Little help. Replacing Motor mounts .. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
So I got the mounts the other day
Couple questions though
My friend is letting me borrow his engine hoist/crane . I was told to not use a floor jack on the oil pan because in many cases it pushes the skid plate tac welds streight into the oil pan casing small crack/holes.

So if I use a hoist, where roni attach it to the motor ? Do I take head bolt out to do this ?!!
Also do I need to loosen tranny mounts to allow it to all come up alittle as needed or do I not need to touch those ?

Thanks in advance
-artie

Does your Engine still have the lift points? (red in photo)
IMG_0940.JPG

I last used a bottle jack under the mount on the engine.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/media/bosch-reman-alt.47589/full?d=1473784816

Yes. It's been many years, but I believe there's a flat spot between the block and the rubber mount. With the rear still attached it doesn't need to be Centered... and only lift it an inch or less.

FJ40 project 046.jpg

Looking at this pic the 3rd might be in the way on one side... the other may be clear.

It has been 21 years since I had an F Series block.

Wrecking bar (big ass crow bar) or heavy pipe.

Is it safe to use a floor jack on the front of the oil pan ?
The part In front of the skid plate ..?

use a block of wood or a steel plate to spread the load out and you'll be fine.

you just need to make sure you don't go very high or double check your fan clearance on the shroud.

i just did this. turn the fan blades so no blade is at 12:00 and then lift one side at a time vs the center. I used a wood block on the jack aimed at the mount on the pass side. driver side can be done from the pan but use a larger flat piece of wood to disperse the pressure over a larger area.

to lift one side at a time u will need to set the jack position to the side vs centered for the pass side mount-then center/pan for the drivers side mount.lifted its very close and you can then use a long prybar to gain the added few mm for the mount to slide past the engine mount and into the frame mount.

by lifting one side at a time you are tilting vs lifting straight up and are able to gain a few mm more clearance at each mount.

Last edited:
since you already have the engine crane use it to lift the front and use a jack for the rear .its been a while but i dont remember even disconnecting any thing to change my last set you only need a couple inches .good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom