Builds Dirty Bastard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ditto on link calcs and picture details. Have put off doing the same for years and think I'd be ready to commit if I could afford ORI's.

Also, I know you said the company that you bought the rear quarter armor was going out of business, but checked and their website is still up. Problem is it only showed diamond plate options, not the nicer 1/8th stuff you have?

2017-10-07.png
Ditto on link calcs and picture details. Have put off doing the same for years and think I'd be ready to commit if I could afford ORI's.

Also, I know you said the company that you bought the rear quarter armor was going out of business, but checked and their website is still up. Problem is it only showed diamond plate options, not the nicer 1/8th stuff you have?
I'd love to do ORI's, but packaging is a nightmare in the 40 and I don't want to intrude into the tub. Plus, coils and shocks made linking the truck pretty cheap.
I'm not sure what's happening with Warrior Products. I have a friend that works there and he was saying that the company wasn't doing well last year, but it could be doing fine now?
Uppers are not set in stone yet, so the calculator is a "rough draft."

Last edited:
Progress is looking good! I missed that you are using square tube for links, what wall tube did you go with?

Have you decided on how you are going to cut the quarter panels to accommodate the WB stretch?

Keep up the great work!

I'm using 2x2 square tube .250 wall seamless for the lower links. I had it already, and it makes good link material. For the uppers, I'm using 1.75" DOM. The uppers don't see impact forces, so the size will work fine.
I'll use a jigsaw to open up the corners of the quarter panels. I didn't want a comp cut, but there isn't much choice once you stretch the wheelbase on a 40 tub.
Progress is looking good! I missed that you are using square tube for links, what wall tube did you go with?

Have you decided on how you are going to cut the quarter panels to accommodate the WB stretch?

Keep up the great work!

20171011_113836.jpg

I've finished the lower links, and am about to attach them to the frame. Upper link tabs are tacked in frame side, so I'll have them in in about an hour.
This has been a blast. My anti squat numbers are looking more like a drag car than a crawler, but what the hell.

And done. Ruffstuff forgot one of the pigtail retainers, so I can't put the springs in yet.
As soon as springs are in, I'm dropping the transfer cases and transmission and swapping the guts out of the broken transmission into a new case. Then it's off to wheel and break something else (I hope not)

20171011_164343.jpg

Nice work mr Jits. Looks great!

How much triangulation did you end up with on the uppers?
What coils did you end up going with?
I believe I have 32" of separation at the frame and 4" at the axle. I did manage to get some triangulation on the lower, but it's nothing great. 36" at the frame and 40" at the axle.
I have TJ front coils to start with (looks like they're going to work well), ZJ coils to try, and have a set of progressive TJ fronts on the way that I may use.

It looks like I may have gotten lucky with the transmission. Likely, I had bolts back put from the heavy vibration and clunking of the rear drive line (and a lack of loctite) which allowed the transfer case adapter to separate from the transmission. No breakage!
I'm going to install some studs into the transmission and use those rather than bolts to attach the adapter. That way I can run a few more ft/lbs on the adapter and keep things fastened.

As mentioned earlier (not by me), the TJ coils are too light for the application. The ZJ coils that were given to me are rears, so I picked up a set of ZJ front coils off of amazon. I'm hoping for an inch, maybe two inches over where it sits now. Two inches would put me an inch and a half over where I started (and is what I was hoping for).
Wheelbase ended up at 104", so overall stretch was about five inches total. I have some (and by some, I mean a lot) of trimming to do to the rear fenders, and still have to extend the driveshaft, but we have a trip planned for the 28th so I'm stoked to have it ready for that.

You may also try some 2dr JK rears. I worked at a 4x4 shop for a couple years, there was no shortage of old Jeep coil springs in the scrap pile. I'm sure if there was a Jeep or 4x4 shop near you, they would be glad to give or sell you for very cheap.

Finishing up the rear crossmember today. Tomorrow will be the install of the new springs, and Friday will be welding the exhaust back together.
I've got a couple of small things left (switch for the torque converter lock-up, and welding up the rear drive shaft) but I'll be wheeling on the 28th.

I have friends that run them in a 17" variety with 42" Pitbulls. No complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom