Head bolt reuse experience (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I wanted to pass along some information on head bolt reuse as I'm sure there are others, like me, that want to avoid replacing them all if there is no need. Opinions vary on this topic so I figure an account of 1 more experience with these could be helpful to someone.

Last weekend I reinstalled the head on my 1FZFE last weekend reusing the original head bolts. 1 head bolt failed during installation and showed the failure in the threaded section of the bolt after my second attempt at installing it. All of the head bolts had measured in spec and similarly to the new bolt I replaced the failure with. This was the 2nd use of these head bolts.

Details:

All but one of the bolts torqued down with exactly the same feel. One bolt felt good until the second 90 degree turn when, instead of ramping up to "really hard to turn" it became easier to turn. I pulled the bolt to recheck it per the FSM and found that it was in spec near the head and just below spec further away from the head just before the smooth section tapers down. Bolt looked good otherwise and since I don't really know where to measure these anyway I decided to blow the hole out in the head and try again in case it was full of oil or something like that. Second attempt at installing the bolt the resistance turning the bolt increased consistently but didn't ramp up to as much resistance as the other bolts had done after the second 90 degree turn. I again pulled the bolt for replacement with a new one and it now it has visible stretching in the threaded part of the bolt and measures the same on the smooth part, as it did before.

Background:

Engine has 230k miles on it, head had never been off, no HG leak, great compression and head checked out great when serviced, ie. was a PM headjob with no indication of bolt or head issues.

My take-aways:

I'll never try to reuse these types of head bolts a third time.
I'll have 2 or more new head bolts on hand if I'm ever reusing head bolts.
With rare exceptions, in the future I'll buy all new head bolts for head installs.

Good info to add, the stock head bolts are good at their job but are really 1 use bolts in my opinion. I know Toyota has measurement specs but with a name like torque to yield I think new bolts are a good idea. ;). If I was just doing a head refresh or stock rebuild I would go new Toyota bolts or undercut ARP studs.

The problem with yielding metal is you can't see it or measure it, until after it yields. Even with a STEM, you have to cut it open to see the microstructure. If they were $500 a piece, I could see wanting to reuse them, but it's really not worth taking the risk, unless your time is free, and you don't need your truck.

Hold the phone, you mentioned the +90 turn.. That means TTY bolts.
You don't spit into the wind
You don't step on supermans cape
and you don't reuse TTY bolts, ever, no exceptions.

Sorry bro, you gotta get a new set, and you got off lightly on this one, but i'm sure you know that by now.

Bollocking over, we can now be friends again.

Hold the phone, you mentioned the +90 turn.. That means TTY bolts.
You don't spit into the wind
You don't step on supermans cape
and you don't reuse TTY bolts, ever, no exceptions.

Sorry bro, you gotta get a new set, and you got off lightly on this one, but i'm sure you know that by now.

Bollocking over, we can now be friends again.
My man...

^^^^x2. Gospel.

Yeah, just replace them. That's my advice now as well, but I can still relate to my perspective and decision to reuse and imagine many more will be tempted in the future on this.

This being my first tty experience and at $350+ to replace them, with some folks reporting successful reuse I was tempted. More reading online (beyond mud as well) and I found enough information to support what I wanted to believe, that I could save the $350. I'll spend the $350 every time if I know I have to but this situation is more of a gray area if you research it. It didn't help that the bolts all felt so solid and looked so good after I removed/inspected them... Would save some heart-ache if the FSM just said to replace after ever use!

Another question is what does this say about me as an 80 owner? I'm in the PM head gasket replacement camp but reused the head bolts? Bit of a split personality I guess...

@Qball where can you get head bolts for $5.60 apiece? They run around $25 apiece from what I've seen. So it's more like a $350+ decision vs a $90 decision from the prices I've seen.

just run the arp bolts for 175 ish and be done with it.

VICTOR REINZ make set of TTY for the newer B series and the HZ . Not shure if they are available in your part of the world.
G

Last edited:
@Qball where can you get head bolts for $5.60 apiece? They run around $25 apiece from what I've seen. So it's more like a $350+ decision vs a $90 decision from the prices I've seen.

You must be shopping at your local stealership but OEM bolts are expensive, check with @beno and other vendor for better OEM pricing. But as other have mentioned get ARP bolts and you are good for up to at least 400-500HP and never have to worry about head gasket again if torqued properly(80ftlb-higher than OEM).

BTW it's my mistake on the ARP price, they are around 200 bucks depends on where you shop:
http://paradiseracing.com/shop/arp-hardware/1fz-arp-head-stud-kit/
https://www.amazon.com/ARP-2034205-...=SdTwWw60jQGw9jN96fsBEw&slotNum=0&tag=ihco-20

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom