100 series sleeping setup? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@TheAshenWolf ... very nice! Care to share the dimensions of the platform? This solution would work well for me until the upgrade budget is replenished and I can afford the LandShark drawers that I really, REALLY want.

(Timing Belt job is due along with both valve covers AND CV replacement.....so my budget is going towards all that first) :(

Nice setup! Do you have any build plans you could message me?

I don't have much for a formal plan. But here's the basic setup. The side sections were just estimates at the time. You'll have to make a pattern to fit the box into the space properly. I wanted a nice tight fit (I know- who doesn't?) to prevent movement and maximize the usable space. The basic dimensions here will take up about as much as you can side to side, but is about an inch short of the tail gate sill. You'll figure it out. Good luck!

Also- you have to watch the overall width of the folding panels. At the length I have below, they just barely scrape the "C" pillar trim panels on both sides as they unfold/ fold.

Version for sleeping extended.jpg

Last edited:
This is my design and is somewhat more complex and heavier than some of the simpler solutions above. It works pretty well for my use- it holds alot of gear securely in the two drawers, unfolds for 7+ feet (and about the full width of the interior), then folds back up into the cargo area (which means it can stay in the rig indefinitely) and still allows full use of the 2nd row seats. When I get the rooftop tent next summer, I'll take off the extensions and just use it for gear.

View attachment 1551334
View attachment 1551327
View attachment 1551332
I love how this set hinges the platform for sleeping. Very cool!

I have this Coleman Cot. It fits perfectly over the folded double bench. I just put some blocks under the feet behind the drivers seat to support and level it. Sorry I don't have any pictures right now. The only problem is at 6'4" my feet are right on the rear glass.

@TheAshenWolf ... very nice! Care to share the dimensions of the platform? This solution would work well for me until the upgrade budget is replenished and I can afford the LandShark drawers that I really, REALLY want.

(Timing Belt job is due along with both valve covers AND CV replacement.....so my budget is going towards all that first) :(

I feel you on the whole "budget game." Gotta keep the balance between "wants" and "needs."

Platform Dimensions
Rear (semi permanent): 38" long, 51" wide
Front (only for sleeping): 34" long, 51" wide

At those dimensions, adding and removing platforms is simple and requires no strange movement. Pulls straight out.

The sleeping platform is exactly the size of a full mattress. I love it.

Total cost: $230

Found this thread a week or so ago as I was planning my own road trip from SoCal to Colorado. Given the cold temps and plans to go solo, I thought it would be perfect to build some sort of platform that would allow me to travel and sleep inside of the Cruiser. With about $90 in wood from Lowes (not including the $15 12-pack from the market) my buddy and I built this platform to meet all my needs. Given more time — and ambition — I would probably mimic @TheAshenWolf build as the modular aspect really appeals to me.

At any rate, here's how my build turned out. Perfect sleeping platform for myself and my dog, while also leaving room for storage underneath, a 54qt cooler (or single seat) in the cavity and the ability to bear as much cargo weight as I would ever put on top:

IMG_7268.JPG

IMG_7270.JPG

IMG_7271.JPG

IMG_7271.JPG

IMG_7272.JPG

Last edited:
Just wondering because I’ll be doing this soon what is the height of the legs? How far up is the platform? I’ve been working this on my head between a combination of others posts and I like the height on yours.

Found this thread a week or so ago as I was planning my own road trip from SoCal to Colorado. Given the cold temps and plans to go solo, I thought it would be perfect to build some sort of platform that would allow me to travel and sleep inside of the Cruiser. With about $90 in wood from Lowes (not including the $15 12-pack from the market) my buddy and I built this platform to meet all my needs. Given more time — and ambition — I would probably mimic @TheAshenWolf build as the modular aspect really appeals to me.

At any rate, here's how my build turned out. Perfect sleeping platform for myself and my dog, while also leaving room for storage underneath, a 54qt cooler (or single seat) in the cavity and the ability to bear as much cargo weight as I would ever put on top:

IMG_7268.JPG

IMG_7270.JPG

IMG_7271.JPG

IMG_7271.JPG

IMG_7272.JPG

Just wondering because I’ll be doing this soon what is the height of the legs? How far up is the platform? I’ve been working this on my head between a combination of others posts and I like the height on yours.

I'll have to get a measuring tape out and check when I get back, but when I built it I just put the plywood board on the rear seats to get a height estimate, which I believe was in the range of 12" total? I'll check and get a more accurate measurement this weekend.

Has anybody tried just folding the second row forward and blowing up some size aero bed in there to basically fill up the gaps left to right? Wouldn't the aero bed inflate to the curvature of the interior?

Will there be enough front to back rooM? What size aerobed fits? Full? Queen?

Has anybody tried just folding the second row forward and blowing up some size aero bed in there to basically fill up the gaps left to right? Wouldn't the aero bed inflate to the curvature of the interior?

Will there be enough front to back rooM? What size aerobed fits? Full? Queen?

I tried this a few times and could never get them to fit. They were too long. I gave up and built a platform.

If you want to use the second road seats as part of the bed I think around 10 1/2" - 11" high is what you want. I am building a new set as we speak.

If you want to use the second road seats as part of the bed I think around 10 1/2" - 11" high is what you want. I am building a new set as we speak.

Thanks! Actually I’ve already extracted the second row seats and just need to build a full length sleeper. I want it high enough to where I can fit storage but not too high where I can still lean forward while I’m in there. I’m going to go out tomorrow and see where 12” gets me.

Here is my current project. Sleeping height on the drivers side, cooler slide or space for my lab on the passenger side. I need to make some changes to a few things before I install.

IMG_0463.JPG

IMG_0464.JPG

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

Thanks! Actually I’ve already extracted the second row seats and just need to build a full length sleeper. I want it high enough to where I can fit storage but not too high where I can still lean forward while I’m in there. I’m going to go out tomorrow and see where 12” gets me.
Got ya. I would do as low as you can for room to sit up. If it was me I would go 6-8" for room to sit up or stretch. 10 1/2-11" doesn't leave much room for stretching or sitting up.

Bumping this thread....would a simple double/twin frame be suitable as a platform?

With the seats folded down what are the dimensions of the back? Im out of town and cant do measurements right now.

one on amazon is 74x54x14

plenty of storage space underneath

Bumping this thread....would a simple double/twin frame be suitable as a platform?

With the seats folded down what are the dimensions of the back? Im out of town and cant do measurements right now.

one on amazon is 74x54x14

plenty of storage space underneath

Off hand, I think the 74" length is a potential problem. Also, the sides are not clear the whole way through in the cargo area. The wheel wells interfere.

You might get that to work if you removed the entire second row.

Generally the cargo drawer systems are 42" x 40" so no go on 54" wide in the rear. The easy solution is something in the third row/ cargo that matches height (~11 - 13") with mid row seats folded.

Something lika a plywood / 2x4 platform or whats most often the case drawers in the back that match height with folded mid-row.

Almost finished with my set up, getting ready for Cruise Moab. Shelves in back a tad higher than the tail-gate, cut to fit the Rigid Tool Boxes. I pulled the 40% rear passenger seat and put my fridge shelf there. I cut up a Queen foam mattress from amazon for ease of removal and increased secured cargo area. Added some aluminum anchor tracks for securing anything that won't fit in the shelving, want to limit this to soft bags, clothing bedding etc. Any camping heavy stuff to be secured in the shelves within boxes.

I can pull this entire set up out in about 15 min. 4 turnbuckles holding the main box in place, 2 seat bolts for the fridge shelf and four bolts holding the sleeping extension to the main box. We'll see how it holds up in moab. lan on using that as a test run, then pulling it apart and making any adjustments needed, then bracing and gluing it all up.

Lots of inspiration from @CruiserDave 's KISS and @TheAshenWolf 's build.

Almost finished with my set up, getting ready for Cruise Moab. Shelves in back a tad higher than the tail-gate, cut to fit the Rigid Tool Boxes. I pulled the 40% rear passenger seat and put my fridge shelf there. I cut up a Queen foam mattress from amazon for ease of removal and increased secured cargo area. Added some aluminum anchor tracks for securing anything that won't fit in the shelving, want to limit this to soft bags, clothing bedding etc. Any camping heavy stuff to be secured in the shelves within boxes.

I can pull this entire set up out in about 15 min. 4 turnbuckles holding the main box in place, 2 seat bolts for the fridge shelf and four bolts holding the sleeping extension to the main box. We'll see how it holds up in moab. lan on using that as a test run, then pulling it apart and making any adjustments needed, then bracing and gluing it all up.

Lots of inspiration from @CruiserDave 's KISS and @TheAshenWolf 's build.

Nice platform solution but foam sucks look into Exped Mega mat for the best night sleep available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom