Hi Battle Born Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all....I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction here. I live in Reno and have been working on my stock 1978 FJ40 for the past few months. I started doing a OME suspension kit and a mini PS conversion and now seem to be into some areas that I'm not to familiar with. I have been using the forums quite a bit, but might need some local help trying to desmog this thing. The forums have some good write ups, but nothing specific to the 78 FJ40. Doing the PS conversion now takes the place of the smog pump, so I need to remove the rest of the spaghetti and make sure I don't do anything to screw up the way it was running before, which was flawless. If anything i'm hoping to make it better.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Welcome to our site. I noticed several people have looked at your post without comment. Probably cause no one has had experience with that particular modification. Most of us with 40s have done the saginaw PS conversion and not the mini PS. I personally have done that conversion on my sons mini truck going to a 85 PS to the independent PS which was stronger but smog was not an issue. I would do a search on this mud forum and something should pop up. Maybe consider the saginaw/GM PS??

Desmog was pretty easy on my 75, not sure on a 78. Mostly I just pulled stuff off and plugged vacuum lines.

Thanks for the reply. I found a bunch of desmog info on here, but a little overwhelming looking at the different years and kits. It looks like JimC is the Jedi of desmog, but havent been able to get in touch with him for his kit (if there is one for a 78). Been reading that there could be some issues with back-fire and running not as good, so I want to make sure I dont screw anything up.

Anytime you deal with an engine that had EGR and you disable or remove it, you have to verify the vacuum advance settings. An EGR engine will ping at light throttle without EGR due to there being more vacuum advance from the factory to compensate for the inert gases in the combustion chamber at part throttle and light load. I'm no Toyota expert but the American engines of that vintage are notorious for that issue when you Desmog them. This will create a stumble off idle when you retard the timing to get it to quit rattling under part throttle, then kill the economy and power you gained by no EGR gases in the intake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom