What should my expectations be for a $10k 100-series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2017 200-Series owner from SoCal here. The Cruiser bug has bit me hard. I want to pick up another LC for my cabin in Minnesota. I have a budget of $10k tops as this Cruiser will only get used at most 4-5k miles/year, it would only get used a total of 8 weeks over the year. Would be garage stored.

Over the past month, I've gone to go look at seven 100 series ranging from $6k-11k. I've gone to see 4 in the Mid-West and 3 were in SoCal. The conditions of these trucks were all over the place. What should I be expecting at $8-10k? In my eyes, the $6k Cruiser was not twice as good as $11k Cruiser even though it was twice the price. If this question is a bit vague in general, I apologize in advance but just trying to get an idea before I pull the trigger in the next month.

2003 Midwest truck - 200k miles - asking $11k, been always serviced at Dealer, one owner, OMG the undercarriage in the front end, looked like it had been brined in salt, interior wasn't good. Ran from it. Steering wasn't tight. Also the common rust on rear hatch. Pass

2000 Midwest 100 - 122k miles asking $8k, pretty sure it was original timing belt, needed new tires, undercarriage looked even worse. Surface rust on the rear hatch and tailgate near the latch. Leaky valve covers. Pass

1999 Midwest 100 - 205k miles, asking $6500, had the best undercarriage out of all the Midwest trucks I saw. Decent interior. Needed new tires. No rust at the rear hatch, body was excellent, with the exception of rust at the rear rockers in front of the rear wheels. Pass

2002 Midwest 100 - 220k miles, asking $6k, had the nicest interior out of all the cruisers I've seen, needs new tires, busted CV, original owner had new engine under warranty at 40k miles! Decent exterior, no more rust than the $8k one. - Might be the one

Of the SoCal Cruisers $8-10k were all in the 1998-2002 range, all of the undercarriages were nice, no rust, but the interior were not good. They were a lot more cracked up, the $8k one had tear in the drivers leather seat. Passed on all the SoCal Cruisers I saw. Sun UV really ate them up exterior and interior wise but nice not having undercarriage rust.

You are doing the right thing passing on anything with rust, 10k should get a 160-200k truck. Plan on a $2,000 baseline cost, weather it needs a timing belt, valve cover gaskets, steering rack, etc.

I have a 100 and 200, both great trucks!

IMG_0223.JPG
I drive my 100 more than the 200.

IMO I'd go for the socal cruisers, I would take cracked leather over a rusty frame any day leather can always be replaced. With a rusty frame it's a crap shoot, every bolt you have to deal with will need to be soaked in pb blaster or replaced because it will break and that would be the least of your worries. You can get leather replacements from somewhere around $300-600 depending on the manufacturer. Good luck!

I also have a 200 and 2 100's! For 10k you can get a nice rig IMO! I agree, I would expect 150k-200k miles, proly in the 1998-2002 range. Everything working on it, nice interior etc.. Keep up the search! My LX I bought this year was 10k, 200k miles, 2001, great shape inside and out, just fyi

i-8qK3RrT-X2.jpg

i-h82VkmC-X2.jpg

I just bought a 98 LX for 12k. 160k and all the major items replaced within last 18 months (rack, master cylinder, front end rebuild, etc). Leather is cheap to fix, at least around here you could get 4 seats re-done for about 1k. From most of what I have seen it's just the lowers that need replacing, which could be even cheaper. The leather on an almost 20 year old truck is not going to be perfect.

Just found out a client in SoCal is also a Cruiser fan. He told me he bought his pristine MY2000 in 2008 with 100k miles in Oregon for $10k when the economy was bad and gas was $4/gallon. Looked underneath it and at the interior and I could eat off of it, not a spec of rust.

He has 200k on it now, everything original, and that kind of gave me a baseline of the quality I would want for $10k. But just wow, knowing that 10 years ago, that was what they were going used.

I drive the 100 when I do not have complete control of where I park, the plastic side panels resist all door dings! Planning on making my kids share it... I doubt my son can even kill it!

If you decide on an LX, plan on changing out the suspension some day.

IMG_0086.JPG
The only thing I would change about the 100 is put the 5.7 out of my 200 in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom