2nd Gen Tundra coilovers on 2nd GEN sequoia? Anyone tried this yet! Tundra Suspension Swap? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
January 16, 2018 update/edit: Done with the Tundra front Suspension Swap and I’ve got results... BLUF: 1.25” front lift!
The front worked! But the rear shocks were too different.
See below for more updates and pics.
Original post:
——————————-

⁉️Question and advice... it's about time to switch out the shocks on my 2010 sequoia's (limited/non air ride) suspension.
-When I had my 4th gen 4runner, I switched out the old suspension with a 2nd gen Tacoma's TRD bilstein front Coil overs/ struts and utilize the rear shocks as well. This is also known as the "taco swap" on T4R.org. Gave my front end a 1&1/4" leveling lift. I then utilized rear springs from an FJ cruiser that yielded a 1" rear lift. IMO, it was the most cost-effective and all OEM part Toyota lift I've ever seen.
(The taco suspension parts were given to me and I bought the rear FJ springs for $50)

-Is this same concept possible with a 2nd gen tundra's suspension on a 2nd gen sequoia? Front Coil overs /struts and rear shocks?
-I've looked on forums like tundra solutions but no dice.
Any input or advice would be really appreciated!
Ps, this is what my 2004 T4R looked like after the taco swap. Not bad really for $50.

IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

Last edited:
Bump ✊? Anyone got anything on this?

IMG_7052.JPG

It works on the front no problem. Not 100% sure on the rear.

It works on the front no problem. Not 100% sure on the rear.
Thank you for the feedback! I agre... I can't possibly be the first person to actually try this right?
From the research that I have gathered, it is a for sure full-time fit with the front suspension because the tundra/sequoia platforms are almost identical. From what I can tell the tundra coil overs are heavier rated. When I do this, I'm hoping that I will gain about an inch of lift in the front.… If I do, then I'm going to put the Revtek 1.5" Rear Suspension lift, Toyota Sequoia 4WD 2008-2015 (Not Air) on the rear. That would be extremely cost-effective and moderate lift from almost all OEM parts.

Have you done this yet? How does it look? Work? Etc...
Working on getting a set of 2018 Tundra TRD Off-Road coilovers and rear shocks from a buddy of mine. I prefer to use the Toyota bilsteins (yellow & Blue) so I’m holding out. He should get his toytec kit in soon and will have his oem components swapped out within the next two weeks. I’ll keep this thread posted with any updates.

Update:I ended up just getting the front coilovers because when I compared the rear shocks to each other and the sequoias have a welded eye mount (top and bottom) and the tundra’s rear shocks only have a single eye mount with a top nut on the upper side.
-more to follow... I hopefully will do the install on Monday and I’ll update with pictures, measurements and feedback.

0C2BD43C-E9B9-4454-95E9-E7259BE06CEA.jpeg

FA947DD9-B245-4A5C-B622-FD636C917C6F.jpeg

EAAF297A-B9A7-4B23-9DEA-23FB10F174A9.jpeg

Done with the Tundra front Suspension Swap and I’ve got results... (BLUF: 1.25” front lift!)
Before measurements:
-From ground to fender 35 & 1/4”

After measurements:
-From ground to fender 36 & 1/2”

My Vehicle specs: 2010 Toyota Sequoia Limited. Stock rims with 275/55R20 Cooper ATPs. 107,xxx miles on original OEM suspension.
Donor Suspension Specs: 2018 Toyota Tundra TRD Off-road front strut (coilovers) assembly. 1,000 Miles

The idea is to be able acquire a low cost OEM lift for those that are just wanting bump up the front end of the 2nd gen sequoia on a budget. IMO it has a nice leveled look. I might actually go for a protune 1” rear spacer ($79 Amazon) for the rear springs. Ill have to see how it looks. I’m definitely ordering the 5100s for the rear shock replacements.

After measurements:
-From ground to fender 36 & 1/2”

E9BDD9B6-9927-42F7-A899-ECE618154A92.jpeg

Old clapped out components...

C3DD3FCF-B828-4F3D-8961-BD4D1A7C067E.jpeg

F73F89E7-EFF8-4730-A58F-4D0F23044073.jpeg

Old and new... next each other
Same height but definitely not the same load rating...

And the new TRD Offroad sus components installed...

A6EB6D7A-B2FF-45E2-B81F-AE2748E8CAC0.jpeg

3C62EF75-1DD2-4CBC-9EB3-3B6D3F101776.jpeg

885DAB48-7B31-47D8-9695-251A210B2FDF.jpeg

D770825B-68EE-458F-AF10-C0592EB6E6AC.jpeg

4BC41F2C-CDF9-4072-AE04-40424AA291AB.jpeg

@MojoCruiser Looks good. Do you have any full photos of the Sequoia before and after? Just curious to see how it looks. Nice work.

@MojoCruiser Looks good. Do you have any full photos of the Sequoia before and after? Just curious to see how it looks. Nice work.
Good question, I wish I would’ve been more intentional in the before pictures but let me see what I can find. I will post some after photos for sure. It’s been unusually bitter cold in South Texas lately. Of course, it’s not a seriously drastic difference but in my opinion it does look a little nose hi for me. Going to order a 1 inch spacer I think when I replace the rear shocks with 5100s

First, congrats on starting a cool build!

Second, for the rear, I would suggest BJowett/Jowett Performance. No affiliation, however, when I helped a friend research a Sequoia build, Jowett had put the most effort, by far, into researching the rear end (suspension, locker for the IRS, installing a Sequoia rear differential and boxed frame into a Tundra, etc).

On factory or 'standard' aftermarket rear shocks for the Tundra, in addition to the mounts being different (top mounts), the valving will be different for the Tundra vs the Sequoia (different weight, travel, leaf spring on the Tundra vs a coil on the Sequoia, etc.). The valving for a 200 series cruiser 'might' be closer to what you want for a Sequoia (both use rear coil springs vs leafs on the Tundra). That said, if or when I build a Sequoia I will work with Brian on the rear shocks, valving, and spring rate.

First, congrats on starting a cool build!

Second, for the rear, I would suggest BJowett/Jowett Performance. No affiliation, however, when I helped a friend research a Sequoia build, Jowett had put the most effort, by far, into researching the rear end (suspension, locker for the IRS, installing a Sequoia rear differential and boxed frame into a Tundra, etc).

On factory or 'standard' aftermarket rear shocks for the Tundra, in addition to the mounts being different (top mounts), the valving will be different for the Tundra vs the Sequoia (different weight, travel, leaf spring on the Tundra vs a coil on the Sequoia, etc.). The valving for a 200 series cruiser 'might' be closer to what you want for a Sequoia (both use rear coil springs vs leafs on the Tundra). That said, if or when I build a Sequoia I will work with Brian on the rear shocks, valving, and spring rate.
Thank you for the info. Very interesting reads. If theis wasn't my wife's everyday grocery getter and kid transport I'd go with the Toytec Radflo combo for the front (3") and the Dobinsons Rear Coil Spring For Toyota Sequoia 2008-2016 1.77" lift (45 mm) with a 1.5" spacer to bump it up a bit more. Just from my research so far. I'll look more into the Jowett info.

how much more tire you would be able to fit ?
I'm currently running 275/55R20 Cooper ATPs and I'd like to put 275/60R20 BFG KO2s which is going from a 31.91" tire to a 32.99" tire. A 1.08" or 3.4% gain in height.
or 275/65R20 BFG KO2s for a bit taller tire. That would be a 34.07" tire and 2.17" or 6.8% increase in hieght.
The 65 may be too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom