In Need of Some Land Cruiser Parts and/or Consulting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ewillis

SILVER Star
Threads
So I have the truck at Toyota in Claremont. 1994 80 series with 124K. Speedometer and odometer stopped working. Truck will stall at low idle usually when braking at slow speed and OD light is blinking. Figured it was a speed sensor, but not wanting to purchase an expensive part and it not be the case, I just dropped it off at dealership. I did not pull the codes prior to dropping off. Tech working on the truck has a 1996 80 and swapped the sensor into his truck and said sensor is good. Tech is a "cruiserhead" but I don't know him personally.

Service rep said tech swapped cluster into his truck (not sure if this is possible given the different years 1994 vs. 1996) and said cluster is bad. The tech said something else besides the cluster must be faulty, but not sure how he came to this conclusion and is super expensive to start going through electrical system.

Long story short, I can't find a new cluster for sale (not sure they even are for sale). Dealership said discontinued. Need some advice on what the problem could be and if anyone knows of a cluster source.
As always...TIA:beer:

I got a (an?) used cluster from Deathvalleypaul.

You can get all the pieces of a cluster new except the circuit board.
Clear plastic cover, case, and gauges. If I were home and you needed it I'd sell you a new speedometer head for leas than I paid. I bought 2 on accident. There is a thread that smokin rocks added some good info about Speedo problems. He has that system figured out. You likely have an electrical problem, obviously. There is the speed sensor in the t/c. One in the trans and the last part is in the Speedo head. With your other problems it's all over my head though.
If you can't fix it with a hammer...you have an electrical problem!
Good luck

So I have the truck at Toyota in Claremont. 1994 80 series with 124K. Speedometer and odometer stopped working. Truck will stall at low idle usually when braking at slow speed and OD light is blinking. Figured it was a speed sensor, but not wanting to purchase an expensive part and it not be the case, I just dropped it off at dealership. I did not pull the codes prior to dropping off. Tech working on the truck has a 1996 80 and swapped the sensor into his truck and said sensor is good. Tech is a "cruiserhead" but I don't know him personally.

Service rep said tech swapped cluster into his truck (not sure if this is possible given the different years 1994 vs. 1996) and said cluster is bad. The tech said something else besides the cluster must be faulty, but not sure how he came to this conclusion and is super expensive to start going through electrical system.

Long story short, I can't find a new cluster for sale (not sure they even are for sale). Dealership said discontinued. Need some advice on what the problem could be and if anyone knows of a cluster source.
As always...TIA:beer:

Yikes! Bring it over to @NLXTACY and we can take a look. Hopefully it's something simple because it usually is with these old beasts.

You can get all the pieces of a cluster new except the circuit board.
Clear plastic cover, case, and gauges. If I were home and you needed it I'd sell you a new speedometer head for leas than I paid. I bought 2 on accident. There is a thread that smokin rocks added some good info about Speedo problems. He has that system figured out. You likely have an electrical problem, obviously. There is the speed sensor in the t/c. One in the trans and the last part is in the Speedo head. With your other problems it's all over my head though.
If you can't fix it with a hammer...you have an electrical problem!
Good luck

Thanks Ted, I just don't have the electrical ability, which is why I dropped it off. I've read a number of threads and seems to be the speed sensor or "cluster" (by cluster I'm assuming speedo head?). If you have a spare speedometer head, let me know.

I had a faulty oil pressure gauge and sender. New sender and used gauge from SOR. Took care of the issue but it was not similar to what you are experiencing.

This part sounds like a vacuum leak, did all these symptoms start at the same time?
vacuum leak will cause a dead speedo/odo and throw a OD code? Haven't heard of this but will investigate. Yes all symptoms at once.

vacuum leak will cause a dead speedo/odo and throw a OD code? Haven't heard of this but will investigate. Yes all symptoms at once.

Check your intake hose, most like it gots a gaping hole in it....ask me how I know!

99% sure the cluster WILL NOT SWAP between OBDI and II trucks. i messed up and sold one to a guy a while back and he had to swap it out with me since i sent a 93 and he needed a 96. he claimed it didnt work but once swapped with the correct year it did.

My 95 is OBDI.
Just remembered I boxed up the Speedo head I removed. The trip odometer didn't work but goid other than that. If you want someone at home can ship it to you for nothing. I'll give it to you though it has about 408,000 miles on it.
But...if I were you I'd look at every ground wire first.

I'd ask @cruiserdan or @beno to confirm this, but I have both a '94 and '95 and the combination meters didn't appear to be interchangeable. Mainly mounting, IIRC, but either of these guys will know.

ewillis. I do have the used and a brand new Speedo head. The Speedo head is the part in the cluster that clocks miles, has trip odometer, shows your speed and has something to do communication to or fro with the ecu. If you find you want the used for free or the new for less than what I paid just say the word. The new one came from Japan via amayama for something like $250. I'd have to look back and see for sure. Don't want to recoup all my money for my mistake. Just want to help. I don't know what to have your mechanic do next. We need to divide and conquer. Checking every thing out will be expensive. Do you have a fsm and a ewd?

@ewilis- has the blinking OD light been investigated yet? Any codes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom