Factory pto winch worm / bronze gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all.
I have two identical looking pto winches. Probably from early 70 series bj7* style.
These are the ones which are cast steel black ones.
One has been used on my mid mount winch build the other set aside for a spare.
Well I have damaged my worm and set about swapping them over.
But it won't fit.
The two have different worm / bronze gear thread directions. One is L H and the other RH has anyone else seen this?
I was under the impression they are all the same.
Any help to identify which is which so I can locate another spare.
Thanks in advance
Calvin

As a matter of info , may I ask how were you able to damage the worm gear ?
Hard pull or other actions ?

Bye Renago

Many years ago I used the wrong oil and it started to wear out the bronze gear....And recently I bent the worm gear stub that sticks out. So while it was apart I decided to swap in the good winch bits off the spare. And give it a refresh..... And boom.... l/h and r/h gears !
I have found out that the 60 series and 70 series transfercase outputs to the winch spin in opposite directions apparently. hence the different worm gears....

Can't see anyway the PTO gear in the transfer spinning the opposite direction. The 40 series had the two direction PTO so internal parts of the PTO were different but not sure they turn in the opposite direction.

Can't see anyway the PTO gear in the transfer spinning the opposite direction. The 40 series had the two direction PTO so internal parts of the PTO were different but not sure they turn in the opposite direction.

yeah its not the PTO unit on the transfercase.... Its the winches which have two different thread directions.
I have a theory that the trucks that had the rev N fwd pto lever positions had a worm gear threaded one way.
When they did away with that and went N / engaged pto lever they discovered the winch went the wrong way so made worm gears the other thread direction ahhahahahaha

Anyway I need to find a set of worm and bronze gears to match the one I have that is damaged. Or find one of those 3 position PTO units.

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

@kbushnz @Living in the Past

The older three position PTO unit (WIND-neutral-UNWIND) employed an idler gear in the "WIND" position in order to have the winch "WIND" with three different speeds using all forward gears in the transmission. This idler gear was between the input gear and the output gear. So, envision input gear clockwise, idler gear counterclockwise, output gear clockwise. The "UNWIND" position still has input gear CW, but directly driving the output gear CCW. So, WIND has output gear CW, UNWIND has output gear CCW, therefore different directions of winching with no change in the transmission.

The later model two position PTO unit (WIND-neutral) did away with the idler gear, so the input gear would drive the output gear when engaged. In this case, the WIND position was opposite the WIND direction of the original winch, so the pitch of the worm shaft had to be reversed from one hand to the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom