Which side to put an awning? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleak

SILVER Star
Threads
For anyone who has a smaller awning, did you put it on the driver or passenger side, and why? I'm talking about the square/rectangular ones, not the batwings that cover side and back.

I put mine on the drivers side so I could access the drivers door and not get wet. All controls are there, theres never crap on the seat and where ya gonna sit if you want to get inside out of the weather/wind etc.

I have the 8 foot one so it reaches from the front of the drivers door to the hatch, where you can also stay dry.
Who needs a batwing, huh?

I was going to go with driver's side for that very reason, but then saw many photos of folks pulled over to the side of a road with their awnings out for a break.
I may just need one on each side!

LOL. I never noticed that. But if yourr so close to the road that you cant turn around you may just be too close for safety.

I went off the back so I could open the rear doors to get to my stuff. Here's my El Cheapo home made junk.
awning.JPG

I mount mine on the passenger side because of the wind noise. It is not loud in any way, but prefer not to hear it when traveling at speed with the window down.

I've never owned an awning nor paid close attention to how they are typically mounted, but it seems to me that it might be useful to devise some sort of quick-release solution so you could switch sides as necessary to compensate for limitations on how the vehicle may need to be oriented in particular camping spots (tight spaces, uneven terrain, slopes, desired view, etc.).

If you find an easy quick release, post it up! Since the awning is long and relatively heavy it needs to be on very securely!

I put mine on the driver side too and then when I park, always think about where the sun will be in the late afternoon. Plus, the fridge with the cold drinks is just inside driver side rear door.

just about anything can work with enough foresight...

toss in some lower expectations, and you'll be a happy man!!!

If you find an easy quick release, post it up! Since the awning is long and relatively heavy it needs to be on very securely!

I put mine on the driver side too and then when I park, always think about where the sun will be in the late afternoon. Plus, the fridge with the cold drinks is just inside driver side rear door.

Gamiviti Racks sells an awning receiver that allows for a "snap pin" for easy release. Not exactly sure how it works, but it may allow for buying for both sides and allow to easily change the awning from one side to the other. Difficult to tell by the pictures though. I have a Gamiviti rack and it's top notch.

Passenger side to make up for my “additional “ weight always on the drivers side...sigh.

My RTT is on the Driver's side, so my awning is on the passenger's. I may switch it around when I put it on next year. Also I use the (freaking great) FourTreks brackets to hold it on, so it would be relatively easy to switch sides, but I'd probably just rearrange myself in a site differently before I needed to do that...

Last edited:
I have a fj cruiser with the awning on the passenger side...
But you guys gave me a great idea (maybe )
For my 62 I'm going to use Yakima gutter mount racks
I'm thinking about building a mount for the awning that has a pipe that would slip in the Yakima tube and stay put with quick pins...
I could switch sides pretty easy (maybe ) !

Depends more on how you access your gear and use your rig. I'll be adding a batwing to the driver side, but more that side because of the rear barn door on our GX opening from left to right. Putting awning on the driver side will open it to include the back area of the vehicle when the door is open and the door will act as a partial wall below that side/edge of the awning. Also picking up a Gamiviti rack here soon, which my brother has and yes highly recommended. They are custom built and super tough.

For anyone who has a smaller awning, did you put it on the driver or passenger side, and why? I'm talking about the square/rectangular ones, not the batwings that cover side and back.
I've helped deploy smaller awnings and I have an Alu-Cab Shadow Awn (270* or batwing as commonly called) just to give you an idea where I'm coming from.

I put mine on the drivers side so I could access the drivers door and not get wet. All controls are there, theres never crap on the seat and where ya gonna sit if you want to get inside out of the weather/wind etc.

I have the 8 foot one so it reaches from the front of the drivers door to the hatch, where you can also stay dry.
Who needs a batwing, huh?

So, to give some insight to those who haven't seen how easy it is to deploy the Alu-Cab...check it out. (Link is a search for youtube videos that show the Alu-Cab.) To get back to the OP's question which side to put your awning on....for my use I would choose the driver's side since my spare tire swingout mount is passenger side. Gives you more usable room under awning.

Why am I even mentioning the "batwing" style, since OP wants info on the smaller awnings? Well, with my experience with both, I can't imagine recommending the smaller awning for those who are running a single awning, as long as you have the size rig capable to install the Alu-Cab. It does everything the smaller awnings do plus more. It's easier to set up and take down...at least as sturdy - probably sturdier than most. In fact, setting up for a lunch stop along the road while traveling is commonly mentioned by users. Not many "batwing" style awnings are as strong as the Alu-Cab, so the Alu-Cab Shadow is the only "batwing" I'm suggesting.

The Shadow that I ordered and installed on my 80 series is actually for the passenger side because it is temporary. I plan to run an off road trailer and mount the Shadow on it. One other caution that I must mention to those thinking of running an Alu-Cab Shadow is mounting considerations. It requires an extremely stout mount to your rig. In other words, if your roof rack is just "barely hangin' on" to your rig, it will need to be fixed before installation. And check with Rin at OK4WD before, to get latest adapter info for your rack. Also, a wall kit is available for this awning, but like the awning, $pendy.

I almost always rig the Kelty Carport on the passenger side, I just seem to always park with the passenger side away from the sun.

I've helped deploy smaller awnings and I have an Alu-Cab Shadow Awn (270* or batwing as commonly called) just to give you an idea where I'm coming from.

So, to give some insight to those who haven't seen how easy it is to deploy the Alu-Cab...check it out. (Link is a search for youtube videos that show the Alu-Cab.) To get back to the OP's question which side to put your awning on....for my use I would choose the driver's side since my spare tire swingout mount is passenger side. Gives you more usable room under awning.

Why am I even mentioning the "batwing" style, since OP wants info on the smaller awnings? Well, with my experience with both, I can't imagine recommending the smaller awning for those who are running a single awning, as long as you have the size rig capable to install the Alu-Cab. It does everything the smaller awnings do plus more. It's easier to set up and take down...at least as sturdy - probably sturdier than most. In fact, setting up for a lunch stop along the road while traveling is commonly mentioned by users. Not many "batwing" style awnings are as strong as the Alu-Cab, so the Alu-Cab Shadow is the only "batwing" I'm suggesting.

The Shadow that I ordered and installed on my 80 series is actually for the passenger side because it is temporary. I plan to run an off road trailer and mount the Shadow on it. One other caution that I must mention to those thinking of running an Alu-Cab Shadow is mounting considerations. It requires an extremely stout mount to your rig. In other words, if your roof rack is just "barely hangin' on" to your rig, it will need to be fixed before installation. And check with Rin at OK4WD before, to get latest adapter info for your rack. Also, a wall kit is available for this awning, but like the awning, $pendy.

I was originally planning on a 270 degree, but I'd hate to buy one and find that I can't install it so the swing arm fits between the roof rack (that I don't yet have) and the spoiler on my 200 series when the hatch is up. I don't want to remove it. I also have the same spoiler concern about fitting an Eezi-Awn T-Top RTT so it folds off the back. It's a pretty big spoiler; it could spoil some plans as well as air.

I was originally planning on a 270 degree, but I'd hate to buy one and find that I can't install it so the swing arm fits between the roof rack (that I don't yet have) and the spoiler on my 200 series when the hatch is up. I don't want to remove it. I also have the same spoiler concern about fitting an Eezi-Awn T-Top RTT so it folds off the back. It's a pretty big spoiler; it could spoil some plans as well as air.
Yeah, that spoiler could interfere with opening your hatch, if you were to go with the Alu-Cab. The tailgate lid on my 80 series, without a spoiler, hits an arm of my Alu-Cab, when opened. It's a minor issue mainly caused by the new struts that push the lid up further than normal.

The roof rack you choose will determine how difficult it would be to mount an Alu-Cab. I knew that the Alu-Cab was the awning I wanted, so I modified my Yakima cross bar system (roof rack) to get it to work. OK4WD, which is the U.S. distributer for Alu-Cab products did not have an adapter for Yakima racks, so I had to do it myself.

Back to your original question, though, because we're getting off on a tangent. For a smaller awning, I would choose passenger side, all things being equal. Only because if you were stopped along the road and wanted to deploy the awning for like a lunch break, it's not out in the road. But, whatever works for you is what you need to decide. If you're planning on a soft sided RTT that folds out, that has to be considered for which side also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom