2h turbo question, has anyone done one ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just search, there are a number of people who have done this. People seem to like turbo 2H's. The only problem being the OEM pistons have weak ring lands, and they WILL wear out much faster than with no turbo. So the proper but expensive way to do this is upgrade to pistons with reinforced ring lands before turboing.

Snag a turbo from a 2.0-3.0 litre gas engine and it should do well on the 2H.

take a look on here the diesel section ( search function ) .. if you are not in a power plant .. it will do just fine ..

Denvo and axt make turbo kits for them

You can do a search using my handle....

It made my 2h that prior was a DOG.....especially in the land of lighted on ramps.....into a rig that was faster than any F 2f 3f I have ever driven...
My set up was a powerglide out of OZ

I use turbo from a 280zx turbo and worked great

It seems that a lot of folks just slap a turbo on the old 2H and drive happily away in a cloud of black smoke. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but it seems to me there could be more to it than that. I have been thinking of putting a turbo on my '84 HJ 47 Troopy, and found that Turbo Glide in Australia makes a nice set up, but I still have questions. A few things come to mind:
1. If I were also doing a rebuild I would upgrade to 12HT pistons since they have a larger gudgeon pin.
2. If I could magically come up with a 12 HT head as well, that would be great, since they are direct injection and designed for a turbo.
3. I suspect that the camshaft on the 12 HT has more valve overlap for proper scavenging with a turbo, whereas the 2 H cam isn't designed with a turbo in mind.
4. I believe that the 12 HT has some oil spray nozzles for piston cooling, and these can be installed in the 2H with some work.
So, having said all that, like I said before, a lot of people do it with seemingly good results, as long as you keep the boost reasonable. But I still have one more question:
The governor on the 2H is designed to operate with manifold vacuum: what happens when we supply boost pressure instead? If I can answer that question, I may go ahead and install a turbo. Even though I can think of a lot of reasons not to, a little more power is very tempting!

A few things come to mind:
1. If I were also doing a rebuild I would upgrade to 12HT pistons since they have a larger gudgeon pin.

12HT pistons can't be used in a 2H, because they are fundamentally different. 12HT is direct injection, so has piston bowls, and 2H is indirect injection with flat pistons (pre-cups in the head). Can't put DI pistons into an IDI engine AFAIK.

GTSS, Well that's good to know. All the more reason to find a 12 HT head, which I assume will fit on the 2H block. They're a little hard to find though, and probably not worth the trouble.
I do still wonder about how the cam, (valve overlap) compares between the two, and about how the 2H governor reacts to turbo boost?

GTSS, Well that's good to know. All the more reason to find a 12 HT head, which I assume will fit on the 2H block. They're a little hard to find though, and probably not worth the trouble.
I do still wonder about how the cam, (valve overlap) compares between the two, and about how the 2H governor reacts to turbo boost?

Would be interesting to know about the cams for sure. Toyota has published cam specs for some of their diesel motors, but I don't think I've seen specs for the 2H or 12HT cams.

I'm running a 3L cam in my 2LTE. Has more lift and duration so gives more flow at higher rpm. So mid-high rpm power is better, and doesn't seem to be any trade off at lower rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom