Tire Pressure recommendation (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@NMNORSSE, Interesting that there is conflicting info out there as to them being P or LT tires. Confusing at the very least. Not sure who put the wrong tires on this vehicle but will certainly be contacting the dealer that I purchased it through to let them know. I honestly doubt they would fess up to putting them on even if they did.

The tire warranties might be registered with the manufacturer, BFG, by the serial number on the tire. BFG might be able to identify the shop they sold the tires to using the same serial number, and the shop could tell you who they installed them for if the warranty didn't lead you there first. I'm not sure that either would be willing or able to do that. BFG should be interested to know that one of their vendors is selling tires that aren't adequate in terms of weight and speed rating for the vehicle they were installed on.

If the tires failed and caused injuries you'd have a products liability case against everyone in the chain of distribution- from the manufacturer to the local retailer. So, the manufacturers and reputable tire shops have been extra careful about things like weight rating and speed ratings ever since the Ford/Firestone problem in the early 2000s. I bet their insurance companies require them to be very diligent and keep good records of not only tire sales, but complaints and reports like the one you could make. Then, down the road, if the same shop sold the wrong tires to someone else and it caused a problem, those records could be useful to the survivors to show a pattern of conduct.

The used tire business and craigslist are whole different worlds.

There is always the possibility that the dealer got the truck with worn out tires and put on a set from a used tire dealer or had some tires from another truck on the lot or Craigslist swapped onto the LC. Personally, if BFG couldn't give me the name of the shop that sold the tires (by serial number) or previous owner/dealer (by warranty), I'd let it go unless something tragic happened. My guess is that if you contacted BFG customer service, they'll run down what they can because of the potential liability issues for them (though you may never hear the result.)

Anyhow... the take away from all this for me has been that when buying a used LC (or any other car) check the tires out to make sure they meet the vehicle's requirements. At the very least, that could be a bargaining chip. Also, while we're on the topic, something else to keep in mind is: Tires rot and degrade in ways that are not readily discernible. A pristine tire with plenty of tread could fail after an hour on a hot freeway at high speeds. So, some manufacturers recommend replacement regardless of condition after 6 years from the manufacturing date stamped on the side of the tire. Some others will say they are good for 10 years regardless of condition. Use, climate, etc... are all factors in the actual useful life of the tire. eg. a tire in Saudi Arabia or Arizona will be safe to drive on for less time than a tire in Colorado or Massachusetts. Tires are a safety feature that require at least as much attention as brakes, hoses, fluids and filters.

EDITED: When you bought the truck from the dealer it should have been safe. I bet the dealer is responsible to know whether the tires are adequate or not. So, when you go back to them it is worth the effort to see if they'll refund you some of the purchase price. There is a probably a consumer rights office or ombudsman at your state attorney general's office that could help if the dealer isn't initially open to the idea. It is really irresponsible for the dealer to have sold you the LC with those tires on it since they don't meet the weight requirements. Those tires sell for about $170/each plus install etc.. of another 30ish. You need 5 safe tires. I think the dealer ought to kick you a grand if you give the tires back, since they are probably fine to use on another vehicle.

Last edited:
The tire warranties might be registered with the manufacturer, BFG, by the serial number on the tire. BFG might be able to identify the shop they sold the tires to using the same serial number, and the shop could tell you who they installed them for if the warranty didn't lead you there first. I'm not sure that either would be willing or able to do that. BFG should be interested to know that one of their vendors is selling tires that aren't adequate in terms of weight and speed rating for the vehicle they were installed on.

If the tires failed and caused injuries you'd have a products liability case against everyone in the chain of distribution- from the manufacturer to the local retailer. So, the manufacturers and reputable tire shops have been extra careful about things like weight rating and speed ratings ever since the Ford/Firestone problem in the early 2000s. I bet their insurance companies require them to be very diligent and keep good records of not only tire sales, but complaints and reports like the one you could make. Then, down the road, if the same shop sold the wrong tires to someone else and it caused a problem, those records could be useful to the survivors to show a pattern of conduct.

The used tire business and craigslist are whole different worlds.

There is always the possibility that the dealer got the truck with worn out tires and put on a set from a used tire dealer or had some tires from another truck on the lot or Craigslist swapped onto the LC. Personally, if BFG couldn't give me the name of the shop that sold the tires (by serial number) or previous owner/dealer (by warranty), I'd let it go unless something tragic happened. My guess is that if you contacted BFG customer service, they'll run down what they can because of the potential liability issues for them (though you may never hear the result.)

Anyhow... the take away from all this for me has been that when buying a used LC (or any other car) check the tires out to make sure they meet the vehicle's requirements. At the very least, that could be a bargaining chip. Also, while we're on the topic, something else to keep in mind is: Tires rot and degrade in ways that are not readily discernible. A pristine tire with plenty of tread could fail after an hour on a hot freeway at high speeds. So, some manufacturers recommend replacement regardless of condition after 6 years from the manufacturing date stamped on the side of the tire. Some others will say they are good for 10 years regardless of condition. Use, climate, etc... are all factors in the actual useful life of the tire. eg. a tire in Saudi Arabia or Arizona will be safe to drive on for less time than a tire in Colorado or Massachusetts. Tires are a safety feature that require at least as much attention as brakes, hoses, fluids and filters.

Great advice. Thank you. I am guessing a dealer somewhere in the chain probably just swapped on take off tires that were "close enough" and never even thought to check the load rating. I've contacted the dealer I purchased the vehicle through and am waiting to hear back. Had always planned on swapping out the P tires anyways, this just adds urgency to the situation. Good idea on following up with BFG and tracking the serial number down just to see. Not looking to raise hell since I already had replacements ordered but I do appreciate the information. Maybe this example will help others in the future to check the tires on a used vehicle for safe load rating.

Gaijin, first of all, I like how you even put your tire pressure in your signature bar. Never seen that before.

Second, how does armor affect recommended pressure? For example, a fully armored 200 on 285/75R17 BFG KM2s?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, you're on your own on that one. A "fully armored" LC200 can be many things, most of which are far above the factory GVWR. Best to discuss with the folks who armored the vehicle to determine correct tire pressure(s). If you search the forum you will find one or two members who specialize in armoring these vehicles - I'd trust their experience over mine.

HTH

Great thread. Thank you.
How about a stock 2008 LC Yoko Geolandar A/T G015 285/60/18 116H.
Thanks!

Great thread. Thank you.
How about a stock 2008 LC Yoko Geolandar A/T G015 285/60/18 116H.
Thanks!

That's not a LT-Metric tire so you are good to go with the stock 33psi F/R.

HTH

Wow, great thread.

How about LT275/70R18 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W - Load 125 - Speed Index 122S

The recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for the LT275/70R18 E/10 125/122S WILDPEAK A/T3W tires on your 2013 LC200 is 41psi F/R.

HTH

This is awesome! Don’t have a 200 yet but how about BFG KO2 LT305/65r18 on a 2006 100 series TLC?

This is awesome! Don’t have a 200 yet but how about BFG KO2 LT305/65r18 on a 2006 100 series TLC?

Sorry, I only do 200 series. Maybe someone else can help.

Since the tire pressure drops one pound for every 10° drop in temperature to be safe for the winter in North Florida should I just go in like 45 and then as it gets colder I don’t have to be concerned? Or am I being to anal

Just an update. Since going with the 46psi to compensate for seasonal temperature changes, I now run the LX suspenison on "comfort" setting, compensates for the 15lb heavier truck tire's. Really provides a comfortable, solid ride.

I have all the background data I need for Land Cruisers, but not for GX 460's. In order to answer your question I will need the following info:

1. A picture of the door placard containing all the tire load info.

Failing that I will need the following info from that door placard:

1. GVWR
2. Front axle GAWR
3. Rear axle GAWR
4. Stock tire size exactly as it appears on the placard
5. Recommended inflation pressure(s) for both front and rear

For the sake of expediency, I can, however, make some assumptions based on the following:

Stock tire size is P265/60R18 109H
Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure is 32psi F/R

If these assumptions are NOT correct, then please correct me and ignorethe following:

The Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 LT315/70R17 121S is 35psi.

NOTE 1: 35psi is the minimum recommended tire pressure for these tires on ANY vehicle. At 35psi, the Load Limit is 2,535 pounds which is far above the required Load Limit of 1,985 pounds for an LT-Metric tire on your GX460. This means that the tire is way over spec for the vehicle and will probably exhibit a stiff tire "spring rate."

NOTE 2: Obviously I can not confirm that the LT315/70R17 tires will fit and function properly on your vehicle. All I am recommending is a safe tire pressure at which to operate on road should you decide to mount this size tire on your GX 460.

HTH

Gaijin,

Recently I put my hands on a set of BF KO2 LT 315/70/17 C load. I install them and I really like the comfort they provide vs E rated tires. I started with the manufacturer 32 psi then raise them to 35. How low can I run them and still get the 1985 pounds ( we are still talking about the GX). They are rated at 2538 lbs @45 psi.
Thank you Brother.

Gaijin,

Recently I put my hands on a set of BF KO2 LT 315/70/17 C load. I install them and I really like the comfort they provide vs E rated tires. I started with the manufacturer 32 psi then raise them to 35. How low can I run them and still get the 1985 pounds ( we are still talking about the GX). They are rated at 2538 lbs @45 psi.
Thank you Brother.

I am confused by your post.

The LT315/70R17 C-Rated tires should have a Load Limit of 2535 lbs @ 35psi. The lowest Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for that tire on ANY vehicle is 35psi which will yield the 2535 lbs Load Limit.

HTH

I am confused by your post.

The LT315/70R17 C-Rated tires should have a Load Limit of 2535 lbs @ 35psi. The lowest Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for that tire on ANY vehicle is 35psi which will yield the 2535 lbs Load Limit.

HTH
Sorry about confusion.
We know that the tire is rated for 2535 lbs @45 psi ( based on manufacturer specs),
We know that my truck require a tire with minimum 1985 lbs load.
2535 x 1985 % = 19.85% ( almost 20%)
My question would be ,
Can I drop 20% of the max pressure (45psi) and still be safe ?. 45-11= 34 psi
I am trying to find out if the prorating would work, or,, the tires have to have a minimum of psi , regardless of the car weight.
I appreciate your answer and like you said and my water test, I think that 35 psi would be the right pressure.
Thank you for your help and knowledge sharing.

I am trying to find out if the prorating would work, or,, the tires have to have a minimum of psi , regardless of the car weight.

The tires must have a minimum of 35psi, regardless of car weight.

HTH

@gaijin Can you provide the correct psi for the BFG KO2 size LT285/75R17 E load? Thank you in advance!

Sure. The Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for the LT285/75R17 tires on your LC200 is 37psi F/R.

HTH

I tried searching but I couldn't find it...would you mind providing the recommended pressure for 285/60/18 KO2s? Appreciate it!

I tried searching but I couldn't find it...would you mind providing the recommended pressure for 285/60/18 KO2s? Appreciate it!

I'd be happy to provide the Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for the LT285/60R18/D 118/115S BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires, but you need to tell me whether you are going to use them on a LC200 or LX570.

HTH

I'd be happy to provide the Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for the LT285/60R18/D 118/115S BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires, but you need to tell me whether you are going to use them on a LC200 or LX570.

HTH
LC200 sir!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom