Best replacement battery? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, just back from vacation and worried about my battery, its the oem Panasonic in my 2012 TTSE. Sounded a little weak after the time off and so I charged it up but it still seems to turn the starter slower than I remember. It is 65k and 5 years old but I have had experience with Panasonic batteries lasting longer.
Does anyone here recommend buying a new Panasonic from the dealer? What are your thoughts on the alternatives? Especially the Optima's and Odyssey's? They can be quite pricey but do they have the longevity? Any help would be appreciated since I am probably going to need a replacement soon; batteries rarely give notice that they are in decline they usually just crap out one day. Thanks everyone.

I've had a Sears Die Hard Platinum (re-badged Odyssey) as the main battery in my FJC for a loooong time - 8 or 9 years? It's still running strong. Unfortunately, Sears quit carrying those now.

On the other hand, I have a real Odyssey as my second battery in the FJC and it won't hold a charge after 4-5 years. Possibly because of the different charging/discharge rates since all it usually does is power my fridge (when I use it)? Also put one in one of my wife's cars, and it didn't last as long as I had hoped. So my experience with Odyssey is mixed I guess.

My OEM Panasonic lasted 8 years. Replaced with Sears DieHard Gold AGM (size 34, as they did not sell correct 27 size). Wish they still had the platinum. It's a wait and see on longevity....but so far, so good.

Dealers local to me didn’t carry Panasonic like what came in it when I was trying to get a replacement.
I got the battery Toyota dealers sell and warranty for different month periods depending on how much you want to buy. Im on my second one of those but at least they prorated it.

The stock battery lasted 7 years the 1st replacement about 2 years.

I’m in Florida where temps are high most of the year which could play a part in the whole picture and my fjc is not my daily driver.

Thanks guys, I went the Optima. $232 and 3 year warranty and people I know who have used these do mention longevity so thats good.
Panasonics have been great for me but this one only lasted 5 years. Matches my truck color too. :)

IMG_3421.JPG

I know it will be many years, but keep us posted on how long this Red Top lasts in the FJ.

my original lasted 6 years of abuse from winching with motor off due to being under water etc. I heard you cannot buy the Panasonic as they only sell to manufacturers. And the cost is like $750 if you could.
i had some red tops in other trucks with no issue. i went with a yellow top this time as i got it for less than $5 due to SAMS club warranty on a house brand AGM i bought there and died in a year, but they dont carry them any longer so i got the Optima!

I know it will be many years, but keep us posted on how long this Red Top lasts in the FJ.
I am back. My Optima Red Top lasted 5 years. Interestingly, and probably because its a glass mat battery, this one gave me notice of its demise. Started the car slower each day for a week and so I bought a new one from Amazon. So I got 5 solid years and 40k miles. I was not charged a core by Amazon and am trying to get a local auto store to take it and give me a core charge refund :) Model # is 8020-164 Group 35. This time the price was $285 after tax. In my previous post I gave the price incorrectly; in 2017 my first Optima was $260, both prices after tax etc.

IMG_8688.JPG

I just put in a Duralast Platinum. 810 CCA and a 3 year replacement warranty. I think it was 140 minutes of reserve power. 24F if I recall and it fit perfectly. My last was Napa decided to try AutoZone. Better warranty, if it makes any difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom