000 rpm at 70 mph going up.

It really makes a difference for me. I can go up the hills going to Tahoe with way less RPM and more speed. Usually I'm around 3500 RPM going up with the PWR button on just to maintain around 70 mph... now I'm barely breaking 3000 rpm at 70 mph going up.

Makes sense, dirty/clogged 200k old fuel filter will probably mess with fuel distribution. haha

Here is the original out of my 96 with 243,000 miles

AB80BCC5-5C07-4241-97E4-2C9FB9111646.jpeg

F713901A-BE76-4056-96DC-9C4C67EA8F7A.jpeg

74C73DA8-789C-484D-826F-E5A873818405.jpeg

So are the 80 filters designed to continue to flow once the filter material becomes clogged to the max?

I don’t know but I did get a solid 15-20% more power to get up hills and pull out in traffic. My engine feels like i took 10 years off of it!

If your filter looks like these then what does the screen on Fuel Pickup in tank look like?

I'l take a picture of the fuel pump screen as soon as my parts get here from Lexus.

I don’t know but I did get a solid 15-20% more power to get up hills and pull out in traffic. My engine feels like i took 10 years off of it!

Definitely, my LX450 is a blast to drive now!

WIX or Purolator are available to me for about $17. I know I could spend over double that and he anal about being OEM, then I will realize that I am probably paying extra for something of the same quality.

I have 295s and significant problems often going up hills. Does this really make a big difference?

Factory 96 filter is in there now & 228,500 miles
Huge difference

If your filter looks like these then what does the screen on Fuel Pickup in tank look like?

Likely fine, have never seen much of anything in them.

After reading this thread a couple of months ago, I decided to change my fuel filter. My engine has 156k on the clock. I suspect the old filter was the original.

Here's a pic of the inside of the old fuel filter... Unbelievable!

FYI... DO NOT use a Hastings filter!!! The rear bracket will not line up with the fuel line. I spent two hours trying to make it work, just to save a few bucks. :deadhorse: Ordered OEM, the fit was great and relatively painless!

filter.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom