Any 200 series owners considering a 2017 Ford Raptor? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Canyonero's getting a Raptor. I can FEEEEEEEEL it. :hillbilly:

Yes, so tempting but ultimately I’d rarely use the bed and I think it’s almost 3ft longer so would be a pain to use as a daily

The Raptor's farty exhaust note combined with the fake exhaust note pumped into the cabin is not good:

It's real hard to make a V6 not sound like crap. I think the best sounding V6 on the market right now is the Camaro 1LE:

... but the Camaro is NA. Alfa has done a very credible job on the Giulia Quadrifoglio:
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio SOUND Start Up & Revs - Normal Mode vs. Race Mode

So has Lotus on the Evora with the sport exhaust (although we're approaching 100k here):
2017 Lotus Evora 400: Start Up, Exhaust, Test Drive and Review

I guess it's not as bad as the M3/M4 though:
2016 BMW F80 M3 Titanium M Performance Exhaust vs Stock Exhaust Sound

I see Raptors and other Bro-Dozers every day. I've never seen another 200 series. I don't want to be like everybody else.

Regarding the exhaust note, my only personal experience lately with a twin turbo V6 was my Macan S, and it sounded incredible. People noticed the sound more than anything actually, and I got lots of comments/compliments on it. I drove my wife and her friends in it once, and when in sport plus mode downshifting I distinctly remember one of them exclaiming "wow that was hot do that again!". No idea how the Raptor sounds in real life, but I'm guessing microphones don't relay the sound very well compared to a normal setting.

One lives in my neighborhood, it makes unflattering sounds. :( A shame as the rest of the truck is very cool.

Regarding the exhaust note, my only personal experience lately with a twin turbo V6 was my Macan S, and it sounded incredible. People noticed the sound more than anything actually, and I got lots of comments/compliments on it. I drove my wife and her friends in it once, and when in sport plus mode downshifting I distinctly remember one of them exclaiming "wow that was hot do that again!". No idea how the Raptor sounds in real life, but I'm guessing microphones don't relay the sound very well compared to a normal setting.

Stayed at a friend's this weekend. The first thing I said when he fired up his Macan S was how damn good it sounds. It really does.

@Canyonero's getting a Raptor. I can FEEEEEEEEL it. :hillbilly:

Just like @mcgaskins wife, my wife vetoed any Raptor ambitions I had. She's probably right, too. There's no real case to be made for owning one - at least with our lifestyle.

So I go for the vehicles I can get support on! Probably picking up a Model X before the end of the year to replace the minivan - wife is very excited about one after our test drive yesterday - seems like a win to me!

Would be fun for like 1 hour, like a vette or 911 on the street. A couple zero to 100 runs, burn outs, drifts, etc., then replace tires and sell asap. After that, complete boredom.

Out west in the desert and you actually use it as intended, jumping stuff, would be loads of fun. I could see a rental market for baja off road school. That would be sweet.

The raptor would not really fit on east coast trails.

I would check the fine print because I could see Ford saying not intended for desert jumping / abuse.

Controversial hot take: the Raptor is actually legitimately more useful than a 200 for day-to-day driving.

Some major considerations off the top of my head:

- You have a much, much bigger back seat. Limo-like legroom in a F150 crew cab. For those of you with kids, this means rear-facing car seats are a breeze - and you can easily do 3 across - and for the front-facing car seat crew, this means less getting kicked in the back.

- You always have a bed with you - put a cap on the back and you have what, 3x the cargo room of a 200 with the 3rd row folded?

- More power and better gas mileage.

- Modern/state of the art in-car electronics.

- Residual values on par or perhaps even better than a 200, with ~75% the cost of entry like-for-like, new-for-new.

- Broader appeal and market. Easier to sell when you're ready to move on.

So yes, not for everyone - I have zero interest in running one up Red Cone - but they're not garbage...

Hard to disagree with that assessment. At the risk of opening the old can of worms about quality... I would just point out that it's unlikely Ford engineered the Raptor to last as long as a Land Cruiser. But for those of us like @mcgaskins who trade cars like Hot Wheels, it probably doesn't matter.

Controversial hot take: the Raptor is actually legitimately more useful than a 200 for day-to-day driving.

- You have a much, much bigger back seat. Limo-like legroom in a F150 crew cab. For those of you with kids, this means rear-facing car seats are a breeze - and you can easily do 3 across - and for the front-facing car seat crew, this means less getting kicked in the back.

- You always have a bed with you - put a cap on the back and you have what, 3x the cargo room of a 200 with the 3rd row folded?

- Residual values on par or perhaps even better than a 200, with ~75% the cost of entry like-for-like, new-for-new.

So yes, not for everyone - I have zero interest in running one up Red Cone - but they're not garbage...

Stop being so logical and objective! This is a Land Cruiser enthusiast board we are beholden to them! :D

I dunno... Priorities...

A Prius beats em both for fuel economy...
And heck...
A TRACTOR is way more useful fer planting crops...
& a CRANE is WAY more useful if you need to lift steel beams all day...

:hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly:

On the other hand...
The LC is pretty useful at a little bit of most things...and unmatched at a few.

I guess we all get to make our priority list,
but here's hoping Canyonero sticks around! :)

Last edited:
@Canyonero Sell the Ridgeline for the Raptor, you dont need 2 vehicles with beds (I read your awesome assessment on the Ridgeline and agree;))

@Canyonero Sell the Ridgeline for the Raptor, you dont need 2 vehicles with beds (I read your awesome assessment on the Ridgeline and agree;))

Where's the TRIPLE LIKE BUTTON!!!

I park in a parking garage at work in Cambridge (Kendall Square for you locals). My 200 is already a pain to park and maneuver in that tight garage. A Raptor would be a huge pain in the backside — it simply wouldn’t fit in many of the spaces.

Yeah I believe that. Size (beyond cost and availability) is definitely its biggest disadvantage.

It's going to be interesting to see if the 4-door Bronco/Ranger Ford is bringing to market addresses some of these ails.

Quick aside; I participated in a paid focus group a few years ago when they were doing market research on the new Bronco. As a former owner of (technically) 3 Broncos, but who had moved on to the LC, it was hilarious to hear how the current Bronco owners in the room were 100% NOT the target market for a new Bronco...

Half the Bronco people were pre-77 folks, most demanded solid axles, everyone agreed a V8 option was important, everyone said the roof should come off, and most wanted 2 doors, and they wanted it to be cheap.

Instead, the Bronco that will show up here will likely be 4 wheel independent suspension or at best IFS and solid rear like our 200s, 4 and 6 cylinder Ecoboosts, a fixed roof, and 4 doors, and probably $40k+, which isn't cheap.

I'm sure the designers and product managers behind the 1-way mirrors were grimacing the entire time.

At any rate - the one upshot here is they may make a Raptor version. I could see that being a very interesting alternative to trucks like ours...

It is baffling what people will buy today. Supposedly new car sales peaked in 2016/17. The cars of the future will be much more want to haves.

People will buy the Bronco because it says "Bronco" on it. It will be another car from Ford and people will still buy it.

I would like to know the average months owned for Raptors. I say months, because the truck is just too big.

I just don't think a Raptor will last like any LC. LC's take abuse and just keep on going (all around the planet).

I also would like to see a Raptor attempt the production class at Dakar. The 80's, 100's, and 200's have won the production class year after year at Dakar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom